Yamaha HTR-6130 A/V Receiver Nuisances - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-27-2008, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the skinny:

I have the following devices I have hooked up to this Yamaha HTR-6130 A/V receiver:

- Motorola DCH3200 Cable Box (Comcast)
- Panasonic SA-PT750 DVD Player (still waiting for a sub $300 profile 20 Blu-Ray player...)
- 50" Sony WEGA 720p HDTV

The connections are setup like this:

Cable Box --HDMI--> A/V Receiver
Cable Box --Analog Audio Cables (Red+White)--> A/V Receiver
DVD Player --HDMI--> A/V Receiver
A/V Receiver --Component Cables (Video Only)--> HDTV

The result:

No picture from Cable Box.
Nothing at all from DVD Player.

The speakers themselves all work. The inputs on both the HDTV and the A/V Receiver are setup correctly when using the two other devices. All the connections in the back have been pentuple-checked. Is there any sane reason as to why this is happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Read your operator's manual.

Your system can shine no matter what it's made of.......except if it's Bose.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-13-2008, 08:42 AM

Not a very useful response from Mr. Audio...

On Page 16 of the manual it describes the HD connections. The HDMI input switcher only outputs thru the HDMI output. You can't input/switch HDMI and output thru the Component connections. If you TV only has Component inputs, then use the component outputs of your devices and the Component switcher on the amplifier.

Cheers,
The REAL Joe
post #4 of 7 Old 05-14-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viewtiful Jason View Post

Here's the skinny:

I have the following devices I have hooked up to this Yamaha HTR-6130 A/V receiver:

- Motorola DCH3200 Cable Box (Comcast)
- Panasonic SA-PT750 DVD Player (still waiting for a sub $300 profile 20 Blu-Ray player...)
- 50" Sony WEGA 720p HDTV

The connections are setup like this:

Cable Box --HDMI--> A/V Receiver
Cable Box --Analog Audio Cables (Red+White)--> A/V Receiver

The result:

No picture from Cable Box.
Nothing at all from DVD Player.

The speakers themselves all work. The inputs on both the HDTV and the A/V Receiver are setup correctly when using the two other devices. All the connections in the back have been pentuple-checked. Is there any sane reason as to why this is happening?

The problem is pretty obvious, if I'm reading your description correctly.

All your video signals you've got hooked up to your AVR are via HDMI, yet you're only connecting the AVR to your TV via component cables.

With your particular receiver, you can't have HDMI inputs into your receiver, output through component cables, and vice versa. This is why you're not getting a picture.

They have to match.

HDMI inputs into your receiver, will output to your TV through the HDMI output. Component inputs into your receiver, will output to your TV through component.

If you have both HDMI and component inputs used, you MUST connect your receiver to your TV with both HDMI and component cables in your case with the 6130. Some higher end AVRs can output everything connected to it over HDMI, whether it's S-video, composite, component, or HDMI. You do not have this option.

And FYI, your Yamaha HTR 6130 does NOT handle audio through HDMI. It only accepts video. So whatever equipment you're connecting to the AVR with HDMI (e.g. DVD player or cable box), needs a separate connection for the audio.

Here's your solution:

Cable Box --HDMI (video only)--> A/V Receiver
Cable Box --Analog Audio Cables (I recommend optical or digicoax instead)--> A/V Receiver
DVD Player --Optical/Coax/Analog cable --> A/V receiver
A/V Receiver --HDMI--> HDTV

You might have to play around with the settings on all your gear to make sure they work properly. And make sure you're on all the right inputs, obviously.

Hope this helps.

And like one of the previous posts, do read your manual for your AVR.. it does a pretty good job of outlining how to hook it all up.

p.s. If you can, upgrade to the 6140 for not much more $$$. It means less cables for you, because it can handle audio over HDMI, and accepts LCPM so you can enjoy all the lossless goodness from Blu-Ray movies, so long as that player (get a PS3) can internally decode the tracks.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-24-2008, 09:53 PM

someone help please. i have my ps3 connected via hdmi, i also have a optical cable connected to the receiver from the ps3, but i can only get video, no sound through the surround speakers. what could i be doing wrong?
post #6 of 7 Old 02-06-2009, 05:57 PM

hi,

can anyone tell me if is normal in ac receivers that i cant play audio from a dvd or ps3 with the HDMI cable.
at the shop, they told me it is how HDMI works in all devices. is thi true?
do i need n opticl cable or other cable to get audio?

thanks

Fixolas
post #7 of 7 Old 05-12-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpsi View Post

someone help please. i have my ps3 connected via hdmi, i also have a optical cable connected to the receiver from the ps3, but i can only get video, no sound through the surround speakers. what could i be doing wrong?

Press AMP on remote then MENU. Scroll down using D-Pad to "Manual Setup"
Press enter. Scroll down using D-Pad to "Input Menu" Press Enter.

Is you're PS3 connected to the reciever via one of the HDMI inputs?

Assuming it is then you need to manually assign the digital optical input jack the PS3 is transmitting it's audio signal through to the HDMI connection you have made.

Plug the HDMI into ps3. Plug other end into DVD HDMI input on reciever. Plug Optical cable into ps3. Plug other end into the optical input jack labeled "2." Take second HDMI and connect reciever to television via the output on receiver.

Turn on reciever and ps3.

On remote for reciever press amp then press menu. "Basic Setup" appears. Use D-Pad to scroll down once to "Manual Setup"

Press Enter. Use D-Pad to scroll down to "Input Menu" Press Enter.

Display should read " A) Input Assign" Press enter and scroll down till display reads "2) ........" Then scroll right until display reads DVD.

Press enter and then menu to get out of setup.

If ps3 is on and still no sound from speakers. Then enter sound sub menu under settings. scroll up to select optical cable.

that should do it.

PSN ID: BigTrees
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat