SPDIF Bluetooth Transmitter Is It Possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-16-2009, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
latreche34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Baja, California Mexico 965392
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a Sony bluetooth headset that I use after 10 pm to not bather other poeple, it works fine with playstation 3 however when I want to watch TV my satellite receiver have only coaxial digital output so called SPDIF all what I need is a bluetooth transmetter devise that transmit the digital audio to my bluetooth headset even in 2 channels, I know there is a lot of analog bluetooth transmitters out there but I want the digital type, It may never existed but just wondering if someone come across a do it yourself magazine or school project using a specific mico chip or pre designed circuit, thanks
latreche34 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 08-16-2009, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bluesky636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The digital output from your tv is not digital audio - yet.

It is an undecoded Dolby Digital bitstream and is only available from an HD channel. First you would have to decode the bitstream to pcm and then find a way to transmit that pcm signal to your head set. You might want to look and see what is available for computers, otherwise I doubt you will find anything.

Resident Curmudgeon


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bluesky636 is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 08-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ugly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

First you would have to decode the bitstream to pcm and then find a way to transmit that pcm signal to your head set.

Isn't bluetooth a packet based protocol like IP? I think it's quite a bit more complex than strapping an antenna to the spdif port, like piles of stacks, error correction management, routing etc.

There was a pretty cool thing I used to use in my car which could transmit a low level FM signal from the output of an ipod, cdplayer , whatever. You could dial it in on the car radio. It was essentially your own little pirate radio station but at such low power as to fly under the FCC radar.

You'd need a portable FM radio w/ headphone jack but maybe it would help to liberate you a little more. My freind and I would use one to point our office boomboxes at his car which had Sirius radio using one of these gadgets with our ehem custom antenna tied to it. It actually worked pretty well and we were pushing the range much further than it was ever intended to be used. Also probably were breaking some FCC regs with our antenna but it was fun for a couple weeks. Maybe I shouldn't be posting what we did but we only did it for a couple weeks until it was boring and no fun anymore. Even with the fancy antenna I made (a carefully tuned piece of wire lol) you'd be hard pressed to get more than about 50yards out of one of those things without adding a linear amp and going to an even better antenna.
Ugly1 is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 08-17-2009, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
latreche34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Baja, California Mexico 965392
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly1 View Post

Isn't bluetooth a packet based protocol like IP? I think it's quite a bit more complex than strapping an antenna to the spdif port, like piles of stacks, error correction management, routing etc.

There was a pretty cool thing I used to use in my car which could transmit a low level FM signal from the output of an ipod, cdplayer , whatever. You could dial it in on the car radio. It was essentially your own little pirate radio station but at such low power as to fly under the FCC radar.

You'd need a portable FM radio w/ headphone jack but maybe it would help to liberate you a little more. My freind and I would use one to point our office boomboxes at his car which had Sirius radio using one of these gadgets with our ehem custom antenna tied to it. It actually worked pretty well and we were pushing the range much further than it was ever intended to be used. Also probably were breaking some FCC regs with our antenna but it was fun for a couple weeks. Maybe I shouldn't be posting what we did but we only did it for a couple weeks until it was boring and no fun anymore. Even with the fancy antenna I made (a carefully tuned piece of wire lol) you'd be hard pressed to get more than about 50yards out of one of those things without adding a linear amp and going to an even better antenna.

No Sir that's not what I need I have a bluetooth headset and SPDIF digital audio output, thanks for the input anyways.
latreche34 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 08-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ugly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post

No Sir that's not what I need I have a bluetooth headset and SPDIF digital audio output, thanks for the input anyways.

Ah jeez. You'd think by reading my reply I didn't even read you post.

I have no idea about the answer to the question you actually asked. So sorry.
Ugly1 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 08-17-2009, 09:07 AM
 
ChrisWiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post

I have a Sony bluetooth headset that I use after 10 pm to not bather other poeple, it works fine with playstation 3 however when I want to watch TV my satellite receiver have only coaxial digital output so called SPDIF all what I need is a bluetooth transmetter devise that transmit the digital audio to my bluetooth headset even in 2 channels, I know there is a lot of analog bluetooth transmitters out there but I want the digital type, It may never existed but just wondering if someone come across a do it yourself magazine or school project using a specific mico chip or pre designed circuit, thanks

What the heck satellite box doesn't have analog outputs?

Are you sure it doesn't have analog outs? It has to have analog out...
ChrisWiggles is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 08-18-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
latreche34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Baja, California Mexico 965392
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I mentioned in my post I need digital adapter not analog, thanks
latreche34 is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 08-18-2009, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 14,457
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Bluetooth has limited bandwidth, so bitstream audio is probably out of the question (today). You're listening to "stereo" via headphones anyway... digital should not be that important IMO.

As suggested, use the analog audio outputs of the satellite receiver... which all of them have.
Ratman is online now  
post #9 of 16 Old 08-18-2009, 01:44 PM
 
duvetyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Buy a DAC.
duvetyne is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 08-18-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 14,457
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Option:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SE-DIR.../dp/B0007XL43M
Ratman is online now  
post #11 of 16 Old 08-19-2009, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
latreche34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Baja, California Mexico 965392
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I have the headset already I need bluetooth adapter.
latreche34 is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 08-19-2009, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
latreche34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Baja, California Mexico 965392
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thank you guys for the help, I will just go with analog adapter I guess I don't think it will be that much diffrence in quality, eventhough the audio will be converted twice D to A at the satellite receiver and A to D at the bluetooth adapter, not to mention D to A again at the headset but that's the human nature we can't change our ears. Anyways I can live with that it's only after 10pm.
latreche34 is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 08-19-2009, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 14,457
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Glad that you see it our way.
(I guess you found the analog audio outputs on your satellite receiver.)
Ratman is online now  
post #14 of 16 Old 08-20-2009, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
latreche34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Baja, California Mexico 965392
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Glad that you see it our way.
(I guess you found the analog audio outputs on your satellite receiver.)

I'm just picky when it comes to quality, thanks
latreche34 is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 08-20-2009, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 14,457
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Then don't use Bluetooth.
Ratman is online now  
post #16 of 16 Old 04-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Newbie
 
zeenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a nice bluetooth headset yesterday and one of the reasons was to not disturb my wife with sounds of battlefield while she is trying to sleep but to my shock, I failed to find any option in PS3 settings that will make ALL audio go through the headset rather than just chat. So I'm wondering how did you do that?
zeenix is offline  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off