4 conductor speaker wire - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-02-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Oktoberfest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 4 conductor wire running from my 2nd floor to the ground floor (in ceiling speakers - zone 2). The cable is extremely short coming out of the wall - maybe 6-8 inches, and I have no way to connect this without extending it or having someone come out and do something (new home construction). So, a couple of questions:

Do I intertwine the black/red lines together for the right speaker and intertwine the white/green together for the left? Then run to receiver.

Is it possible to add speaker cable to the intertwined black/red to run it to my receiver? I need about another foot to foot and half. Should I have my homebuilder come back out and look at 4-con?
Oktoberfest is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 09-02-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whoaru99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
It's fine to extend the wires as necessary using "normal" speaker wire.

However, what two wires make up the correct pairs, and which wires within the pairs are + and - will have to be determined by checking how the speakers are connected to the other ends of the wires.

If this is a new install and it somehow doesn't meet the specs/quote/bid, then by all means have the contractor fix it.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
whoaru99 is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 09-03-2008, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Oktoberfest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

It's fine to extend the wires as necessary using "normal" speaker wire.

However, what two wires make up the correct pairs, and which wires within the pairs are + and - will have to be determined by checking how the speakers are connected to the other ends of the wires.

If this is a new install and it somehow doesn't meet the specs/quote/bid, then by all means have the contractor fix it.

Thanks for the reply whoaru99. I received confirmation from the company that put in the speakers, which wires are + and -. I'm in the process of determining who was responsible for running the original lines. So, it is ok and normal to roll the 2 + (and 2 -) together and then connect a single speaker wire and run it to my receiver? If that makes sense.
Oktoberfest is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 09-03-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jim Hef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Yardley, PA
Posts: 4,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there two speakers connected at the other end of the run, or is the in-wall speaker a stereo coax? With either, they just used four conductor cable to make the run easier for them, and you would not combine the wires together, you would have two separate + and two separate - to connect to the receiver's right and left channels.
Jim Hef is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 09-03-2008, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whoaru99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post

Thanks for the reply whoaru99. I received confirmation from the company that put in the speakers, which wires are + and -. I'm in the process of determining who was responsible for running the original lines. So, it is ok and normal to roll the 2 + (and 2 -) together and then connect a single speaker wire and run it to my receiver? If that makes sense.

As Jim Hef implies, whether or not those pairs of wires can be combined depends on if the speakers are intended to be a stereo pair, or a single speaker with stereo capability.

Those concerns notwithstanding, if you connect only to one channel of your receiver/amp, you will be missing some of the sound unless the receiver/amp has mono output.

So, without knowing more of what's on the other end of the wires, I'd probably not twist them together and operate from one channel of your receiver. If I implied that, I apologize. It was only my intent to generically say it's OK to extend using normal speaker wire while being observant of polarity etc.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
whoaru99 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 09-03-2008, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Oktoberfest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks again for the replies. I had 2 proficient audio in-ceiling speakers installed in our loft. The 2 speakers run to a single volume control on the wall. The 4 conductor wire runs down to the 1st floor to our media area behind out TV. My understanding is that 2 wires control the right speaker and 2 wires control the left. If I understand correctly, I can run 4 separate speaker wires off each (Red, black, white, green) into my receiver? This will be Zone 2, which I will hookup to my new Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K. I plan on using the surround speakers for Zone 2. I'm absolutely clueless on how to hook these up. They were supposed to hook it up for me, but I didn't have a receiver at the time.
Oktoberfest is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 09-03-2008, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whoaru99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Pretty straightforward, really.

Just get the extra length of wire that you will need. 16 gauge is more than adequate.

It's probably be easiest if you could get a piece of the same type of wire for easier color coding, but if not, then just keep track of the wire colors as you're extending them.

I think if the install was done using the CEA wiring color codes it should be:

Right + = Red
Right - = Black

Left + = White
Left - = Green

How ever you choose to extend the wires, ensure they connect to the Surround Back/B terminals of the receiver as indicated in the list above. Of course, this assumes the installer followed the CEA color code.

Then, in the receiver setup, you'll need to set the Surround Back speaker configuration to Zone 2.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
whoaru99 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 09-03-2008, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Oktoberfest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

Pretty straightforward, really.

Just get the extra length of wire that you will need. 16 gauge is more than adequate.

It's probably be easiest if you could get a piece of the same type of wire for easier color coding, but if not, then just keep track of the wire colors as you're extending them.

I think if the install was done using the CEA wiring color codes it should be:

Right + = Red
Right - = Black

Left + = White
Left - = Green

How ever you choose to extend the wires, ensure they connect to the Surround Back/B terminals of the receiver as indicated in the list above. Of course, this assumes the installer followed the CEA color code.

Then, in the receiver setup, you'll need to set the Surround Back speaker configuration to Zone 2.

Thanks again for the replies. I now see the "B" on the surround back speaker connections (sorry). After looking it over it does seem pretty straight forward now. It appears as if I just need to buy some speaker wire. Thanks again!
Oktoberfest is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 09-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Member
 
Danknowsnothing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post

I have 4 conductor wire running from my 2nd floor to the ground floor (in ceiling speakers - zone 2). The cable is extremely short coming out of the wall - maybe 6-8 inches, and I have no way to connect this without extending it or having someone come out and do something (new home construction). So, a couple of questions:

Do I intertwine the black/red lines together for the right speaker and intertwine the white/green together for the left? Then run to receiver.

Is it possible to add speaker cable to the intertwined black/red to run it to my receiver? I need about another foot to foot and half. Should I have my homebuilder come back out and look at 4-con?

Someone correct me if wrong, but wouldn't his best bet here to terminate the 4x speaker wire coming out of the wall in a wall plate like http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=261-354 rather than twisting wires together?
Danknowsnothing is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 09-04-2008, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jim Hef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Yardley, PA
Posts: 4,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They always look neat when completed, but it's one more connection in the pipe to worry about. Better just to splice if that will be hidden from view from the room.
Jim Hef is offline  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off