SBR and SBL placement question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-27-2009, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, so I've currently got a 5.1 system set up as described in the diagram. I'd like to add 2 more speakers, but I don't have the space behind the couch, it simply isn't an option. I like the immersion that the SR and SL speakers give me when they're placed right next to the couch. From my understanding, the SBR and SBL speakers are hardly used, so I don't want to move my SR and SL to the side and put the SBR and SBL where they used to be.

I know this is probably a terrible idea, but I was thinking of putting the SBL and SBRs on the side of the room (indicated by the dotted lined rectangles in the diagram). and let the Audyessy setup autocalibrate them. Is this a terrible idea? Should I just stick with 5.1?

thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-27-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyj826 View Post

From my understanding, the SBR and SBL speakers are hardly used...

When playing back in 7.1, the rear speakers can get used as much as the side speakers, depending on soundtrack.
Quote:

I know this is probably a terrible idea, but I was thinking of putting the SBL and SBRs on the side of the room (indicated by the dotted lined rectangles in the diagram). and let the Audyessy setup autocalibrate them.

But that won't change the fact that sounds intended to come from behind you will now be coming from in front of you. It would be like stacking the left front speaker on top of the right front speaker and letting Audyssey autocalibrate them. Sounds intended to come from the left side of the soundstage will now be coming from the right.

If you can't place the rear speakers behind you, then stick to a 5.1-speaker set-up. Better to do a good/proper 5.1 layout rather than a confused 7.1 layout.

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #3 of 7 Old 01-27-2009, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, sound advice (no pun intented ). I'm thinking perhaps I'll try putting the SL and SR where they should be (to the side, where the dotted lines are in the diagram). and put the SBL and SBR where next to the couch, slightly behind. If I'm not really satisfied with that sound, then I'll just revert to a 5.1 setup.

thanks Sanjay
post #4 of 7 Old 01-27-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Hmmm, sound advice (no pun intented ). I'm thinking perhaps I'll try putting the SL and SR where they should be (to the side, where the dotted lines are in the diagram). and put the SBL and SBR where next to the couch, slightly behind. If I'm not really satisfied with that sound, then I'll just revert to a 5.1 setup.

I do not know if your drawing is to scale, but you should probably slide the side surrounds back to at least your coffee table if your surround rears are not going to really be behind you.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #5 of 7 Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

OK, how's this revised:

post #6 of 7 Old 01-27-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:

OK, how's this revised:

Well, with the revised set-up, sounds intended to come from the sides will instead be heard from in front of you and sounds intended to come from behind will instead be heard at your sides. Would you really want that? I wouldn't sacrifice the proper directionality you currently have just to get those extra speakers in there.

How much space do you have behind you? Where is the back wall of that room?

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2009, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

The problem is that the space labeled "Unusable Space" is actually a high traffic hallway. Behind that begins the kitchen with no wall close enough to mount speakers. I could move the speakers all the way up so that they're against the wall, but at a 90 degree angle to listener's ears on the couch. What I'll do is cut enough wire to move them to that position then try different ones. Worst comes to worst, I jump down to a 5.1 setup I guess, but I want to try what I can before I relent.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page