post #2 of 12 Old 02-01-2009, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud View Post

the manual on the JBL's says to set the crossover from the surround sound unit to the subwoofer to 120 or 150 Hz. That said, on the unit, the crossover is for all the speakers....I still take it I set this to 120 Hz?

Yes.

Quote:

Settings for Dynamic Range (I want the purest sound possible)....it's unclear, in the manual as to which allows for the purest sounds:

This has nothing to do with "purity" but with dynamic range. If you can tolerate the "MAX" setting, it will compress dynamics the least but it may make the quietest sounds too quiet and/or make the loudest ones annoy your neighbors.

Quote:

Then on the LFE settings, .........Would I put the setting to "SWFR", I take it?

Definitely.

Quote:

And lastly, how can I tell if my subwoofer is in phase of 180 degrees out of phase from the rest of my speakers?

Try it both ways with bass heavy program and see what works best.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 12 Old 02-01-2009, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Try it both ways with bass heavy program and see what works best.

Ok, great, thanks...that takes care of all the "technical" questions related to setting up the surround-sound unit's settings...I just have a few more questions:

[quote]Ok, now I have a question for you that you'll probably already know the answer to.

Ok, I know that a surround-sound unit has two main components for processing sound: decoding sound sources and sound-field programs.

My confusion, as times is what to properly apply, depending on the source.....When I'm watching regular TV (TOSLINK from TV to surround-sound unit) and the programming is HD, the unit will automatically switch to DD 5.1. When I'm watching a DVD it is the same way (and if I select DTS for the sound option, it'll, naturally, switch to that).

That said, on my unit there's "standard" and "enhanced" processing, as well as processing for a number of other sources...sadly, my manual leaves much to be desired explaining the various nuances of things.

That said, my confusion comes in when I'm dealing with a 2-channel source....does my unit automatically switch to the correct decoding method for this source, as well, or do I need to manually select which methodology to use to decode 2-channel sources (whether they be analog or digital)?

here's the manual to my specific receiver, if it helps any: http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/produc...s/HTR5940S.pdf

(taken from an unanswered PM).

Thanks again!
post #4 of 12 Old 02-01-2009, 06:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I cannot help much since (1) a lot of the choices for decoding/processing is subjective, (2) I do not know what options your AVR has and (3) I am not going to read your manual.

That said, I generally prefer no postprocessing and that means setting the AVR such that stereo is always played in stereo, DD/dts in 5.1, etc. I do not know how your AVR handles a stereo source but I am certain that it can be set play it in stereo, as I do.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #5 of 12 Old 02-01-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I cannot help much since (1) a lot of the choices for decoding/processing is subjective, (2) I do not know what options your AVR has and (3) I am not going to read your manual.

That said, I generally prefer no postprocessing and that means setting the AVR such that stereo is always played in stereo, DD/dts in 5.1, etc. I do not know how your AVR handles a stereo source but I am certain that it can be set play it in stereo, as I do.

Well, when I plug in stereo, if I want it to be stereo, I can select "stereo" or hit "direct", which applies no processing at all and just passes the sound from wherever it came from to the channels it belongs.

That said, what about games/movies that are "dolby surround" or "Dolby Pro Logic II"...what do I set my unit to then? With both cases, I always only see 2 channels....however, I've been told that both of these are actually 5.1 channels (or can be)....therefore, I'm not entirely sure on what to select.

If you do read the manual (doubt you will) it's under "enjoying surround sound" and "sound field programs".
post #6 of 12 Old 02-01-2009, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, when I plug in stereo, if I want it to be stereo, I can select "stereo" or hit "direct", which applies no processing at all and just passes the sound from wherever it came from to the channels it belongs.

If it is a digital input use, stereo. With an analog input, try it both ways and choose what you prefer.

Quote:

That said, what about games/movies that are "dolby surround" or "Dolby Pro Logic II"...what do I set my unit to then? With both cases, I always only see 2 channels....however, I've been told that both of these are actually 5.1 channels (or can be)....therefore, I'm not entirely sure on what to select.

For both of these, choose DPL II. They are stereo sources with matrixed surround info that needs DPL decoding.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #7 of 12 Old 02-01-2009, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If it is a digital input use, stereo. With an analog input, try it both ways and choose what you prefer.

For both of these, choose DPL II. They are stereo sources with matrixed surround info that needs DPL decoding.

Should my unit auto-switch to PLII, or should I select it, in particular on my unit?

see, what has me confused is that my unit seems to easily mix in decoding and sound field programs, so, at times I wonder which is which.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-01-2009, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Should my unit auto-switch to PLII, or should I select it, in particular on my unit?

see, what has me confused is that my unit seems to easily mix in decoding and sound field programs, so, at times I wonder which is which.

It's your call. I don't use DPL at all.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #9 of 12 Old 02-01-2009, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm, I know some games are designed for DPLII...what would you do under those circumstances? Still use "direct" so there's no sound field applied?

So, I take it then that with analog 2-channels inputs you always play it back in 2-channels...and for 2-channel digital input, you do the same likewise?
post #10 of 12 Old 02-02-2009, 05:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

hmmm, I know some games are designed for DPLII...what would you do under those circumstances? Still use "direct" so there's no sound field applied?

I never play games and have no experience with them. I generally prefer 'stereo' to 'direct' in order to keep the setup/calibration/bassmanagement, etc in operation. 'Direct' bypasses them.

Quote:

So, I take it then that with analog 2-channels inputs you always play it back in 2-channels...and for 2-channel digital input, you do the same likewise?

I do.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #11 of 12 Old 02-02-2009, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I never play games and have no experience with them. I generally prefer 'stereo' to 'direct' in order to keep the setup/calibration/bassmanagement, etc in operation. 'Direct' bypasses them.

hmmm; my unit has "stereo" "direct stereo" and "direct"....I'm going to guess it's just plain old "stereo"? Either way, I'll take a look at the manual.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-02-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

hmmm; my unit has "stereo" "direct stereo" and "direct"....I'm going to guess it's just plain old "stereo"? Either way, I'll take a look at the manual.

When in doubt, read the manual (although it does not always help).

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page