Long HDMI cable - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 07-21-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK. Yes may squares are different colors but they are "large" squares rather than pixel size which it sounds like is what I would see if it was HDMI signal quality issues. In fact the squares I'm talking about, I have seen occasionally before I even had this long HDMI cable and they look like the same "squares" you see on bad satellite reception.

In fact I thought your same "all the same color" comment was referring the pixel-dropout sparkles rather than macroblocking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Ah...okay, now I see. And yes, typically (though not necessarily) when one sees pixel dropouts, they will all be the same color as one another. My suspicion would be that this is because in any marginal failure there's a good chance that two of the three data channels are getting through just fine and the third is failing. How that renders will then depend on issues like what the colorspace is, and how the display behaves in the face of corrupted data.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable
post #33 of 41 Old 09-07-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

I just realized that I never really thanked you Kurt. That's great customer support and I appreciate that. By the way everything is looking great. A few days after we started this posting, I had a problem across the border with my cable. So it was all a signal issue. Looks great now.

Thanks again.
post #34 of 41 Old 09-12-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdiver View Post

I need a long (about 100 feet probably) HDMI cable. I found this cable http://sewelldirect.com/Accell-Ultra...I-Cable-35.asp
They even have a longer version. Has anyone tried these cables?
Thanks.

I think the limit is usually around 50 feet for really good cables. Monoprice.com has a converter that extends it like 50 meter (150 ft) over 2 cat5 cables, it will be cheaper that way also. I don't think that you can go that far with 1080p (shorter range) but if you are doing 1080i or 720p it should be fine. I think they are like 100 bucks and a 100ft cat5 cable should be like 10 or 15 each.
post #35 of 41 Old 11-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Kurt,
Are there any unamplified, 30ft, Category 2, HDMI cables made?
post #36 of 41 Old 01-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Guys,

Equipment:
Samsung 6000
Denon 2313ci

Need a 50' hdmi cable to run from my av closet to the tv. Cable will be run through the floor to the crawl space under the house, back up through he floor to the tv. 50' will give me a couple of feet of slack on each end.

Please recommend a high quality hdmi cable. Is BJC recommended? Does temperature affect anything?
post #37 of 41 Old 03-20-2013, 11:40 PM

Have you considered using a HDMI extender? It runs a HDMI signal over cat5e ethernet cable. You can run it over 100m of ethernet cable. This way you will only need one short length of HDMI cable to plug into the receiver, one short length of HDMI cable to run into the extender, and an ethernet cable to join the two units. A lot of HDMI devices such as bluray players, PS3 etc recommend that you only use up to a 15m length of HDMI cable. The signal quality can be weak on the longer lengths unless its a really good quality HDMI cable.
post #38 of 41 Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy1975 View Post

Have you considered using a HDMI extender? It runs a HDMI signal over cat5e ethernet cable. You can run it over 100m of ethernet cable. This way you will only need one short length of HDMI cable to plug into the receiver, one short length of HDMI cable to run into the extender, and an ethernet cable to join the two units. A lot of HDMI devices such as bluray players, PS3 etc recommend that you only use up to a 15m length of HDMI cable. The signal quality can be weak on the longer lengths unless its a really good quality HDMI cable.

I've got some hands-on experience with HDMI extenders. For doing 2048x1080 video the circa-$120 boxes I used would not work with 150 feet of CAT5E. They would work at lower resolutions. They were fine with 50 feet and would probably go a little further than that.

As I understand the technology, it is very important to get the lengths of the two pieces of Ethernet cable exactly the same length.
post #39 of 41 Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Personally I use Fiber Optic HDMI cables for this kind of thing. I've found them to be more reliable than the lower priced CAT5/6/7 based extenders. The new ones from Celerity also have detachable ends for an easy wire pull.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #40 of 41 Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

Personally I use Fiber Optic HDMI cables for this kind of thing. I've found them to be more reliable than the lower priced CAT5/6/7 based extenders. The new ones from Celerity also have detachable ends for an easy wire pull.

Neat package, but at a price!
post #41 of 41 Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Neat package, but at a price!

Sure but also avoids any ground loop issues if the TV / projector is plugged into one outlet and the equipment is on another since the fiber optic connection is not a direct electrical connection like the type you get with a normal HDMI cable.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page