Add a subwoofer Bose - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 09-27-2009, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please don't yell at me to do research, because I have been and can't find the answer I need!

I have an Onkyo TX-SR604 receiver. My wife bought me a Bose Acoustimass 5 series III speaker system, which I added the Bose VCS-30 center channel and rear's (Figured I would try to match the sound). Well the center sounds muffled, and I also have no bass. I knew Bose sucked, but can't hurt the wives feelings, im sure every married man here knows how that is

So basically I just want to improve upon what I have, by adding a sub-woofer for now.
Currently I have the fronts on large (so the bass module will get the full range of sound and do its cross over thing), rears on small, and subwoofer OFF.

I cannot seem to research a straight answer of how to add a sub from someone who knows about this stuff

Do I:

1. Leave the Bose system fronts on LARGE (so that the bass module continues to give a mid range frequency), with my rears on small, put subwoofer on, and hookup my separate sub to the amps Pre Out Subwoofer
2. Or do I put all speakers on small, subwoofer on, and hookup my separate sub to the amps Pre Out Subwoofer

I am basically unsure of the multiple affects of Small vs. Large, and Sub on vs. off will have on the setup.

Any help is much appreciated.

BTW, I fully intent to get a Klipsch subwoofer, unless someone else has a better recommendation. I bought the Klipsch promedia 2.1 for like $125 bucks for my computer and it sounds amazing, better than the expensive Bose I have in my home theater, I can't believe it, for the price I recommend them to everyone. They also go ridiculously loud, and are clear, of course the sub starts to distort, but for 125 bucks its insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-27-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
2 would minimize the contribution of the Bose "sub" and let your new sub take over.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 21 Old 09-27-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Sux to be you. My wife knows better than to try to buy me any HT equipment. She doesn't even dust the stuff cuz she moves it all around and messes up my angles so I do that. She doesn't care because she likes the way everything sounds when I have it placed right. So I guess you are screwed. I used to think bose sounded good then I realized a $600 onkyo system sounds better than a $1600 bose and onkyo speakers are still sub par.

Shawn
post #4 of 21 Old 09-27-2009, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 235
gr8 2 b u.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-27-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzcut1580 View Post

Or do I put all speakers on small, subwoofer on, and hookup my separate sub to the amps Pre Out Subwoofer

Of the two options, the above is the one I would choose. Also, set the crossover of your centre speaker high (at least 120Hz), since it can't reproduce much below 200Hz. This will send midbass frequencies to your L/R speakers, which are connected to the bass module. Try to place the bass module under the centre speaker (or as close as possible) in order to keep dialogue from sounding disjointed (coming from two different places) and anchor the sound to the centre of the soundstage.

When you get the new sub, connect it to the subwoofer pre-out and set it to ON. If you're willing to experiment, try a couple of different crossover points for your front L/R speakers. Start at 80Hz, listen to some familiar material, then set it to 60Hz, listen to the same material again, etc. The bass module goes down to around 40Hz or so. Somewhere between that and 80Hz you should find a crossover point that makes for a good transition between the bass module and your Klipsch sub.

Sanjay
post #6 of 21 Old 09-27-2009, 07:32 PM

1. Be glad your wife wants to get you things she thinks you'll like.

2. It's the thought that counts (it really is!), and people are more important than things (they really are!) Unless she broke the bank reaching for the Bose, appreciate the gift; if they were a real extravagance, ask to return them for something more affordable if you can (maybe no performance hit). I've given my wife some some well-meant but dud gifts - she was very gracious (years later... "what was I thinking???")

3. What kal and Sanjay said. Set the receiver for small speakers all around - the bass module (it's not really a sub) will be given the part of the spectrum it can handle best - and let your sub handle the grunt work.

4. You can probably do better than Bose for a given $ amount, but you have them, and remember 1 and 2.

5. Flick has his own life and his own arrangements. Every couple is different. Give your wife a hug.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-28-2009, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I bought the Klipsch promedia 2.1 for like $125 bucks for my computer and it sounds amazing, better than the expensive Bose I have in my home theater, I can’t believe it, for the price I recommend them to everyone. They also go ridiculously loud, and are clear, of course the sub starts to distort, but for 125 bucks its insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

I used to think bose sounded good then I realized a $600 onkyo system sounds better than a $1600 bose...

Wow. Ya gotta wonder if Bose R&D ever bothers to check out the competition...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

post #8 of 21 Old 09-28-2009, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies, I really appreciate it ! Once I get my subwoofer I will try them out. The funny thing about having the Bose is, most people come over and don't know anything and are like wow you have Bose, Nice! And I laugh in my head...

Rasterfarian, you are right about my wife, it was extremely thoughtful, that's why I would never want to hurt her feelings, and why I am just trying to make it sound better with what I have. Besides, I am certain a good subwoofer will add a nice wow factor when we are watching movies, so although it could be better, it will be good enough.

Sdurani, thanks for the detail explination for me to try, I will give it a shot.
post #9 of 21 Old 09-28-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks everyone for the replies, I really appreciate it ! Once I get my subwoofer I will try them out. The funny thing about having the Bose is, most people come over and don't know anything and are like wow you have Bose, Nice! And I laugh in my head...

Rasterfarian, you are right about my wife, it was extremely thoughtful, that's why I would never want to hurt her feelings, and why I am just trying to make it sound better with what I have. Besides, I am certain a good subwoofer will add a nice wow factor when we are watching movies, so although it could be better, it will be good enough.

Sdurani, thanks for the detail explination for me to try, I will give it a shot.

Why not just try being honest with her? She may surprise you and really appreciate it.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-28-2009, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Well, its to late to return it, she bought it for me over a year ago and i am just getting to upgrading it now. With all the other bills we dont have the kind of money to buy a whole new system. To be honest with a seperate sub i think i will be happy to be honest, thats why i just wanted some help with how to hook it up correctly
post #11 of 21 Old 09-28-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Is that one of the systems with the proprietary wiring that first runs to the Bose sub, and then distributes out from there? It may be tough to dial in a new sub with that wiring scheme.
post #12 of 21 Old 09-28-2009, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 235
All Bose AM systems have proprietary interconnects. It's not an impossible/unrealistic approach as indicated in Posts 2 and 5.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-08-2010, 03:20 AM

I am thinking of introducing another SUB into my Home Theatre. A couple questions do remain.....

- Do you really need 2 Subs?
- Will I notice an improvement in sound quality?
- Does the room size really dictate the need for another sub? (my current room is about 15ft by 12ft)
- Will the Bose system still allow me to introduce this second sub.

My current setup is as follows:

Display - Pioneer Kuro 5020FD
Receiver - Yamaha HTR-6160B
Speakers - Acoustimass 6-Series (with a sub)
Cable - Rogers Scientific Explorer 8300HD PVR
Blu-Ray Player - Sony BDP-S350
Gaming System - Playstation 3
Remote - Logitech Harmony One

Thoughts on adding another Sub?

Reason being Future shop is currently selling the Polk Audi.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-08-2010, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyrock View Post

I am thinking of introducing another SUB into my Home Theatre.
- Will the Bose system still allow me to introduce this second sub....
Speakers - Acoustimass 6-Series (with a sub)....

Before you can buy a second sub woofer you must buy your first. Bose only comes with a (so called) bass module and it's not even close to a real sub. While a little over the top here is some interesting info about Bose Acoustimass.

You are watching a Kuro but listening to......

You best bet by far is to put the Bose system on Ebay and by a real speaker system.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-08-2010, 01:46 PM

I've seen that article many times. It's the perfect explanation of why most senior AVS Forum members cringe at the sight of the word "Bose". The rest are soon-to-be senior members, after some very expensive trial-and-error testing
post #16 of 21 Old 01-25-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter White View Post

Why not just try being honest with her? She may surprise you and really appreciate it.

I agree with you. If my wife brought me the cool system like that I will be so happy.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-25-2011, 08:43 AM

You could just skip the Bose sub altogether and run all speakers in small. Run your auto EQ on the onkyo and just hard wire each speaker to the receiver.

If you do run the Bose sub I would only connect L/R front and rear, then have the center straight to the receiver, don't run the LFE to the Bose only to the new sub. Again run your EQ and let the onkyo figure it out.

Good luck.
Be happy you have a wife who approves of your hobby, it took an expensive hand bang and shoes for me to get my system in place and it's still not done.

Picture without sound is surveillance.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-26-2011, 05:36 PM

This thread is pretty old.

Quote:

Be happy you have a wife who approves of your hobby, it took an expensive hand bang and shoes for me to get my system in place and it's still not done.

Agree with the sentiment. I hope you meant "handbag"!
post #19 of 21 Old 01-27-2011, 01:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasterfarian View Post
I hope you meant "handbag"!
Really? I was kinda hoping he meant what he wrote.

Sanjay
post #20 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyrock View Post

I am thinking of introducing another SUB into my Home Theatre. A couple questions do remain.....

- Do you really need 2 Subs?
- Will I notice an improvement in sound quality?
- Does the room size really dictate the need for another sub? (my current room is about 15ft by 12ft)
- Will the Bose system still allow me to introduce this second sub.

My current setup is as follows:

Display - Pioneer Kuro 5020FD
Receiver - Yamaha HTR-6160B
Speakers - Acoustimass 6-Series (with a sub)
Cable - Rogers Scientific Explorer 8300HD PVR
Blu-Ray Player - Sony BDP-S350
Gaming System - Playstation 3
Remote - Logitech Harmony One

Thoughts on adding another Sub?

Reason being Future shop is currently selling the Polk Audi.

Just seen your quote and I thought I should say hi there...

I must say, it has been a little ruff of late,,,
post #21 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 05:19 AM

Just seen your quote and I thought I should say hi there...

I must say that it has been a little ruff of late...
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page