7.1 analog audio set up question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-30-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picked up a blu ray player over the weekend which has the 7.1 analog audio outputs. Since my receiver is a few years old without HDMI and now is not the right time to upgrade receivers setting it up analog to get Dobly True HD and DTS MA is my only option right now. I'll keep the optical cable on for the regular DTS and DD audio, but for the HD audio I figure it's how I'll get it since my receiver has 6 channel input jacks. Now my question is do I need to buy 6 individual coax cables, or will some of my older cables that were composite and 2 channel mono cables? I know the cables I have carry analog and not digital signals like the coax cable may but the outputs are analog so I don't know. Thanks for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-30-2008, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
They should be fine. If not, you will know. ;-)

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 Old 08-09-2009, 01:58 PM

i have the same question, but your answer was so brief...

what type of audio cables should one use from a blu-ray player (LG 390) to an older non-HDMI receiver (yamaha 5660) that has analog audio inputs? regular old-fashioned red/white audio cables??

thanks much...
post #4 of 16 Old 08-09-2009, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssoto0055 View Post

Picked up a blu ray player over the weekend which has the 7.1 analog audio outputs. Since my receiver is a few years old without HDMI and now is not the right time to upgrade receivers setting it up analog to get Dobly True HD and DTS MA is my only option right now. I'll keep the optical cable on for the regular DTS and DD audio, but for the HD audio I figure it's how I'll get it since my receiver has 6 channel input jacks. Now my question is do I need to buy 6 individual coax cables, or will some of my older cables that were composite and 2 channel mono cables? I know the cables I have carry analog and not digital signals like the coax cable may but the outputs are analog so I don't know. Thanks for the help guys.

Why are you keeping the optical cable for legacy DD and DTS? The player will decode those signals and pass them via the analog outputs as well. Plus it is one less cable junking up your equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

They should be fine. If not, you will know. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Met View Post

what type of audio cables should one use from a blu-ray player (LG 390) to an older non-HDMI receiver (yamaha 5660) that has analog audio inputs? regular old-fashioned red/white audio cables??

thanks much...

Yes, any sort of analog cable will work. Use what you have or treat yourself and buy some new ones. Go to

http://www.monoprice.com/

if you are cheap, or for a few extra bucks,

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/.

I buy all my cables from Blue Jeans Cable now.

Resident Curmudgeon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 Old 08-09-2009, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

Why are you keeping the optical cable for legacy DD and DTS? The player will decode those signals and pass them via the analog outputs as well.

Yes, it will, but perhaps his receiver has better digital processing tools for bass management and EQ. That's why I use analog for lossless and S/PDIF for legacy digital.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-09-2009, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Yes, it will, but perhaps his receiver has better digital processing tools for bass management and EQ. That's why I use analog for lossless and S/PDIF for legacy digital.

That may be true but what is the impact on the listening experience between lossy and lossless? Do you really think legacy would sound worse through the multichannel analog outputs?

By the way, I have my system set up so that the HDMI output of my BD player handles all data (bitstream) for BD and DVD playback, but I use the optical output of the BD player for CD playback as it allows me to adjust the input trim for the optical input differently from the HDMI input to optimize Audyssey Dynamic EQ performance.

Resident Curmudgeon

post #7 of 16 Old 08-09-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That may be true but what is the impact on the listening experience between lossy and lossless? Do you really think legacy would sound worse through the multichannel analog outputs?

It depends on your room and equipment. It turns out that I'm fine with analog or digital for most legacy sources on my equipment in my room.

But, I really appreciate having the digital connection for stereo sources, which allows me to apply PLII in my receiver. For most people with 7.1 systems, the digital path for legacy encodes is the only way to get audio to their rear speakers.

Quote:

By the way, I have my system set up so that the HDMI output of my BD player handles all data (bitstream) for BD and DVD playback, but I use the optical output of the BD player for CD playback as it allows me to adjust the input trim for the optical input differently from the HDMI input to optimize Audyssey Dynamic EQ performance.

Yep. The extra cable and transmission path give you added options to fine tune your audio outputs.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-09-2009, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

thanks much...

Yes. The color is not important.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #9 of 16 Old 08-09-2009, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:

Do you really think legacy would sound worse through the multichannel analog outputs?

If the analogue connections prevent you from applying room correction and other useful processing, then legacy will sound worse. Given the choice, would you rather listen to lossless using your player's crossovers and no room correction or listen to legacy lossy using your receiver's bass management and room EQ?

Sanjay
post #10 of 16 Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

If the analogue connections prevent you from applying room correction and other useful processing, then legacy will sound worse. Given the choice, would you rather listen to lossless using your player's crossovers and no room correction or listen to legacy lossy using your receiver's bass management and room EQ?

I assumed the OPs AVR did not support any sort of room correction, given its age and lack of HDMI capability. Not all AVRs do (Rotel for instance does not. Not even the latest models do.). Not all older AVRs have sophisticated bass management capabilities either. Maybe that was a bad assumption, I don't know. But if it wasn't, the question is valid. Why would legacy sound worse through multichannel analog then through a digital connection?

Resident Curmudgeon

post #11 of 16 Old 08-09-2009, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I assumed the OPs AVR did not support any sort of room correction, given its age and lack of HDMI capability. Maybe that was a bad assumption, I don't know.

Yes, a bad assumption, although it may be true. I have a receiver that fits the OP's description - a few years old without HDMI - but it features room correction.

Quote:

Not all older AVRs have sophisticated bass management capabilities either.

Perhaps not sophisticated, but variable crossovers are quite common. And, that alone can make a difference.

The bottom line here: there are lots of good reasons to use a digital connection for non-lossless playback. The tone of your initial question made it sound like the OP had no good reason for considering such an approach.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-10-2009, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:

I assumed the OPs AVR did not support any sort of room correction, given its age and lack of HDMI capability. Maybe that was a bad assumption, I don't know.

If we dismiss room correction, then there is still the likelihood that the receiver's bass management and time alignment have greater flexibility and finer degrees of adjustment compared to the player. This would allow the user to better fit the crossovers to his speakers' capabilities and dial in speaker distances for a more cohesive soundfield.
Quote:

Not all older AVRs have sophisticated bass management capabilities either.

OK, if we now dismiss differences in bass management and time alignment, then there's still D-to-A conversion and analogue signal path. Chances are that those are better on receivers than the typical player. Sending the signal via analogue cables means that, no matter how good the DACs and analogue stage your receiver are, you're ultimately listening to the DACs and analogue stage of the player (not to mention sending the signal through two sets of analogue circuitry).
Quote:

Why would legacy sound worse through multichannel analog then through a digital connection?

Each one of these features alone may not make much difference. But taken cumulatively (bass management, time alignment, D/A conversion, analogue stage, room correction) the improvements can add up when letting the receiver handle the raw digital signal instead of the player.

Sanjay
post #13 of 16 Old 08-10-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry guys. I'm just not convinced that there would be that significant a difference. Guess its just the stubborn Polack in me.

Resident Curmudgeon

post #14 of 16 Old 08-11-2009, 08:47 PM

you guys are waaaaaay ahead of me, so excuse the remedial question:

if i hook up both optical and 5.1 analog from LG BluRay player to yamaha receiver, do i have to specify in the player which output to use? or are both outputted by default? thanx...
post #15 of 16 Old 08-11-2009, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Sorry guys. I'm just not convinced that there would be that significant a difference.

Most average BD players have very poor bass and time management capabilities. Their analog outputs are usually not much more than an afterthought. And most AVR's multichannel analog inputs cannot be bass and time managed, nor EQ'd (if applicable). Nor can any other additional processing be applied to the analog inputs. For a 7.1 setup and a receiver with only 6-channel analog inputs (as opposed to 8), the ability to apply a further DSP (i.e. DPLIIx) is a necessity if one wants to achieve 7.1 sound. Given the choice, I would bitstream DD and DTS to the AVR every time in this instance. The AVR is going to be more versatile and more flexible. And will probably deliver higher quality.

Which begs the question, OP, how are you going to get 7.1 audio when using your receiver's 6-channel analog inputs?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #16 of 16 Old 08-11-2009, 09:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

you guys are waaaaaay ahead of me, so excuse the remedial question:

if i hook up both optical and 5.1 analog from LG BluRay player to yamaha receiver, do i have to specify in the player which output to use? or are both outputted by default? thanx...

You'll have to fiddle around. Most likely they are both output simultaneously.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page