LCR Positioning - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-11-2009, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i just picked up 3 identical speakers for my front stage. 3 Bookshelf units from Aperion.
Now that i have them i am going about positioning them around my 42" display.
Before i got these my display was perfect height (mid of screen at eyeball height when seated, and stand mounted, and i was only stereo.

My choices are these.....
1) raise the tv up and wall mount so that my eyes when seated are right at the bottom of the screen . All front three speakers in a line below the display. Image seems low and a bit disconnected from the action on screen but tweets are aligned which i like the idea of. May be able to raise the image slightly by angling speakers up slightly. This is the only option my wife likes if the speakers are below the display. But the screen is higher than i like.

2) center over TV and inverted. Places center tweet at 55" and then i have to raise the LR units to so that tweets are closer. SO that i can listen in stereo, i lower the LR channels to an acceptable height, but then the distance between LCR tweets is like 8-12 inches. Plus thats Really bad for stereo listening as the tweeters are about a 6-8 inched over ear. Puts the TV in perfect viewing but the misaligned tweets are annoying me. Really doesnt make a lot of sense this one. This is my wife's first choice. Speakers really form a triangle.

3) LRC in a line in front of the display. Display is wall mounted with top of speakers aligned with bottom of screen. Positions screen better than option 1 but Forces all three channels outward tho so that i avoid, as much as i can, reflections coming from the interaction with the rear port and display surfaces. Had it set up in this config this week while wife was out of town. I like it. She doesn't.

Any tips, not wife tips but setup tips. Are we both going to have to compromise? display vs SQ?

Always wondering..... what SHOULD it sound like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2009, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
1) place display at comfortable height. this is rule 1 in my book. you won't "get used to it" in an uncomfortable spot.

2) place main speakers at height so tweeters align with ears.

3) decide whether or not you want the center above or below and aim so it angles to the listening position. in my house, i have one set with it above and one set with it below, and really have no preference.

in a "perfect world", obviously you'd like all the speakers aligned... but in a "normal" environment, you have to make some compromises... realistically speaking, the center doesn't come into play for "stereo" music listening, and as long as you have the center decently aimed, the brain is very good at compensating when you are watching other stuff...

good luck! oh, and once you set it, do yourself a favor and don't think "gee, if i had done it another way it would have been better"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old 04-12-2009, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i was BIG on the "look straight at dead center of screen" thing. i had to make a stand for my new gear. to get the layout i wanted, i had to raise the tv a little. i think it looks better now, somehow, it makes the tv look bigger. 65" dlp mitsu.

ymmv

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #4 of 8 Old 04-12-2009, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post

i was BIG on the "look straight at dead center of screen" thing. i had to make a stand for my new gear. to get the layout i wanted, i had to raise the tv a little. i think it looks better now, somehow, it makes the tv look bigger. 65" dlp mitsu.

ymmv

yea, that's why i said "comfortable" height...

i tried to do the "dead center" routine when i set up my first "big" tv, but i always felt like i was looking down at it... i'm most "comfortable" when my eyes at about the 1/3-1/4 mark from the bottom...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 Old 04-12-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

yea, that's why i said "comfortable" height...

i tried to do the "dead center" routine when i set up my first "big" tv, but i always felt like i was looking down at it... I'm most "comfortable" when my eyes at about the 1/3-1/4 mark from the bottom...

ditto ...........

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #6 of 8 Old 04-05-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 63
How close can one place the LCR speakers?
I'm thinking of getting three JBL 3252N. Due to the size, three of them will fill up the front wall space, corner to corner. They will be very close to one another, just side by side. My front wall is 8.5 feet wide.

Is this bad in terms of acoustic? Comb filtering?

Should I get smaller speakers so that there's ample of distance (bigger separation) between the drivers of each speaker?

post #7 of 8 Old 04-06-2014, 04:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

How close can one place the LCR speakers?
I'm thinking of getting three JBL 3252N. Due to the size, three of them will fill up the front wall space, corner to corner. They will be very close to one another, just side by side. My front wall is 8.5 feet wide.

Is this bad in terms of acoustic? Comb filtering?

Should I get smaller speakers so that there's ample of distance (bigger separation) between the drivers of each speaker?

Acoustically, we speak of the "Acoustic center" of a driver. Speaker drivers tend to behave like their sound source is concentrated at the center of the driver - about the middle of the cone, inside the perimeter of the voice coil.

Smaller speakers won't move the centers that much closer together.

That said, whose ears are you planning to destroy? ;-)
post #8 of 8 Old 04-07-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Acoustically, we speak of the "Acoustic center" of a driver. Speaker drivers tend to behave like their sound source is concentrated at the center of the driver - about the middle of the cone, inside the perimeter of the voice coil.

Smaller speakers won't move the centers that much closer together.

That said, whose ears are you planning to destroy? ;-)
You mean that LCR placement (side-by-side) is ok?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page