Rotel Pre - Out to McIntosh MC501 sounds weak? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-17-2008, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sooo, I have a pair of Revel F12's, a James Cinema 12 sub, James S83 center, and B&W surrounds (in ceiling). I had a Rotel RSX-1058 driving the whole system, but have just added a McIntosh MC500 to power my center. Here is the issue. With the distance levels set with my Radio Shack meter, it all sounded ok. I thought this extra power from such a great amp would add more detail to my more than capable center channel. I have a tributaries interconnect going from the center 1 channel preout to the right (bridged) input of the Mcintosh, the interconnect is about 18". I am using a braided Ixos 11 AWG speaker wire and the center now sounds like it is running on half the power. I am using the -8 positive terminal and the left channel common (though I have tried the right channel comon as well with no change). The problem is that the center now lacks any kind of punch. The sound is there, but I had to set my distance level from +3 to +7(max) for it to even sound as good as it did. The sound coming from it is good, but the level seems to so much lower that my l/C/R and surrounds. Do you all see any issues with this? Where is all my power going?

Thanks,

MJB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-18-2008, 09:54 AM

Is it the MC501 or the MC500?

Plus the interconnect/speaker cable would not matter.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-18-2008, 10:26 AM

Is there a bridge switch that needs to turned on? I had a similar problem with a different amp until I saw the switch. Also I would use the amp to drive the mains instead of the center.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-18-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

It is the MC500 and the bridge switch is on. I read some othe rinformation that suggests I need to connect the two anmp channels need to be jumpered together then run to the speaker. Interesting, I am going to try it tonight.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-21-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theintegrator View Post

It is the MC500 and the bridge switch is on. I read some othe rinformation that suggests I need to connect the two anmp channels need to be jumpered together then run to the speaker. Interesting, I am going to try it tonight.

any luck?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page