How do I adjust bass/treble on receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-17-2009, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-03TXH, got the speakers set up properly, went through the whole manual, and one simple stupid question.
How do I adjust bass and treble? I don't have an equalizer set up, the speakers directly to the receiver. I want to up the bass in all my speakers, so I can turn my subwoofer down.
Any help on how I can get to that setting to turn bass up on speakers only?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-17-2009, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

You'll need to set the crossover on the speakers lower. How you do that will depend on the model of AVR you have.

Ex. if the auto EQ set them to 100 Hz. Change it to 60 Hz or 80 Hz. Check the specs on your speakers first. Towers can usually go to 60 Hz and bookshelves to 80 Hz.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-20-2009, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccol View Post

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-03TXH, got the speakers set up properly, went through the whole manual, and one simple stupid question.
How do I adjust bass and treble? I don't have an equalizer set up, the speakers directly to the receiver. I want to up the bass in all my speakers, so I can turn my subwoofer down.

Why do you want your speakers outputting more bass? Is your a sub a budget model?
post #4 of 16 Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Agreed. The whole point of a sub is to have a dedicated box that is designed for low frequencies - and to take the load off the mains and those amp channels. It also allows you to move the sub around for the smoothest response without impacting proper screen lock.

Bryan

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #5 of 16 Old 05-20-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Since no one is answering your question, you need to use the receiver's tone controls as discussed on page74 in your manual. I do not know exactly how to access them with the remote, but there obviously is a way. Be aware that in certain modes these tone controls will be bypassed and not applicable.

What people are getting at, though, is that you should be able to achieve a good level of bass with the correct crossover setting and proper subwoofer level. Most people like to run their setup "flat", without the use of those tone controls. This is especially true of an EQ'd setup. Once properly EQ'd, you really don't want to heavy-handedly alter those EQ settings by applying the tone controls. Still, Pioneer put the tone controls there for a reason, and if you want to use them that is a personal preference and you can certainly use them if that is your desire.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #6 of 16 Old 05-20-2009, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Since no one is answering your question, you need to use the receiver's tone controls as discussed on page74 in your manual. I do not know exactly how to access them with the remote, but there obviously is a way. Be aware that in certain modes these tone controls will be bypassed and not applicable.

What people are getting at, though, is that you should be able to achieve a good level of bass with the correct crossover setting and proper subwoofer level. Most people like to run their setup "flat", without the use of those tone controls. This is especially true of an EQ'd setup. Once properly EQ'd, you really don't want to heavy-handedly alter those EQ settings by applying the tone controls. Still, Pioneer put the tone controls there for a reason, and if you want to use them that is a personal preference and you can certainly use them if that is your desire.

It's not that no one was answering his question, it's that it more than likely can't be done. If he has his speakers crossed over to the sub, the tone controls aren't going to do a lot for increasing bass in the main speakers.

BOTOH, if he is running his speakers full range, turn down the sub and crank the knob. It will be more bloated mid bass, but if thats what he wants.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-20-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How do I adjust bass and treble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie View Post

It's not that no one was answering his question...............

It's not? There is a straight-forward answer to his question. Everything else that was said was fluff.

His bass control is centered at 100Hz with a +6dB max. Whether this helps him get what he wants or not, I do not know. But it will definitely be applied, to his speakers' and/or sub's output.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #8 of 16 Old 05-21-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not? There is a straight-forward answer to his question. Everything else that was said was fluff.

His bass control is centered at 100Hz with a +6dB max. Whether this helps him get what he wants or not, I do not know. But it will definitely be applied, to his speakers' and/or sub's output.

Afraid not Siv. If he cranks the bass knob, it still won't be an increase centered in the region where he would be able to turn down his sub.

I took the question as him wanting his main speakers to handle more of the bass. The only way to do that is to lower the crossover point. And I think the first responding post covered that.

Sorry for trying to help a guy out.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-21-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry for trying to help a guy out.

I guess you are speaking for me when you say that. You questioned his motives. I answered his question.

post #10 of 16 Old 05-21-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

If the Pioneer correction is similar to Audyssey, setting the crossover point lower to make the mains produce more bass will not have a filtered EQ in that frequency range, or may not be reproduced at all. I think you'd need to turn off the room correction to get that to work, and then you're missing out on the beauty of the new software.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-23-2009, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the discussion guys. I'm a complete novice in the world of audio electronics. I just bought this receiver, and it is power a whole-house speaker system. The reason I wanted to up the bass in the speakers is because the speakers in the hallway, and masterbedroom do not have a subwoofer in them so I wanted to push a little more bass. I know my system is not set up professionally, just trying to make do with what I got for now. I want to run another speaker to the outisde for patio later this summer, and I'm guessing that at that point I'll probably be forced to get an amplifier.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-26-2009, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I would think that if the main system has "small" speakers and a sub, the other zones would also receive a "small" frequency set instead of "large". You may want to ask in a separate thread about your receiver if this is true. You may not be able to compensate those other speaker sets. Read about bass management within the receiver and how it is applied to the other zones.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-26-2009, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess you are speaking for me when you say that. You questioned his motives. I answered his question.

And I guess you didn't read the OP. I'll paraphrase it for you: He wants to up the bass output of his speakers so he can turn his sub down.

Your answer of twisting the knob, will effect the 100hz region. This will, in all likelyhood be affecting the sub output as well, thereby NOT getting him to the point of being able to turn his sub down.

He needs to lower his crossover point. Plain and simple.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-26-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

If the Pioneer correction is similar to Audyssey, setting the crossover point lower to make the mains produce more bass will not have a filtered EQ in that frequency range, or may not be reproduced at all. I think you'd need to turn off the room correction to get that to work, and then you're missing out on the beauty of the new software.

It's not like Audyssey in that respect. You do not need to turn off room correction to modify the equalization. You can just edit the equalization bands. (But I don't know what the lowest band available is for his Pioneer.)

There are other ways to increase the bass from the fronts that haven't been mentioned: Switch the subwoofer speaker control from "yes" to "plus". Make sure the fronts are set to "large". Put speakers next to a wall or in a corner.

Greg Lee
post #15 of 16 Old 05-26-2009, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...The reason I wanted to up the bass in the speakers is because the speakers in the hallway, and master bedroom do not have a subwoofer in them so I wanted to push a little more bass....

Quote:

And I guess you didn't read the OP....

And, you didn't follow along with the comment from the OP!!! I'm not sure lowering the crossover will achieve what he wants for those added zone speakers.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-27-2009, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

And, you didn't follow along with the comment from the OP!!! I'm not sure lowering the crossover will achieve what he wants for those added zone speakers.

Not at all. Like yourself, I believe the x-over setting is probably global (post #12). The manual is not clear either way.

Either way, what siv said would in no way shape or form allow the sub to be turned down and still maintain satsfactory bass in his main listening room.

Furthermore at the point siv said to turn the knob up (post #5), the OP HADN'T clarified what he really wanted to do yet (post #11).
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page