Many HDMI inputs on a TV, what is the point? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 04-27-2009, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I get the need for HDMI inputs on a TV, and I can logically see the need for 2. If you have a receiver, you can connect it via HDMI to your TV. If you have a cable or satellite box, you may connect that via HDMI and not run video through your receiver, as you can go optical and see the same performance audio-wise (also helps with HDCP issues, sometimes resolution switches mess with things).

What is the point of more than that? If you aren't using a receiver? If that is the case (or if it is inexpensive to go from 2 to 4 HDMI inputs on a TV), then why is finding a receiver with 6 or more HDMI inputs so difficult to find?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-28-2009, 04:35 AM

So that you can plug in auxiliary devices such as HD movie cameras, some still cameras, Apple TV, etc. Also to accomodate customers who do not connect via receivers. I know, TV speaker audio is strictly low fidelity, but it is there for bedroom use, etc.
post #3 of 26 Old 04-28-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
And, for people whose receivers don't have HDMI.

And, for those who don't want to be limited to a single HDMI video set-up, which is a limitation when running all video through a receiver.
post #4 of 26 Old 04-28-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Which by far are the most people
post #5 of 26 Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

And, for those who don't want to be limited to a single HDMI video set-up, which is a limitation when running all video through a receiver.

can you elaborate on this?
post #6 of 26 Old 04-28-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVizzle View Post

some people will want to calibrate each individual source separately...

as far as "why is an avr with 6 or more hdmi inputs hard to find?"... there's a point of diminishing returns here... the number of people who would need "6 or more" hdmi in's is very small...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #7 of 26 Old 04-28-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Exactly. I have two DVR's, a Blu Ray player and a DVD player connected to my TV via HDMI. All are connected to my receiver via optical.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #8 of 26 Old 04-28-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Yeah, that's my setup, too. My receiver doesn't do HDMI, so my cable box and DVD player go straight to the TV.

Also, keep in mind not everyone has a surround sound system, but may have things like a cable box, PS3, DVD player, Popcorn Hour, or any number of HDMI devices but are content with the TV speakers. They'll need multiple HDMI inputs.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #9 of 26 Old 04-28-2009, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One video calibration on the TV may not be optimal for all sources. With multiple HDMI inputs, you may be able to tweak the settings for each device.
post #10 of 26 Old 04-28-2009, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

One video calibration on the TV may not be optimal for all sources. With multiple HDMI inputs, you may be able to tweak the settings for each device.

Ugh... imagine the mess I would have if all of my HDMI sources were individually calibrated... I would need to split my BD player, my HD DVD, my PS3 and my DVD-A/SACD player's HDMI signals!
post #11 of 26 Old 04-29-2009, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's not THAT big of a mess. Four HDMI and four audio cables. Proper cable management can keep it under control. Initial calibration would be needed, but it doesn't take that long, and it stays as long as you need it.

The upside is that you get the best picture for each. You'd be surprised how different each device can be. I guess it depends on what you value more. Easy setup or the best possible look.

That is if you care about calibration. Most people just leave their TVs on the store's Torch mode.

post #12 of 26 Old 05-02-2009, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

It's not THAT big of a mess. Four HDMI and four audio cables. Proper cable management can keep it under control. Initial calibration would be needed, but it doesn't take that long, and it stays as long as you need it.

The upside is that you get the best picture for each. You'd be surprised how different each device can be. I guess it depends on what you value more. Easy setup or the best possible look.

That is if you care about calibration. Most people just leave their TVs on the store's Torch mode.

HDA30 needs HDMI to do hi rez audio. DV48 (DVD player) needs HDMI to do SACD/DVD-A. BD35 needs HDMI to do hi rez audio. PS3 needs HDMI to do hi rez audio. So for independent calibration, I need a minimum of 4 HDMIs on my receiver and 5(HD Tivo) on the TV, as well as 4 splitters. Far too much hassle.

The beauty of HDMI is audio/video in one, and if you are carrying HD audio, you need a TV that has HDMI out that can carry audio to a receiver, which I can find a grand total of zero. If I run HDMI into a receiver, I can get HD audio/video pass through and then send it into my TV with a single (at worst 2) HDMIs. Get my point?
post #13 of 26 Old 05-02-2009, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HDA30 needs HDMI to do hi rez audio. DV48 (DVD player) needs HDMI to do SACD/DVD-A. BD35 needs HDMI to do hi rez audio. PS3 needs HDMI to do hi rez audio. So for independent calibration, I need a minimum of 4 HDMIs on my receiver and 5(HD Tivo) on the TV, as well as 4 splitters. Far too much hassle.

The beauty of HDMI is audio/video in one, and if you are carrying HD audio, you need a TV that has HDMI out that can carry audio to a receiver, which I can find a grand total of zero. If I run HDMI into a receiver, I can get HD audio/video pass through and then send it into my TV with a single (at worst 2) HDMIs. Get my point?

You asked why TVs have more tha two HDMIs and you got several answers. Obviously, you have good reason to run via an HDMI equipped receiver and don't need the extra inputs on the TV. But, that doesn't mean others don't need them. Get the point?
post #14 of 26 Old 05-02-2009, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

I do understand, I just think the logic behind so many HDMI ports on a TV versus on a receiver is silly, and if you want to invidivually calibrate inputs, you would need a splitter for every HDMI source. More and more, HDMI seems like it has been designed for your average joe.
post #15 of 26 Old 06-03-2009, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thought I should come here to conclude this thread, it looks like HDMI 1.4 eliminated all of my concerns. Bi-directional support will solve the complaints I had, and ethernet support is an added plus.
post #16 of 26 Old 06-03-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:

I do understand, I just think the logic behind so many HDMI ports on a TV versus on a receiver is silly, and if you want to invidivually calibrate inputs, you would need a splitter for every HDMI source. More and more, HDMI seems like it has been designed for your average joe.

the vast majority of TVs do not have a receiver connected to the video sources supplying that TV. Most people connect their devices straight to the TV and use the Tv speakers. Personally I stopped using the TV speakers for my main viewing area in the 80's.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #17 of 26 Old 06-03-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

the vast majority of TVs do not have a receiver connected to the video sources supplying that TV. Most people connect their devices straight to the TV and use the Tv speakers.

This is the correct answer. Believe it or not (gasp!), most people do not have HT systems. They need a way to connect multiple devices to their TVs.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #18 of 26 Old 06-03-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:

Thought I should come here to conclude this thread, it looks like HDMI 1.4 eliminated all of my concerns. Bi-directional support will solve the complaints I had, and ethernet support is an added plus.

Keep us informed about the components (TV's, WiFi, AVR's, etc.) that are HDMI 1.4 compliant.
post #19 of 26 Old 06-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

There are some people that do not and will not get a receiver and hook up their Xbox 360, PS3, Blu-Ray, Dvd player, and cable box/satellite Rcr to the Tv instead all via HDMI. They are the ones who do not care about SQ. Sad but true.
post #20 of 26 Old 06-03-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Manufacturers have to take into account as broad a consumer demographic as they can and still make a reasonable product. Hence why TVs have multiple HDMI, why AVRs and TVs have legacy analog inputs, why all sources have legacy outputs, etc. They're not going to make a single model with just YOUR input/output needs. They're going to cover their bases and make a product everyone can afford.

It's like the people who say, "Well, I only need HDMI inputs. Why can't they make a receiver for me?" and insist they represent a vast demographic. Unless you sit on the board of Sony or something, don't count on it.

post #21 of 26 Old 06-03-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphrex View Post

They are the ones who do not care about SQ. Sad but true.

Don't judge. We ALL have our priorities.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #22 of 26 Old 06-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Don't judge. We ALL have our priorities.

Sorry, I try not to, not easy, but I understand
Just like I said, TV companies put multiple HDMI's for those people who do not wish to use an AVR (if not have older AVRs without HDMI inputs). And you are right, that is a prerogative or priority that anybody has a right to whether anyone agrees or not.
post #23 of 26 Old 06-04-2009, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Keep us informed about the components (TV's, WiFi, AVR's, etc.) that are HDMI 1.4 compliant.

Until 1.4, I would have argued that DP was a better technology and should be implemented as the new standard. That would have taken a lot of change for components as well...

For the enthusiast, the flaws of previous versions have been fixed by 1.4. There really was an argument to be made that HDMI was not the right technology for the enthusiast. Again, fixed by 1.4.
post #24 of 26 Old 06-04-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Super!
The 1.4 spec has been written. Other than the cable, where's the hardware that supports the spec? By the time you have 1.4 compliant hardware, 2.0 will be introduced.
post #25 of 26 Old 06-04-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, reality is always going to be a step or ten behind what's on paper.

post #26 of 26 Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hell, hopefully it'll all be wireless soon.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page