Liked: 10
First the gear:

Sony XBR6 46" LCD
Sony BPD S-350
Denon AVR 2807 (Weak Link)
B & W DM 603
Monster Cable HDMI from Blu Ray to Receiver and From Receiver to Monitor
Charter cable, no box, is the signal for now

Problem: Will not pass signal to receiver that receiver can recognize as Dolby Digital Audio. Will only play in Dolby PL II.

Connected Blu ray additionally to receiver using Toshlink cable and Dolby Digital works just fine.

Can anyone help me remedy this situation. I would prefer to use the HDMI to pass both video and audio and use the Toshlink to pass audio from TV to receiver. I am sure there is some certain thing I am missing in the set up. Have gone through entire TV, receiver and blu ray players setups and can't seem to find the problem. Is it possible the HDMI 1.1a ports on the receiver are the problem? Thanks for any help.

Main System:
Panasonic - VIERA / TCP55VT50
Emotiva XPA-5 X-Ref 12 sub
Denon X4000
Oppo BDP 93
B & W N804 Mains, 603 Rear surrounds, LCR 600 Center, ASW 600 sub, B & W CDS6 S3 rear heights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjim57 View Post

First the gear:

Sony XBR6 46" LCD
Sony BPD S-350
B & W DM 603

Problem: Will not pass signal to receiver that receiver can recognize as Dolby Digital Audio. Will only play in Dolby PL II.

Connected Blu ray additionally to receiver using Toshlink cable and Dolby Digital works just fine.

Can anyone help me remedy this situation. I would prefer to use the HDMI to pass both video and audio and use the Toshlink to pass audio from TV to receiver. I am sure there is some certain thing I am missing in the set up. Have gone through entire TV, receiver and blu ray players setups and can't seem to find the problem. Is it possible the HDMI 1.1a ports on the receiver are the problem? Thanks for any help.

My guess is that you have the receiver's HDMI audio turned on and since the TV only has two speakers, it's telling the receiver to only send it 2ch audio; this gets sent up the chain to the BD player which happily obliges. If you turn off the HDMI audio from the receiver to the TV, then the receiver should tell the BD player that it's capable of MCH audio. I'm not familiar with all your components, but this is my guess.

W. Lee Hendrick
post #3 of 8 Old 12-08-2008, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjim57 View Post

First the gear:

Sony XBR6 46" LCD
Sony BPD S-350
B & W DM 603

Well, your post is confusing. Do you have HDMI going to the TV first or to the receiver? Because you say ".....and use the Toshlink to pass audio from TV to receiver". This will present a whole other issue as most TVs cannot pass-through multichannel audio via toslink. They will only pass 5.1 audio from what they receive via their OTA tuners.

Are you trying to pass plain ol' DD/DTS to the receiver via HDMI? Or the lossless codecs? You may need to set the player to multichannel PCM instead of bitstream if your receiver can't accept bitstream of the hirez codecs.

Also, you may need to set the receiver to automatically apply DD/DTS/etc. to the HDMI input, initially, and it should remember what to apply automatically after that.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #4 of 8 Old 12-08-2008, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Did you set the HDMI audio setting to "AMP" and not "TV"? See pg 49 in the manual.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #5 of 8 Old 12-08-2008, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
What is the Audio Output Priority setting on the S350?
Are you changing it when switching between optical and HDMI?

Only one output will send multichannel sound. The rest are limited to 2 channels of PCM.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-09-2008, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

I had HDMI connected to the receiver first from the blu ray player and then to the TV from the receiver. I only hooked the toshlink cable to pass the DTS sound.

Main System:
Denon X4000
Oppo BDP 93
B & W N804 Mains, 603 Rear surrounds, LCR 600 Center, ASW 600 sub, B & W CDS6 S3 rear heights
post #7 of 8 Old 12-09-2008, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

I will check that out when I get home tonight. Thanks.

Main System:
Denon X4000
Oppo BDP 93
post #8 of 8 Old 12-09-2008, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help/ Reading the manuals and trial and error have gotten me what I needed. I really do not like the on screen display mode of my Denon receiver. Seems very antiquated. But it works, and now I have wonderful HDMI sound to go with my HD picture.

New question. I programed the remote of the receiver to provide minimal control of the Sony TV, on and off, change channels. Maybe more but have not really tried yet. I also made an attempt to program it to control my Blu Ray player. No such luck. I tried all three provided codes and none seemed to work. Is there a means of correcting this, other then buying an all in one remote that has to be programed for each component? If not, then one day I may take that direction.

Main System:
Denon X4000
Oppo BDP 93
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page