Receiver + Surround Headphones / Digital Optical Out = silence - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-18-2009, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Onkyo TX-NR905 and a set of Pioneer SE-DIR2000C headphones. The inputs on the headphone transmitter include digital optical in, and the receiver has a digital optical out. So, naturally I though the two would work together and provide me the opportunity to listen to anything played on the receiver through the headphones.

I can get get the headphones to work if I use them as a bypass for an individual component. For example if I run the digital optical out from my Xbox360 to the headphone's digital optical in, then run the digital optical out from the headphone transmitter to the receiver, it all works fine.

My problem is that I (like most of the people on these forums, I assume) have several surround sound devices running through my receiver and I don't want to have to swap out cables every time I want to listen to something with the headphones.

Anyone know why the digital optical out on the receiver doesn't actually seem to work on the headphones? (And, yes I looked to make sure red light was coming out of the port.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-18-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Is the digital output on the receiver a straight stereo signal? It may be outputting a signal in 5.1 DD or some other format the Pioneer transmitter cannot decode.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 7 Old 02-18-2009, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The manual for the Onkyo is unclear about what the optical digital out signal is. I was hoping that it was passing the same signal it was processing through the speakers. The headphones, though, support DTS and Dolby Digital. I can directly hook up the X360 (or my VAIO media center PC, or my MacMini) outputting DTS and Dolby 5.1 and the headphones work as designed. (Five tiny little speakers in the ear pieces.) It doesn't work when I try to get a signal through the receiver.

It doesn't make sense that the transmitter can process DTS/Dolby but would choke on a straight stereo input, but the manual for the headphones is in Japanese so it isn't much help.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-18-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Is the digital output on the receiver a straight stereo signal? It may be outputting a signal in 5.1 DD or some other format the Pioneer transmitter cannot decode.

You'd be concerned about the opposite, actually. The Pioneer unit can decode DD/DTS 5.1. The question is whether the receiver's optical out passes 5.1 or instead, only passes a 2-channel downmix and what the Pioneer would do with a 2-channel signal.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #5 of 7 Old 02-18-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrigand View Post

It doesn't make sense that the transmitter can process DTS/Dolby but would choke on a straight stereo input, but the manual for the headphones is in Japanese so it isn't much help.

The manual for the 800Cs may be useful.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...00C.Kuro?tab=D

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #6 of 7 Old 02-18-2009, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrigand View Post

I can get get the headphones to work if I use them as a bypass for an individual component. For example if I run the digital optical out from my Xbox360 to the headphone's digital optical in, then run the digital optical out from the headphone transmitter to the receiver, it all works fine.

The transmitter has a digital OUT? I guess that makes sense as most receivers don't have an optical out and you'd want a way to pass-through a signal.

I think your issues lies in exactly what is and can be passed by the ONKYO's optical out. If the ONKYO's optical out only passes a 2-channel signal, you need to choose DPLII with the headphone's remote.

post #7 of 7 Old 02-18-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You may have run into some copyright protection issues.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page