Seperate systems for music and movies or one setup for both? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-24-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is it better to have one integrated system for music and Movies or two different systems for both?

I do know that a $500.00 NAD or H/K Multichannel Receiver or a 2 channel receiver or amp will sound better than a $200.00 sony, Kenwood or Insignia AVR or stereo receiver and thats a given common sense fact.

But my dellima with people who use their multi system as a music system wouldn't vocals coming from the center and all the other stuff coming from the surrounds be distracting if its not a dualdisc or Multichannel audio disc? I'm

and if the front speakers are large "8" woofer and above woulnt they sound best set to large? esp for music listening. And if you have common seince you will notice any distortion during a movie and turn it down wouldnt you?

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-24-2008, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:

I do know that a $500.00 NAD or H/K Multichannel Receiver or a 2 channel receiver or amp will sound better than a $200.00 sony, Kenwood or Insignia AVR or stereo receiver and thats a given common sense fact.

Sometimes, not always.

Quote:

But my dellima with people who use their multi system as a music system wouldn't vocals coming from the center and all the other stuff coming from the surrounds be distracting if its not a dualdisc or Multichannel audio disc? I'm

Indeed you are. If you listen to a 2-channel recording, with your AVR set for 2 channels, you will only get sound from the LF and RF speakers. So you can get the exact same sound, whatever amp/receiver you use.

With an AVR, it's also possible to set the receiver to simulate surround sound from a stereo recording. It's nowhere near as crude as you're imagining, and some people like the effect.

Quote:

and if the front speakers are large "8" woofer and above woulnt they sound best set to large? esp for music listening.

Not necessarily. I'd recommend trying it both ways.

Quote:

And if you have common seince you will notice any distortion during a movie and turn it down wouldnt you?

Huh?

Quote:

Drinking while listening may cause instruments to sound closer than they actually are.

I'd be more concerned about drinking while typing.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 5 Old 10-24-2008, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

Is it better to have one integrated system for music and Movies or two different systems for both?

I do know that a $500.00 NAD or H/K Multichannel Receiver or a 2 channel receiver or amp will sound better than a $200.00 sony, Kenwood or Insignia AVR or stereo receiver and thats a given common sense fact. maybe. maybe not. merely because something costs more doesn't mean it will "sound better".

But my dellima with people who use their multi system as a music system wouldn't vocals coming from the center and all the other stuff coming from the surrounds be distracting if its not a dualdisc or Multichannel audio disc? I'm if your speakers are set up correctly (and the recording doesn't suck), the music/vocals doesn't sound like it's coming from the speakers at all. if the vocalist is supposed to be in the middle of the stage, it'll "sound like" that's where he/she is. also, as mcnarus points out, some like the dsp processing in avrs that allows 'surround' from a 2 channel recording.

and if the front speakers are large "8" woofer and above woulnt they sound best set to large? esp for music listening. And if you have common seince you will notice any distortion during a movie and turn it down wouldnt you?doubtful. the gods of music reproduction invented subwoofers for a reason. i don't understand the last sentence at all.

dude... you have over 2000 posts here... is this post really serious??

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4 of 5 Old 10-24-2008, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

If you're spending less than you would on a 3-year old German car you want one for both.

Quote:

2-channel music comes out of the left and right speakers with low bass potentially redirect to the sub-woofer just like with a 2-channel only system.

Quote:

and if the front speakers are large "8" woofer and above woulnt they sound best set to large? esp for music listening. And if you have common seince you will notice any distortion during a movie and turn it down wouldnt you?

An 8" driver can't move enough air to play low (40Hz) frequencies at reasonable levels with acceptable distortion. Assuming your sub-woofer doesn't suck (many built for home theater don't have flat response) and speakers are smaller than a person you'll do better with them set to "small".

I use a couple of long-throw 10" bass drivers per side, and they only produce enough clean output down to 40-50Hz.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-24-2008, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The sub sucks its FAR from flat, I was getting another "new" sub anyway.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page