Definitive Speakers Connections - High Medium Low LFE? Confused - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-20-2009, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear Experts.

Please find the attached schematics I have. I am new to HT world setting up my first HT at basement, finishing this week, so need your expert advice.

Attachment 153024
Attachment 153025

Amp Yamaha R-VX1
Projector HD20 Optoma
Speakers - Definitive 7000 series towers x 2, 2000 series towers x 2, two 75W old speakers, One Definitives 2000 series center. All definitives have built-in subs.

I need help on these areas

1/ How to complete the HT wiring such that I don't have to run wiring yet, I am running two speaker wires (4 cores each) and one sub wire to 5 definitive speakers. Also running one speaker wire for rear surrounds (Left, Right, Center) just in case for future. Am I going in right direction?

2/ How do I make use of receiver setup to power speakers while both HDTV and projector are all HDMI... I will connect HDMI from sources directly to projector and TV now for video, while for audio I will connect from these sources to receiver. Am I making any mistake here?

Appreciate all your help. If I seriously need a a/v consultant please warn me... I don't want to make big mistakes by doing it myself.

Thanks, roam143

Attachment 153024
Attachment 153025
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-20-2009, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Please give me directions, if it is worth connecting 4 wires to ie to High, Low, Medium and Sub(LFE) in definitive technologies... manufacturer says its optional... Just one wire will do.

Attachment 153028
LL
post #3 of 9 Old 09-20-2009, 03:31 PM

that receiver should have plenty of power, one wire from the amp to the speaker will work fine, and it doesnt matter which terminal you connect to. you gotta make sure the jumpers are in place between all of them. they give you this option if you wanted to bi or tri-amp. you can read up on bi amping if you search the forum, but the general consensus is if you have just a receiver (you do) it yields no advantage.

definitive speakers do not need the sub cable run to them for the sub to work. they just need speaker wire and you gotta plug them into a power outlet for the sub amp.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-20-2009, 03:43 PM

i googled that receiver, and i guess it wasnt sold in the states, but if you could, does it have a multi channel input on the back? its sometimes its labeled multi in. if thats the case, you could find a cheap newer hdmi receiver with pre-outs and run the hdmi feeds thru that and have the preout to the rxv1. this would allow you to get the new blu-ray soundtracks at full quality. just a thought.

i get how you want to hook up the optical audio, i just feel that thats going to limit you down the road, at best tvs only pass dolby digital, and there are just better quality soundtracks.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-20-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. Yes, it has 6 channel input. Main (let and right), Center, Rear (left and right) and sub. Is this better than optical inputs from TV?

If so as you recommended i will buy a cheap receiver with HDMI output.

Another question, how do I connect AMP?
Cheap Receiver -> VX1 -> AMP -> DT Speakers (only front speakers?)

Please advice.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-20-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by amar143 View Post

Thanks for the response. Yes, it has 6 channel input. Main (let and right), Center, Rear (left and right) and sub. Is this better than optical inputs from TV?

If so as you recommended i will buy a cheap receiver with HDMI output.

Another question, how do I connect AMP?
Cheap Receiver -> VX1 -> AMP -> DT Speakers (only front speakers?)

Please advice.

Just run 1 pair of wire to each speaker. 14ga would be fine. I believe the receiver you have is the rx-v1. If you want to experience true-hd and hd master audio, it is time to replace it. Using the rx-v1 to amplify the signal from "cheap" receiver with hdmi is not the way to go. There are several affordable receivers with everything you need on board.

post #7 of 9 Old 09-20-2009, 05:03 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
just run a single simple speaker wire to each speaker

make sure all the little brass jumpers are in place between the binding posts (high mid low)

set the bp3000's and bp2000's to large and set subwoofer to "none" so that the LFE channel gets directed to the bp3000's

the clr2000 center i would run as large also but you might want to experiment with running it large or small to see which sounds best to your ears in your room with the material you're playing

you don't specify which rear center you're running but it looks like a small monitor so i'd run it small and start with 80hz and see how that sounds

don't worry about RCA cables. you wont need any and they make no difference in sound quality to the towers. just make sure you go into your receiver and set subwoofer to "none"

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-20-2009, 05:42 PM

see gbartman, i couldnt get much info about the rxv1, so i was thinking just an avr with preouts to capture the hd codecs, and use the rxv1 as an amp. but you are definitely right, if his avr not too powerful, than a new upper end avr is the way to go.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Amar,

some examples

these iirc are the common setups for the BP7000,7001,7002,2000,2002 towers

EDIT you can even do a mix of biamped and xover images, just run lfe cable and not wire the LF+Sub together
LL
LL
LL
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page