hook up speakers to subwoofer or receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-20-2009, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have been looking on cnet at speaker systems and noticed that the subwoofer has speaker inputs on them. why is this? i always thought you were suppoes to hook up your speakers to your receiver. im looking to do a 5.1 system soon and want to understand what im getting. im still in stereo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-20-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Some older (and stereo) receivers don't have a LFE/line out for the subwoofer, just speaker wire, so routing into the sub with wire (and out again to speakers) is one way around that. It's not the norm for most setups nowadays, but manufacturers often build things with flexibility in mind (hence receivers having a bazillion inputs, speaker inputs on subs, etc.)

If you get a new receiver with a line out, you can ignore the speaker wire inputs.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 3 Old 10-20-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspsc123 View Post

i have been looking on cnet at speaker systems and noticed that the subwoofer has speaker inputs on them. why is this? i always thought you were suppoes to hook up your speakers to your receiver. im looking to do a 5.1 system soon and want to understand what im getting. im still in stereo.

The speaker inputs on a subwoofer are there for connecting the sub to an older receiver or an amp that might not have any line-level (RCA) outputs, such as the subwoofer output on an AVR, that can be used. With such a receiver or amp the only way to connect the sub is via a speaker-level connection.

Many subs that have speaker-level inputs also have speaker-level outputs that allow one to connect their L/R speakers directly to the sub, too (provided the sub is connected via it's speaker-level inputs). In such an instance the power of the receiver or amp's speaker-level connection is passed through the sub to power the speakers just as they normally would be powered were they connected conventionally to the receiver or amp. However, in many cases a subwoofer's speaker-level outputs will be high-passed allowing only a signal above a certain frequency to be passed on to the speakers.

There are a few other special circumstances where one might want to use a speaker-level connection to and from a subwoofer.

If you are buying a standard AVR, then you will in all likelihood not use a speaker-level connection, but will instead connect the subwoofer conventionally to the AVR's line-level subwoofer output. And your speakers will all be connected to the AVR's speaker outputs.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page