PS3 Blue-Ray Audio Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-08-2009, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Everyone,

I apologize before hand if this problem isn't in the right thread. I did do a quick search and didn't find anyone who had a similar problem.

I just bought a new HD tv. Samsung LCD 32" [Model LN32b550 60 hz to be exact]

I decided to start getting into the whole Blue ray. So I bought the Watchmen and the 3 Terminator movies.

To get to the point, I play the movies in my PS3 [Original 60 gig] I notice that I can't get the sound to a comfortable level. Either its too high or its too low. I turn on my surround sound (if you can even call it that). Its an old receiver, about 20 years old and its connected to the tv via Audio output.
Anyways, whenever I play a PS3 [hdmi] or 360 [Component] game, the sound is awsome. Or whenever I just watch tv.
But when I play a blue ray movie through the PS3, the sound is temper mental.
For example in the Watchmen, whenever they talk in the movie, the sound is really low. I have to turn up the tv volume really high. (higher than I do when I watch tv) and I can barely hear the surround sound. Now whenever there is an explosive action scene, the surround sound is ridiculously loud and I have to turn it down. And other random scenes it just too loud. But on a talking scene its so low that the Volume Indicator on the receiver barely moves.
Does anybody know why this is and what I can do to fix it?
Terminator 1 also has the same problem. And oddly, when I go to the main screen where I can pick play move or scene selection the volume is ridiculously loud again, but when I go into the actual movie, I can barely hear it from my surround sound speakers. Its never just constant like how it is when I play games.

Sorry for the long post, trying to give as much info as possible to find a solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
What exactly is your receiver? Does it even have Pro-Logic, or is it just Dolby Surround?
post #3 of 9 Old 09-09-2009, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Before starting the movie, check the audio setup (in the menu options) of the BRD and set to "2 channel stereo". Let the audio receiver do "the rest" (whatever surround processing may have).
post #4 of 9 Old 09-09-2009, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Ratman, does it matter what he selects if he is using the stereo audio outputs? Anything available at those outputs would be downmixed to stereo anyway, right?
post #5 of 9 Old 09-09-2009, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Who knows for sure?

If he's connected to the TV via HDMI and the BRD is defaulting to legacy DD/DTS or hi-rez audio, his TV may not be "smart" enough to "downmix" to analog stereo properly based on the BRD's audio defaults.

Doesn't hurt to try does it?

The simple answer would be to upgrade the 20 year old receiver.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-09-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Who knows for sure?

If he's connected to the TV via HDMI and the BRD is defaulting to legacy DD/DTS or hi-rez audio, his TV may not be "smart" enough to "downmix" to analog stereo properly based on the BRD's audio defaults.

Doesn't hurt to try does it?

The simple answer would be to upgrade the 20 year old receiver.

I guess I wasn't clear on how it was hooked up. I wrongly assumed something.

OP, you need to, or at least what I would do is, run HDMI to your TV for video, then use the audio portion (red and white plugs) of the multi-connector cable that came with your PS3 for audio, if standard RCA connections are all that your receiver will accept.

By doing this your PS3 will automatically downmix any soundtrack to stereo output. You won't have to get into menus anymore.

Of course the best thing to do is follow Ratman's advice and get a newer AVR.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-09-2009, 04:34 PM

When watching a bluray movie go ahead and pull up the onscreen menu for the dvd controls for the ps3. Go to the volume settings and raise it up so it reads + 2 I think. This is how I have my volume on mine and have no problems. I read about it on one of the ps3 forums. I have mine set to +2 or +3, can't rember for sure.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Tcr

Lol. I have found that on some BD's the center channel was not mixed as correctly as the other channels and I would have to bump up the center on the AVR to match.

So, lo and behold, I get Watchmen and damn if I don't have to do it again.
Turn it off and the center is WAY too loud.

So I ask the other half to check the Denon whilst I go through the menu (total movie downer if you know what I mean) and she says "It says 'M' for movie"
Total Homer Simpson DOH! Slap myself in the forhead moment.

Umm, no Hon, the 'M' stands for Music, it should read 'C' for Cinema, I say.
Turns out that even experienced people can make simple mistakes.

Btw, even after that it still needed to be adjusted but just not as much.

my 2

"We were children, once, playing with toys..." ~ Steve Winwood
post #9 of 9 Old 09-10-2009, 07:11 AM

A high dynamic range can be a lot of fun with the right setup and room. To most people its just annoying. Watchmen was well regarded for its soundtrack in the review by highdefdigest.com.

You can try turning on "Dynamic Range Control" but that will only help with Dolby soundtracks. (Watchmen is DTS)
http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...dsettings.html

Your TV might have a similar option built in, but I'm not very familiar with your set.

Several newer technologies are showing up this year to combat this. Audyssey Volume and Dolby Volume Leveling are two that should be common soon. Although this will only help if you are willing to replace your receiver.
http://www.audyssey.com/technology/dynamicvolume.html
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...by-volume.html

Lots of people just resort to turning the volume up and down... but here on avsforum.com the natural answer is to build a bad ass home theater with extensive sound treatment and all the latest gadgets. Welcome to an expensive hobby

-Sean
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page