I need PS3 audio help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-21-2008, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a PS3 that I'd like to hookup to my HDTV, but the HDTV does not have an HDMI input, the HDTV has DVI input with analog audio inputs and no optical audio input. I have an HDMI-to-DVI cable, but since the DVI input is only a video interface I don't get audio. Currently I have it hooked up using the component cables, but I'd like to get the best picture possible, especially for Blu-Ray movies, so I'd like to use the HDMI connection. Does anyone have any suggestions to get the audio while using th HDMI-to-DVI cable? I plan on buying an A/V Receiver in the next month or 2, so I'm looking for a temporary fix. Does anyone know if an HDMI-to-DVI with analog audio converter exists? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-21-2008, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_rules View Post

I have a PS3 that I'd like to hookup to my HDTV, but the HDTV does not have an HDMI input, the HDTV has DVI input with analog audio inputs and no optical audio input. I have an HDMI-to-DVI cable, but since the DVI input is only a video interface I don't get audio. Currently I have it hooked up using the component cables, but I'd like to get the best picture possible, especially for Blu-Ray movies, so I'd like to use the HDMI connection. Does anyone have any suggestions to get the audio while using th HDMI-to-DVI cable? I plan on buying an A/V Receiver in the next month or 2, so I'm looking for a temporary fix. Does anyone know if an HDMI-to-DVI with analog audio converter exists? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Can the PS3 pass 2-channel analog audio? If so, can it do it while an HDMI connection is also being used? And I'm not so certain that the HDMI connection will necessarily give you better video than component video cables.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 7 Old 07-21-2008, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking because I'm kinda new to this stuff, but there are no audio ouputs on the PS3.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-21-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Use the HDMI out on the PS3. It won't know or care if you use a HDMI to DVI adapter.
Then, somewhere in the PS3's vast menus, you will find a place to select between HDMI audio on or off. You want it off. This will enable you to use the stereo audio/composite video multi-cable that came with your PS3. Just don't use the composite video cable. It's the yellow one.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-21-2008, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Can the PS3 pass 2-channel analog audio? If so, can it do it while an HDMI connection is also being used? And I'm not so certain that the HDMI connection will necessarily give you better video than component video cables.

I don't believe he is using component cables. I think he is using the multi-out, which includes stereo audio and a composite video cable.

To answer your question, yes it will pass 2 channel, and yes I believe (I could be wrong though ) it will pass HDMI video and 2 channel audio at the same time. I know it passes HDMI video and fiber optic audio at the same time. It is probably just a matter of getting the correct settings in the menu. They are extensive.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-21-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie View Post

To answer your question, yes it will pass 2 channel, and yes I believe (I could be wrong though ) it will pass HDMI video and 2 channel audio at the same time. I know it passes HDMI video and fiber optic audio at the same time. It is probably just a matter of getting the correct settings in the menu. They are extensive.

Yes, it will.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-21-2008, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I don't believe he is using component cables. I think he is using the multi-out, which includes stereo audio and a composite video cable.

I see. He said component, so.............
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_rules View Post

......I have it hooked up using the component cables.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

If so, can it do it while an HDMI connection is also being used?

Quote:

To answer your question, yes it will pass 2 channel, and yes I believe (I could be wrong though ) it will pass HDMI video and 2 channel audio at the same time.

Yeah, I meant is it physically possible. With one of the consoles it is impossible to utilize two of something simultaneously. One thingie actually phyisically restricts the other thingie from being plugged in.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page