Is this true about the RadioShack digital SPL meter? Regarding subwoofer calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-14-2009, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
counsil told me this:
Quote:

The digital meter (C, slow) will read slightly higher than the analog(C, slow). 72/73dB on the analog meter is actually 75dB. 75dB on the digital meter is actually 75dB. I own both meters. Actually I purchased two analog and two digital to compare them all. Both of the analog meters were consistent in their readings. So were the digital. The analog doesn't read the same as the digital though.

Reference is 115-117dB on the digital meter with MAX turned on.

It's not that I don't trust him, I would just like to get some discussion regarding this as I want to calibrate my subwoofer as accurately as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-14-2009, 09:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Not true. With an "n" of 4, his observations are far from statistically significant. And what is his 75dB reference, anyway? How does he know that 75dB on the digital meter is actually 75dB? You can't really say anything about the accuracy of any meter without a gold standard.

But it really is irrelevant if all you want to do is calibrate your speaker channels to the same level. The meters are quite precise, actually.

And I have no idea what "reference is 115-117dB on the digital meter with MAX turned on" means.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 6 Old 08-14-2009, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm just guessing here, but maybe he saw 72 dB on the analogue meter (which means 75 dB after you add 3 dB) and 75 dB on the digital meter which would mean the digital is accurate.

As for "with MAX turned on," he means the "max" button on the digital meter which shows peak SPL, not the averaged SPL. This is useful when you are measuring the peak SPL.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2009, 12:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Not true. With an "n" of 4, his observations are far from statistically significant. And what is his 75dB reference, anyway? How does he know that 75dB on the digital meter is actually 75dB? You can't really say anything about the accuracy of any meter without a gold standard.

I cannot say with 100% certainty that 75dB on the digital RS SPL meter really is 75dB. However, when I was calibrating my subs with the Audyssey Sub Equalizer, it puts the user through a level-matching routine. When MultEQ Pro showed that each of my subs were at 0.0dB, my digital RS SPL meter read 75dB spot on. I am using the Pro mic, which is calibrated to +/- .5dB, this is why I gave so much weight to my findings.

Kain,

You are posting all over the place. I replied to you in much more detail over at Seaton's forum. Let's try to keep all the chat to one thread.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #5 of 6 Old 08-15-2009, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry about the cross-posting.

Anyway, I found an interesting read. I haven't read it yet but it seems interesting.

http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/...a/koya2811.pdf
post #6 of 6 Old 09-06-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No more chit-chat on this?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page