Recording HDMI audio? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-01-2009, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the market for a new A/V receiver and am wondering if I can record the digital audio from an HDMI input with and optical cable output. If not I need to get a 4 minimum optical input instead of 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-03-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Is this your question?

"Can I receive the signal from HDMI audio in out onto Line Out jacks for a tape recorder or similar"?

In general, the answer ought to be "yes," although you'll likely just get a stereo mix.

Or is this your question?

"Can I get an optical digital out copy of the HDMI audio in?"

The answer is "no," because the HDMI audio in may very well be PCM, rather than DD/DTS, and thus wouldn't fit in the optical format. Receivers don't contain DD/DTS en-coding circuitry needed to turn multi-channel PCM into DD/DTS compressed formats.

Also note that if you get a higher-end receiver, you'll have access to the full multi-channel audio, in analog, through the "pre out" ports. Cheaper receivers generally don't provide pre outs, though.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-03-2009, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatte View Post

Is this your question?

"Can I receive the signal from HDMI audio in out onto Line Out jacks for a tape recorder or similar"?

In general, the answer ought to be "yes," although you'll likely just get a stereo mix.

Or is this your question?

"Can I get an optical digital out copy of the HDMI audio in?"

The answer is "no," because the HDMI audio in may very well be PCM, rather than DD/DTS, and thus wouldn't fit in the optical format. Receivers don't contain DD/DTS en-coding circuitry needed to turn multi-channel PCM into DD/DTS compressed formats.

Also note that if you get a higher-end receiver, you'll have access to the full multi-channel audio, in analog, through the "pre out" ports. Cheaper receivers generally don't provide pre outs, though.

Mostly 1st question. I want to record stereo speech and or music with an optical output to my computer, having HDMI inputs to the receiver so I can save space in the back of my setup instead of havind two more cables when I get the new receiver.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page