Using two speakers from Audio out of TV without receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-05-2009, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a quick question to ask, and I will eventually go about doing this the proper way, but for now, this is my goal:

I have this TV: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-REGZA-.../dp/B000MXYCU4
I have these speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Energy-C-100-B...1173831&sr=1-9

My goal is to hook these two speakers up to my TV using the TV's audio out...I just don't know how to go about doing this or if it is even possible without a receiver.

Eventually (after I get this semester's tuition paid off) I will be buying a receiver, and eventually going into a 5.1 setup. I'm aware that the receive is the "correct" way to go. I will be using a PS3, Xbox 360, HD cable box on this tv, and currently they are all hooked up via hdmi to the tv. I am under the impression that if the audio out on the TV were filled, and enabled, then I would be able to get a decent (better than the built-in speakers) sound out of the energy bookshelf speakers.

Please let me know if any clarification is needed, or if this is a repost of a question I missed when I did my search before posting.

Thanks so much for your assistance, this forum is simply astounding.

William.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-05-2009, 09:01 AM

I'm pretty sure that you would need powered speakers to be able to use the outputs on the TV. I don't think they would put an amplifier in the TV.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-05-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by xazraelx View Post

My goal is to hook these two speakers up to my TV using the TV's audio out...I just don't know how to go about doing this or if it is even possible without a receiver.

Nah... you need at least a "stereo" receiver or integrated amp. Only way to attach speakers directly to a TV is if the TV has "speaker level" outputs/terminals. You cannot/should not use "line level" audio outputs directly attached to speakers.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-05-2009, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

So if I just found a cheap receiver with nothing special on it to hook to the audio out from the TV and have speaker inputs going to that receiver, it would make do until I could get something with hdmi, eq, etc? I'm not terribly worried that it will sound "not the best," as what I'm currently using consists of, well, the built-in speakers. In three months I will be purchasing a decent receiver, but unfortunately not until then. I can just leave the energy speakers boxed up until then, but it'd be great if I could somehow use them.

Thanks ^^
post #5 of 13 Old 01-05-2009, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I hear your dilemma, the speakers in a LCD TV really suck.

Any set of self-amplified speakers will work.....I bought a set of $40 bookshelf Edifiers (from Walmart no less) for my Sony and you can sure appreciate the difference in SQ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 Old 01-05-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by xazraelx View Post

So if I just found a cheap receiver with nothing special on it to hook to the audio out from the TV and have speaker inputs going to that receiver, it would make do until I could get something with hdmi, eq, etc? I'm not terribly worried that it will sound "not the best," as what I'm currently using consists of, well, the built-in speakers. In three months I will be purchasing a decent receiver, but unfortunately not until then. I can just leave the energy speakers boxed up until then, but it'd be great if I could somehow use them.

You do not really need a receiver. Only a 2-channel amplifier. There are several small, very inexpensive 2-channel amps available out there that would serve well for what you need.

One thing that is pretty important is that you are able to set the TV's external outputs to be "variable". If they are simply fixed, then you will not be able to use the TV's remote to control the volume. In which case you would have to use a device with a volume control and one that with remote controllability would be desirable, in which case a receiver WOULD be useful.

You can get refurbished 2-channel receivers from ONKYO and HK (among others) fairly inexpensively.

Since you already have the speakers, I understand your not wanting to buy a pair of powered speakers, but if it is just to get you by, a cheap set of computer speakers (with or with out a "sub", that's your choice) will work. If you have a headphone out jack, you can just use it to connect the speakers. Otherwise you will need an adapter (available very inexpensively) to convert the RCA outs to a female stereo headphone input. My experience is that computer speakers' performance is not at all proportional to their price. There are inexpensive sets that sound great and expensive sets that sound like crap. You should be able to get a decent set, cheaply. But, again, if you use the TV's RCA outs, you need to make certain you can adjust their volume with the TV's remote. Otherwise it is going to be a PITA.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #7 of 13 Old 01-05-2009, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For $50... this should sound better than the TV's speakers. When you upgrade... use this on your PC or your IPod.
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...m=1100001246-8
post #8 of 13 Old 01-05-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
That sounds like a good plan, and I'll bet those speakers sound pretty good. It's a great deal, too.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-05-2009, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Agreed. Good plan.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #10 of 13 Old 12-20-2013, 07:59 PM

Ah! That sounds like exactly my dilemma at the moment. But when I clicked on your link, the page was missing. What was the equipment you found?

post #11 of 13 Old 12-21-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xazraelx View Post

You do not really need a receiver. Only a 2-channel amplifier. There are several small, very inexpensive 2-channel amps available out there that would serve well for what you need.

One thing that is pretty important is that you are able to set the TV's external outputs to be "variable". If they are simply fixed, then you will not be able to use the TV's remote to control the volume. In which case you would have to use a device with a volume control and one that with remote controllability would be desirable, in which case a receiver WOULD be useful.

You can get refurbished 2-channel receivers from ONKYO and HK (among others) fairly inexpensively.

You can get refurb 5.1 AVRs pretty inexpensively, as well with the extra feature of a remote volume control and extensive upgrade path including bass management for the inevitable subwoofer:

Here's an example:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1513/DENON-AVR-1513-5.1ch-Home-Theater-Receiver-3D-ready/1.html

Note the price - its hard to find 2 channel receivers that low.

Energy C-100s probably sound better than a lot of lower-tier active speakers.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-21-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendicle View Post

Ah! That sounds like exactly my dilemma at the moment. But when I clicked on your link, the page was missing. What was the equipment you found?
Who knows? That was posted almost 5 years ago. wink.gif
sivadselim likes this.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page