No DTS Audio - PS3 to Receiver to Ear Force X41 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-29-2009, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. I've been fiddling with this for a few hours and can't figure it out, hoping to get some help.

I just got a pair of Turtlebeach Ear Force x41 wireless headphones. My plan was to run my PS3, Xbox 360 and Tivo HD audio through my Yamaha RX-V661 receiver, then using Digital Optical Out run it into the wireless receiver for the headphones. I had all HDMI (aside from one optical cable for the Tivo) but the receiver will not run incoming HDMI audio through the digital optical out, so I switched to HDMI video and optical audio. After a few tweaks here and there, everything worked great UNTIL...

Testing a couple blu-rays on the PS3 I decided to throw in Firefly on blu. The audio track is DTS-HD. The menu music works (receiver lists as dolby digital), but when I start playing the disc itself no audio comes through the headphones. The speakers work fine. I can get it to work when I switch the PS3 to Linear PCM, but then it's switched over to stereo instead of 5.1.
Everything works just fine with the speakers (optical or switching back to HDMI) and my receiver decodes DTS (not the -HD, but it's clearly downscaling right now because I can hear it and the receiver face says DTS) but it won't run out to the headphones.

According to the Turtle Beach specs it decodes DTS, and according to the manual for my receiver it should allow DTS to pass through... I've read every forum I can find about PS3 DTS and tried all the possible settings (including setting the PS3 to output dolby digital only over optical, leading to stereo again) with no success.

Hopefully this was clear and detailed enough for you all to understand. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-29-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The PS3 will not bitstream DTS HD-MA or Dolby True HD. It will, however, decode them internally and pass them to the AVR as multichannel PCM. You need to properly set the PS3 up to do this, which it appears you have not.

In any case, the optical digital output will not output multichannel PCM, only lossy DTS and Dolby Digital or linear 2-channel PCM, so I don't think you can do what you want.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-30-2009, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 353
If you are hearing the DTS core, as evidenced by the AVR's display and 5.1 sound from the speakers, then the PS3 is doing everything you've asked of it. Why the AVR is not passing the DTS forward is a mystery.

Have you tried feeding the PS3 directly to the Turtle Beach just to eliminate the AVR and prove the DTS signal decodes?

If DTS does not work from BDs, try some DVDs with DTS to see if any DTS decoding works in the Turtle Beach. Try to find a SuperBit or other DVD with 1.5 Mbps DTS, as that's the rate used on BD DTS-HD cores usually. If the TB works, then all fingers point to the AVR.

How do the headphones sound? Does the surround effect work for you?

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #4 of 12 Old 09-30-2009, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

It appears it has something to do with the headphones. It won't accept the bitstream directly, but as soon as I turn on linear PCM it works fine, and then the headphones simulate the surround sound... so I guess I'll just leave it as and switch to linear PCM any time I need to for the headphones...

I do love the headphones. They sound great. I've had surround sound for a long time and love it, and this is probably as close as you can get without actually having 5 speakers. Haven't used them a ton for movies yet, but games on the 360 is really solid. Occasionally I'll notice a sound going from one cup to the other a little too rapidly, but it's rare.
Been playing a lot of Halo 3: ODST so I'll tell you about my experience with that. The ambient rain/stormy sounds are really solid, the other night I thought thunder was from outside, but it was the headset. I can tell exactly where an enemy is relative to me based on sound alone. Frankly being able to have the volume up a moderate level, and the speakers so close to my ears not only makes it easier to detect exactly where they are, but has also allowed me to pick up dialogue I hadn't heard before.

I'm sure a lot of this relies on the sound mix, but so far (had them 3 days now) these headphones are awesome and well worth the money if you either can't afford full surround sound or need a solution for playing late at night (I do, and I don't want to piss off my neighbors)

I did throw in The Dark Knight on blu, the scene under ground with the batpod and the truck flipping over and all that, sounded amazing on the headphones.
And I have to say IMHO the headphones do a better job with dynamic range compression (if that's really what I'm thinking of) because I feel I in general hear dialogue better, and music and sound effects are more balanced (vs what I feel is more common - dialogue being unbelievably quiet and music/action way, way too loud).

I have read a lot of mixed opinions though, so YMMV.

Also, they're really comfortable. I've been wearing them for almost 3 hours as I type this and am still good to go.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-01-2009, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudmuffin View Post

It appears it has something to do with the headphones. It won't accept the bitstream directly, but as soon as I turn on linear PCM it works fine, and then the headphones simulate the surround sound... so I guess I'll just leave it as and switch to linear PCM any time I need to for the headphones...

Found the problem. The Turtle Beach X41 has no DTS decoding capability. No trace of it in their info.

Quote:

I do love the headphones. They sound great.

Good to know. I've been using DH 5.1 for years, but you have the newest 7.1 version, which I do not have, so wondered about them.

Quote:

so I guess I'll just leave it as and switch to linear PCM any time I need to for the headphones...

I hope you'll use bitstream for everything other than DTS, so the DD5.1 will give you max benefit.

Deadwood Atmos theater
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #6 of 12 Old 12-30-2009, 04:41 AM

I had exactly the same problem, got the Turtle Beach X41 for Christmas, works fine with X-Box 360 and some Blu Ray's but when I came to watch Bond with DTS HD encoding the sound was mute, but sound fine when switching to audio description which I guess is probably just stereo.

I seem to have managed to get around the problen though.

I originally had my Blu Ray player optical out plugged directly in to the X41 receiver and HDMI into my Samsung HD TV which didn't work. But when I plugged the optical output of my TV into the X41 receiver the film sound worked.

The TV must be doing some kind of decoding of the embedded audio from the HDMI and when it re-encodes it to squirt it out the optical out the X41 can decode that type of signal.

What impact that is having on the surround I'm not yet sure.

Pete
post #7 of 12 Old 12-30-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvbjones View Post

I had exactly the same problem, got the Turtle Beach X41 for Christmas, works fine with X-Box 360 and some Blu Ray's but when I came to watch Bond with DTS HD encoding the sound was mute, but sound fine when switching to audio description which I guess is probably just stereo.

I seem to have managed to get around the problem though.

I originally had my Blu Ray player optical out plugged directly in to the X41 receiver and HDMI into my Samsung HD TV which didn't work. But when I plugged the optical output of my TV into the X41 receiver the film sound worked.

The TV must be doing some kind of decoding of the embedded audio from the HDMI and when it re-encodes it to squirt it out the optical out the X41 can decode that type of signal.

What impact that is having on the surround I'm not yet sure.

The TV tells the BD player its a 2-ch device, so the BD player sends 2-ch PCM, and the TV is apparently passing it forward. The Turtle Beach can process this with PLII or maybe PLIIx so you'll still get some sense of surround effect. This is fine for DTS tracks since the TB has no DTS decoder. But I suspect you are also sacrificing discrete 5.1 from DD soundtracks. Might want to check into that, and i so, find some other way to connect or switch the BD player to the TB.

Does the TB have a display or indicator to tell you what is the source audio, or how it is being processed? If so, it might help in the diagnosis.

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #8 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 11:08 AM

A seemingly simpler problem... perhaps some one can help me out:

1) I have an Xbox 360, Sony BDP-N460 Blu-Ray Player and a Comcast HD DVR all hooked up to my Sony HTCT100 receiver via 3 independent HDMI cables.

2) The Sony HTCT100 is hooked up to my Samsung PN58B560 via HDMI out. Video to the Samsung and audio through the Sony HTCT100 work flawlessly.

3) The Samsung PN58B560 has a digital optical output though which I've connected a toslink cable to the optical input port on the back of my Turtle Beach X41 receiver/decoder (which is powered via USB port on Xbox).

It was my hope to use my X41s for my Xbox, BD-Player and HD Cable TV. The only problem is... well... it's not working. I've played with audio settings on the Samsung (e.g. enabling/disabling internal vs. external speakers, etc.) and still no dice. Am I missing something here? Please help!
post #9 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by illbenooneelse View Post

A seemingly simpler problem... perhaps some one can help me out:

1) I have an Xbox 360, Sony BDP-N460 Blu-Ray Player and a Comcast HD DVR all hooked up to my Sony HTCT100 receiver via 3 independent HDMI cables.

2) The Sony HTCT100 is hooked up to my Samsung PN58B560 via HDMI.

3) The Samsung PN58B560 has a digital optical output though which I've connected a toslink cable to the optical input port on the back of my Turtle Beach X41 receiver/decoder (which is powered via USB port on Xbox).

It was my hope to use my X41s for my Xbox, BD-Player and HD Cable TV. The only problem is... well... it's not working. Am I missing something here? Help!

Hi illbenooneelse, did you go into the Tv menu and set Tv speakers to Off or External speakers to On? Also the Tv Digital Audio Out will only output 2 Ch. not DD (DD is available only when using the Internal tuner).
post #10 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 11:47 AM

Thanks JChin.

I believe that I tried and toggled through every seemingly relevant option available, but I'll double check. I should also mention that I've also adjusted volume levels on the Samsung and the X41s to no avail.

So what you're saying is when/if I eventually get the audio to play through the X41s, it will not be able to output in Dolby Digital if audio is being sourced through the Samsung's optical out? Why is that?
post #11 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

So what you're saying is when/if I eventually get the audio to play through the X41s, it will not be able to output in Dolby Digital if audio is being sourced through the Samsung's optical out? Why is that?

Yes, see page 43 in OM.

Quote:

I believe that I tried and toggled through every seemingly relevant option available, but I'll double check. I should also mention that I've also adjusted volume levels on the Samsung and the X41s to no avail.

Possible you may have a bad optical cable, if another is available try it.

Or maybe the Samsung Tv has to have HDMI-CEC enabled for Digital Audio Out to work. Try go into Tv menu and turn On HDMI-CEC feature, Samsung calls it AnyNet+.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-20-2010, 07:40 AM

Is there any way to transcode DTS to Dolby 5.1 for 'Dolby Headphone' use in the Earforce X41?

Or is there any 'Dolby Headphone' equivalent devices that work with DTS?
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page