watch native TrueHd/DTS-MSTR or matrix? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-05-2009, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any sound degradation if I use my THX Ultra2 option over the native bit-streamed audio such as True-HD or DTS-MSTR 5.1?

Xbox tag: JosephD05
PS3: JD05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-05-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephD05 View Post

any sound degradation if I use my THX Ultra2 option over the native bit-streamed audio such as True-HD or DTS-MSTR 5.1?

If you have a 5.1 setup, can you even apply THX Ultra2 to 5.1 source material? What would it do?

Also, you wouldn't be using it instead of the native bitstream. The bitstream must be decoded back into PCM. Then, the DSP is applied.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-05-2009, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

If you have a 5.1 setup, can you even apply THX Ultra2 to 5.1 source material? What would it do?

Also, you wouldn't be using it instead of the native bitstream. The bitstream must be decoded back into PCM. Then, the DSP is applied.

I have a 7.1 setup. I meant the source material is 5.1 in it's native mode. I have an Onkyo 805, not sure what's better. Sometimes the rears light up more than others.

Xbox tag: JosephD05
PS3: JD05
post #4 of 8 Old 08-05-2009, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

I have a 7.1 setup. I meant the source material is 5.1 in it's native mode. I have an Onkyo 805, not sure what's better. Sometimes the rears light up more than others.

Back to your original question - there's no sound degradation using a DSP like THX Ultra 2, PLIIx, or Logic 7. But, the audio does get changed, of course, to reroute some of the surround audio to your rear speakers. I don't have a 7.1 system myself, but from what I've read, 7.1 matrixing is pretty much a hit with those who do.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-06-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Back to your original question - there's no sound degradation using a DSP like THX Ultra 2, PLIIx, or Logic 7. But, the audio does get changed, of course, to reroute some of the surround audio to your rear speakers. I don't have a 7.1 system myself, but from what I've read, 7.1 matrixing is pretty much a hit with those who do.

If you are talking about the THX Ultra 2 surround mode to create 7.1 channels from a 5.1 source (and not just Re-EQ, decorrelation, etc.), keep in mind that the Ultra 2 surround mode creates only a decorrelated mono channel in the back surrounds. THX recommends that the back surrounds be close together when using this mode.

DPLIIX, on the other hand, will create stereo back surround channels and the speakers should be spaced apart.

I have an Onkyo 706 with THX Select 2 Surround. Same thing as the Ultra 2 Surround. When I compared it to DPLIIX, DPLIIX was the clear winner. Better separation, better ambience, clearer sound.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-06-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:

Yes, you can apply THX post-processing to 5.1-channel material being played back on a 5.1-speaker set-up. It will add the usual THX enhancements: Re-EQ, Timbre Matching, Adaptive Decorrelation, Boundary Gain Compensation, etc. On newer receivers, there's also the option to apply THX Loudness Plus (similar to Dolby Volume and Audyssey Dynamic EQ/Volume).

Sanjay
post #7 of 8 Old 08-07-2009, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

THX Ultra 2 only available when you have 7 speakers hooked up. So the answer is no, you can't apply Ultra 2. You could use like "THX movie".

When you're using THX post processing the signal is already decoded and converted to PCM to have your BM and TA to work, so there isn't much of a difference besides what THX post processing will bring to the table.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #8 of 8 Old 08-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

One approach is to just pick the software you like best!
On the other hand, it makes sense to stick with the software that best matches your setup. There's definitely some variation between Dolby and THX. If you have a full THX system, with compliant speakers in the specified spots, then it makes sense to always apply THX processing.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page