Simple questions about a simple setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-06-2008, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
efc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've always been a two-channel guy. This is my first foray into the HT realm. I'd like to set up a basic 3.0 system. At this point, I don't have any interest in the surround channels yet. I have a slight idea about how to connect the different pieces of equipment, and would appreciate any comments from you.

First, these are the equipments:

- LCD TV: Sharp 46D62U
- Receiver: (not yet decided...probably a Marantz 5002...advice welcome)
- DVD player: (not yet decided...but not a blu-ray one...advice welcome)
- CD player: Sony CA8ES
- Speakers: Paradigm Signature S2 + will buy a Paradigm center channel.
- Cable: an HD box (non-recordable) from my cable provider (Cogeco)

I'd like to be able to watch the TV both with and without having to turn the receiver on. Here's the connections that I plan to do:

1) Cable box to TV: Compenent video plus a standard RCA (L-R) connection for audio. Cogeco told me that they don't support HDMI for this type of box (Motorola DCT 6200) even though the box is HDMI capable.

2) Cable box to receiver: A coaxial or optical connection for multi-channel audio. Question Considering that I already have an RCA L-R audio connection to the TV in the previous step, can I do this step? That is, can I have both types of connections going at the same time?

3) DVD player to TV: Either an HDMI, or component video plus L-R audio. Question: If I want to benefit form the upscaling capability of the DVd player, do I have to use HDMI? Or is component video also OK?

4) DVD player to receiver: A coaxial or optical connection. Question: Again, can I do this considering that I already connect L-R audio to the TV?

5) CD player to receiver: A simple RCA connection or an optical connection (Can I do both?)

6) Receiver to speakers: Standard three-channel connections

That's it. Does this work? I think this scheme will allow me to watch the TV or DVD with or without having to turn on the receiver.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I'd also appreciate your advice about what receiver to get. I can spend up to $,1000 but I don't want to spend more than I have to, considering my simple setup. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-06-2008, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have said this before and I'll say it again, why on earth would you ever want to listen to TV or DVDs through the tinny crappy little speakers in your display instead of those beautiful S2s? Not to mention it makes switching between inputs much more of a PITA.

DVD player -- the Oppo 983HD is $400 and is nearly the best upscaling player on the market.

Receiver -- the 5002 is fine, although you aren't giving yourself and future-proofing. The 7002 would better if you could swing it (and would certainly be a better justify those S2s!). Has a much better remote too.

1. yes, that will work
2. yes, optical or coaxial will work
3 and 4. yes, HDMI to the TV and optical/coaxial to the receiver will typically work
5. just like 2-channel world....if you want to use the DACs in the CD player, run analog, if you want to use the DACs in the receiver, run an optical/coaxial cable
6. yes

Or you could bypass all that complicated and un-ergonomic silliness and just connect everything straight to the receiver (sat receiver: component + optical/coaxial, dvd player: hdmi only).
post #3 of 8 Old 05-06-2008, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efc View Post

I'd like to be able to watch the TV both with and without having to turn the receiver on.

Why?
post #4 of 8 Old 05-06-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
efc

Hi rynberg and Iwien...Thanks for the reply. I understand that it will be much more ergonomic to connect everything through the receiver. But the problem is the wife (what else?, Ha! Ha!). She just likes to watch the TV and DVD the way it currently is. Well...maybe she'll change her mind after she has a taste of what the HT setup sounds like. Thanks again.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-06-2008, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I route everything to the TV. Then route the TV output to your amp and speakers.
Most any receiver should be able to synthesize a center output for you. May not
be ideal, but should be easy for both you and the wife.

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-06-2008, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
efc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post

I route everything to the TV. Then route the TV output to your amp and speakers.

dknights...Thanks for your reply. Just to make sure I understand it properly, do you mean by "synthesize" that the receiver will receive an L-R input from the TV and then create signal for the center channel from it? Thanks.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-06-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by efc View Post

dknights...Thanks for your reply. Just to make sure I understand it properly, do you mean by "synthesize" that the receiver will receive an L-R input from the TV and then create signal for the center channel from it? Thanks.

yep. It is basically a sum of what goes to left and right.

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-06-2008, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post

He has Paradigm Signature speakers and you want him to route all of the analog audio through the cheap crappy switching within the TV? Ok...

Don't worry about whatever your wife fears. Just hook it up and run it. I guarantee that, at the minimum, she will get used to it. More likely is that she will greatly prefer it and wonder why she would ever prefer it otherwise.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page