5.1[6 channel] To 7.1[8channel] Analogue Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2008, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have a 5.1 reciver and am looking at either the sony s550 or pana db55 wich both have 7.1 analogue outs.. but i dont know what i would do with the two extra channels? i was thinking maybe use y connecters on the surround L/R inputs of the reciever and then i would be able to connect both surround L/R and rear surround L/R of the BD player into the surround L/R (now with a Y connectors) input of the 5.1 reciever, confused yet ?? but i thought this is the wrong way to do it. as i can't get the manual for either moedel i dont know if you can simply set output to 5.1 onthe analogues, but if you cant what can i do ( appart from simply not plug the rear surround L/R in ). Or better is there any converter box to plug 7.1 channels into one end and have 5.1 channels out the other ( evan if this is a bad idea i would love to see pics if these are avaliable ). Hope to hear from you guys soon. Regards Marty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Marty,

Like you said, the manuals aren't out for those two players, so there's now way to know for sure whether you can set them to output 7.1-channel soundtracks (especially LPCM) as 5.1 via the analogue outputs. It's most likely they will downmix the 4 surround channels to 2, but no way to confirm right now.

I wouldn't recommend not connecting the surround-back outputs, since you'll lose the information in those channels. Your only other option will be to use Y-connectors to combine surround and surround-back channels. Unfortunately, this won't combine the channels properly (compared to downmixing), but I don't see any other alternative.

Hopefully both players will do downmixing, so you won't have to resort to Y-connectors.

Sanjay

Sanjay