Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Setup:
Denon AVR988
5.1 speakers
PS3 Slim
Samsung A750

First of all, I do know there is a lip sync correction thing

If I use auto lip sync, the sound is off, so I cannot catch what the people are saying, regardless of the volume. So then I turned it off; however, of course the sound is extremely ahead of the video. Also, of course I used the audio delay setting.

Since I'm a novice with HT stuff, I used V for Vendetta to try lipsyncing the audio and video. I came really close to a decent lip sync at 42 ms audio delay on the receiver, but sometimes it feels "off." I tuned it around 70 ms on a talking seen, and it still seems "off." I do know that 42 and 70 ms aren't much of a difference....

Now here're the questions: How do I know if I'm getting close to the optimal audio delay? How do I know if the sound is ahead or behind the video? What is the most efficient way to achieve optimal lip sync (of course V for Vendetta won't solve the problem...) with a PS3?

I have DVE HD Basics for blu-ray, but I cannot find a lip sync test.... If there is one, please tell me where it could be...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-09-2009, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Liked: 15
I thought DVE had a lipsync test on it, though it's probably the standard definition DVD. What you want to use are things that have fast impacts like gunshots or something, that's like a SLAP that you can see/hear match up relatively easily. Voices are very hard IMO to use, yet they look weird if they're off, but they're not very good at telling you how they're off.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-09-2009, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

I figured it may only be for the DVD version (OMG WHY)... What menu was it under there?

I guess I'll have to find a movie with slaps and whatnot then. I couldn't match the swords well in the Count of Monte Cristo fight of V for Vendetta. :/

Thanks a lot though. That's tomorrow's project then...
post #4 of 7 Old 10-10-2009, 11:43 PM

Liked: 11
Assuming that:
- your TV has built in speakers
- the audio (in addition to the video) is being sent to the TV
- that the audio on the HDMI pipe is in-synch with the video that it's also carrying,

just activate the built in speakers on the TV and then adjust the audio delay in your AVR until you have no echo effect, then turn off the built in speakers. Simple as that and no I can't take credit for the idea, someone else here on AVSForums shared this trick with me, it worked beautifully for me.

FTWMike

42HDX62A - V0102.0055
post #5 of 7 Old 10-11-2009, 11:55 AM

That idea of using the TV's built-in speakers is great.

If that doesn't work for you then I suggest finding a scene with something obvious like a door being closed, or someone getting slapped, or 2 swords hitting together. Play it over and over again as you adjust the delay until it matches up right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Home Audio/Video Excellence on a Budget
post #6 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 04:19 PM

I know this post if rather old but I found it near the top for a relevant google search so figured others my still be coming here.

I found that using the TV out trick suggested by FTWMike along with this YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCPEidaVzQU

Which is the BBC HD Audio Sync Test got the audio sync for my system pretty much perfect.

The video provides a very clear picture and sound "snap" and a scale that helps you figure out if audio is ahead or behind. And as it's YouTube video it's pretty easy to find an App built into pretty much any source (PS3, Xbox, Apple TV, some Blu Ray Players) that can play it.

Though this might be useful to people still finding this page in Google.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-05-2014, 04:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binarytales View Post

I know this post if rather old but I found it near the top for a relevant google search so figured others my still be coming here.

I found that using the TV out trick suggested by FTWMike along with this YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCPEidaVzQU

Which is the BBC HD Audio Sync Test got the audio sync for my system pretty much perfect.

The video provides a very clear picture and sound "snap" and a scale that helps you figure out if audio is ahead or behind. And as it's YouTube video it's pretty easy to find an App built into pretty much any source (PS3, Xbox, Apple TV, some Blu Ray Players) that can play it.

Though this might be useful to people still finding this page in Google.

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but just wanted to say that these are great suggestions for determining proper sync -- the echo test and the Youtube video. They work beautifully together.

This should be stickied! Wish I knew these tricks earlier. Thanks!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page