Choseal Cables? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-16-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Skakruk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone had any experience with this brand? I've seen some very competitively priced Choseal cables around, but I can't find any reviews etc. on them.

I actually bought one of their lesser digital coax leads (QB-581A), with the intention of cutting it open to get a proper idea of the quality of it's construction. Now I can't bring myself to ruin a perfectly good cable.







So far this cable has functioned very well (for a digital cable). The cable and the RCA plugs feel pretty robust.

I'm thinking of picking up some of their Hi-Fi double RCA interconnects and speaker leads...
Skakruk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 03-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ysay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If the price is right and function properly, who cares about review. BTW, they look good also.
Ysay is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 03-16-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Yosh70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sask. Canada
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skakruk View Post

So far this cable has functioned very well (for a digital cable). The cable and the RCA plugs feel pretty robust.

"this cable has functioned very well"? Wth does that mean? Like, it works?

Oh, and welcome to 1999.
Yosh70 is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 03-16-2009, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Skakruk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 View Post

"this cable has functioned very well"? Wth does that mean? Like, it works?

It's a digital cable - what do you want me to say? It's not like the actual sound is going to have cable specific characterisics, unless the cable is so poor that it starts losing bits (which it's obviously not).

Analog cables on the other hand... (hence this thread)
Skakruk is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 03-16-2009, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Yosh70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sask. Canada
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skakruk View Post

unless the cable is so poor that it starts losing bits (which it's obviously not).

Hmm, losing bits.
Yosh70 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Skakruk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 View Post

Hmm, losing bits.

OK smart arse, i'm sure you are well aware of what I'm trying to say. The signal is either there or it's not. Apart form loss of data and jitter, what else can happen?
Skakruk is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Chu Gai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC area
Posts: 14,853
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Choseal cables are manufactured in China by a company with the same name. They market their products domestically, internationally, and via OEM agreements with companies like Panasonic, LG, Haier, etc. With respect to HT and audio, their products have an audiophile slant meaning they're attractive looking, have a nice feel, etc. and consequently can be sold at higher prices.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Chu Gai is online now  
post #8 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skakruk View Post

Anyone had any experience with this brand? I've seen some very competitively priced Choseal cables around, but I can't find any reviews etc. on them...

Review: All electrons will pass unimpeded on that cable until it breaks. What more could you want or need?
William is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 06:24 AM
 
duvetyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
It's a digital cable

Looks like coax.
duvetyne is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Skakruk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Choseal cables are manufactured in China by a company with the same name. They market their products domestically, internationally, and via OEM agreements with companies like Panasonic, LG, Haier, etc. With respect to HT and audio, their products have an audiophile slant meaning they're attractive looking, have a nice feel, etc. and consequently can be sold at higher prices.

Thank you, I just wanted to be sure that hey didn't have a bad reputation or anything.
Skakruk is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 03-18-2009, 04:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Chu Gai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC area
Posts: 14,853
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 525
No, it's a real company...ISO and all that good stuff. As to whether it's worth the price, well I have no idea what the prices are (and for that matter the warranty) but you've got to be prepared to pay more for something that's subjectively attractive.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Chu Gai is online now  
post #12 of 16 Old 03-18-2009, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamZX11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysay View Post

If the price is right and function properly, who cares about review. BTW, they look good also.

He needs a reviewer to tell him what they sound like. It's the only way to "hear" the difference.
WilliamZX11 is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 03-18-2009, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Skakruk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

No, it's a real company...ISO and all that good stuff. As to whether it's worth the price, well I have no idea what the prices are (and for that matter the warranty) but you've got to be prepared to pay more for something that's subjectively attractive.

They don't seem that expensive to me. Some of their top products are a bit pricey (although no more so than the likes of Monster), but there is no reason to waste money on those cables when they cater to a range of budgets.

The cheaper Choseal cables I've seen (similar construction to the one pictured above) are priced lower than most no-frills cables like Phillips 'Gold' range, while the construction of the Choseal RCA plugs etc. appear superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

He needs a reviewer to tell him what they sound like. It's the only way to "hear" the difference.

What's wrong with you people? I didn't say "I NEED reviews on this product to tell me whether I should buy it or not"? I was merely confused as to why there was so little acknowledgement of these cables, when they seem to be excellent value for money. I was just using reviews as an example of the kind of web coverage this brand seems to be lacking.

Why don't you stop getting all hung up on the idea of a review, and write something constructive.
Skakruk is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 04-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Newbie
 
Aviveros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am writting to you from Mexico. I am an audiophile, and I need a pair of speaker cables very neutral, with good soundstage. I tried Audioquest and it is good, but not enough neutral for me; currently I am using a Supra Classic cable (11 AWG), and it sounds extremely good with a pair of KEF Q500 speakers and tube amplification. I need more lenghts of cables, and I am not sure if the best option is the same Supra Cable or other brand. My budget is about $100 usd. Did you buy at the end these cables?; any help will be very appreciated. Thanks
Aviveros is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 04-17-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CharlesJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviveros View Post

Hi, I am writting to you from Mexico. I am an audiophile, and I need a pair of speaker cables very neutral, with good soundstage. I tried Audioquest and it is good, but not enough neutral for me; currently I am using a Supra Classic cable (11 AWG), and it sounds extremely good with a pair of KEF Q500 speakers and tube amplification. I need more lenghts of cables, and I am not sure if the best option is the same Supra Cable or other brand. My budget is about $100 usd. Did you buy at the end these cables?; any help will be very appreciated. Thanks

Hi, and Welcome:)

I am not aware of any cable that meets your specifications, none. The reason is that wire just cannot do what you seek from them.
You should spend your search efforts to things that matters the most: speakers and room acoustics, period, end of your journey. wink.gifbiggrin.gif
bfreedma likes this.
CharlesJ is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 04-21-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ivan Beaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,639
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

Hi, and Welcome:)

I am not aware of any cable that meets your specifications, none. The reason is that wire just cannot do what you seek from them.
You should spend your search efforts to things that matters the most: speakers and room acoustics, period, end of your journey. wink.gifbiggrin.gif
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
Ivan Beaver is offline  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off