XTZ room analyzer results, good or bad? - AVS Forum
Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat > XTZ room analyzer results, good or bad?
DaveN's Avatar DaveN 07:52 PM 09-24-2009
I've been playing with the new XTZ program in Vista. These are my results. I'm using a SMS-1 in my system. I've ordered a AS-EQ1 but I'm wondering if it will be beneficial to my room. I have the sub, a Genelec 7073a, a bit hot.

I need to figure out how to link the waterfall plots, they're too large to upload here.

RT 60
125Hz .26s
250 .35
500 .29
1000 .26
2000 .31
4000 .27

I'm a total noobie to these measurements. How should they be interpreted and improved??

Room sub minus 12 [RTA].txt 0.39453125k . file

Kal Rubinson's Avatar Kal Rubinson 08:16 PM 09-24-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

I've been playing with the new XTZ program in Vista. These are my results. I'm using a SMS-1 in my system. I've ordered a AS-EQ1 but I'm wondering if it will be beneficial to my room. I have the sub, a Genelec 7073a, a bit hot.

I need to figure out how to link the waterfall plots, they're too large to upload here.

RT 60
125Hz .26s
250 .35
500 .29
1000 .26
2000 .31
4000 .27

Save them in a form that will let you resize them.
DaveN's Avatar DaveN 08:22 PM 09-26-2009
I manages to get one file converted. The real waterfall images are .frp extensions and I can't figure out which Mac program to manipulate them with.

Does this give enough data? The 3D waterfall show very slow decays at all frequencies.
LL
Roger Dressler's Avatar Roger Dressler 10:46 PM 09-26-2009
Quote:

I manages to get one file converted. The real waterfall images are .frp extensions and I can't figure out which Mac program to manipulate them with.

Use the File-->Export Screen Dump command to put the window onto the clipboard as a bitmap, then you paste it into various photo programs to crop and resample.
DaveN's Avatar DaveN 05:10 PM 09-28-2009
I re-sized this image. When I work with the 3D screen dump it shows the curve but does not display the bottom 1/3 of screen waterfall.

Would I benefit greatly from equalization?
LL
LL
Kal Rubinson's Avatar Kal Rubinson 08:07 PM 09-28-2009
The large waterfall shows a significant mode at 21Hz and some harmonics of it. You need something to deal with it.
DaveN's Avatar DaveN 08:23 PM 09-28-2009
Would a Neptune or Audyssey unit do the trick?
Kal Rubinson's Avatar Kal Rubinson 08:26 PM 09-28-2009
Quote:

Would a Neptune or Audyssey unit do the trick?

Probably but if this is for a sub only, you can do it with a sub-only EQ.
DaveN's Avatar DaveN 04:17 AM 09-29-2009
I'll try to get another set of measurements with the SMS-1 set to flat tonight. I wonder if the SMS-1 is exaggerating the problem.

I have an SV-AQ1 on order and I had been intending to try it vs. the SMS-1. Reading all of the threads on EQ products and your columns in Stereophile, I am a longtime subscriber, got me thinking about various full range eq products to improve my system vs sub-only equalization.
fsrenduro's Avatar fsrenduro 09:32 AM 09-29-2009
Have you tried using the XTZ (with the SMS running flat) to give you rooms modes and recommended EQ stimuli? Plug those numbers into your SMS (rather than doing it by eye) and see how that reads on the XTZ. Cutting a 21hz peak with the SMS should be pretty simple but I don't know what filters you're already using when you took this XTZ measurement.
Kal Rubinson's Avatar Kal Rubinson 11:40 AM 09-29-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrenduro View Post

Have you tried using the XTZ (with the SMS running flat) to give you rooms modes and recommended EQ stimuli? Plug those numbers into your SMS (rather than doing it by eye) and see how that reads on the XTZ. Cutting a 21hz peak with the SMS should be pretty simple but I don't know what filters you're already using when you took this XTZ measurement.

Now, why didn't I say that? Great idea.
DaveN's Avatar DaveN 05:11 PM 09-29-2009
Here is the SMS flat plus using the suggested 22Hz filter plus a 120Hz 2.5boost 4.3 q trying to flatten upper end.

I will try for some waterfalls. Comments??
LL
LL
DaveN's Avatar DaveN 05:23 PM 09-29-2009
My 3D waterfall screen dump reverts to 2D when I photoshop.
LL
DaveN's Avatar DaveN 05:43 PM 09-29-2009
Ful, range measurements with XTZ
LL
LL
fsrenduro's Avatar fsrenduro 10:33 PM 09-29-2009
hat frequency are you crossing over to your sub? Unless it is above 120hz I wouldn't bother trying to boost that high, what's the point.

You can always run XTZ again with the SMS set the way it is and see if it'll suggest any other EQing.

Depending on your crossover point you could try cutting those small peaks at 50hz and 75hz. Maybe just the one at 75hz could smooth it out if you mess with the Q. I'd say if you got that a little more in line you could also raise your overall sub level a little too, maybe 3-4 db.
DaveN's Avatar DaveN 02:36 PM 10-01-2009
I was crossing over at 40Hz but I changed to 80Hz and tried the XZT suggested filters. I also exp erimented with phase perfect, Butterworth, and Linkwietz-Riley slopes. Butterworth had a very negative effect with similar curves using the other 2 Xovers. I played with it last night and the sound was better. I plan more listening and measuring over the next few days. I will try lowering the Xover to 63Hz and see what it does.

So far I am inpressed by the improvement that the XTZ made with my SMS-1. I'm very curious what a full range equalization implementation would do for my system.
Phillips751's Avatar Phillips751 02:51 PM 11-04-2013
Hi for any one that is using the XTZ Room Analyzer with a Velodyne Digital Drive Sub or SMS-1 please follow these guidelines, works every time for me.

Whatever the XTZ Room Analyzer suggestions for PEQ, simply just halve the Q e.g. 35hz Q 8.0 Gain -5.0, enter 35hz Q 4.0 Gain - 5.0 into the Velodyne PEQ and this will be correct.

Also any manual alterations on the XTZ do the same.
Up
Mobile  Desktop