Updating Home Theater Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-26-2009, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone, I'm thinking of replacing my Marantz receiver and updating my speaker setup. My receiver is less than two years old but has been nothing but headaches, refusing to work with any hdmi devices I've tried and the audio will sometimes cut out or not turn on at all. Recently the device has stopped responding to some of the remote control buttons I press and yes I have changed the batteries. I'm rather disappointed in the receiver and would be willing to move to a receiver with less bells and whistles for increased dependability. It is very embarrassing to invite friends over and have the dvd sound stop working. I have checked all the wires, replaced them multiple times using hdmi and component. I am currently using a digital audio cable for my box 360 with some trouble and all other components which seem to work.

I was considering some of the onkyo models, pioneer and yamaha. I plan to use an xbox 360 and an upconverting dvd player. I have an epson projector and a b&w center speaker with some old onkyo speakers front L&R, and two other back speakers, hardly ideal but if anyone has any ideas for an inexpensive upgrade to make at least the front three match I would be grateful. I also have a small b&w subwoofer which I would like to eventually upgrade to something a little more powerful. I would also like to change my remote to something simpler that I could actually program to my liking rather than having to pay the enormous fee my last home theater installer charged me. Also if you have some suggestions for stores in NJ I would be very happy to find one. Thanks, and I love the forum.

-Seth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-26-2009, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman1983 View Post

Hello everyone, I'm thinking of replacing my Marantz receiver and updating my speaker setup. My receiver is less than two years old but has been nothing but headaches, refusing to work with any hdmi devices I've tried and the audio will sometimes cut out or not turn on at all. Recently the device has stopped responding to some of the remote control buttons I press and yes I have changed the batteries. I'm rather disappointed in the receiver and would be willing to move to a receiver with less bells and whistles for increased dependability. It is very embarrassing to invite friends over and have the dvd sound stop working. I have checked all the wires, replaced them multiple times using hdmi and component. I am currently using a digital audio cable for my box 360 with some trouble and all other components which seem to work.

I was considering some of the onkyo models, pioneer and yamaha. I plan to use an xbox 360 and an upconverting dvd player. I have an epson projector and a b&w center speaker with some old onkyo speakers front L&R, and two other back speakers, hardly ideal but if anyone has any ideas for an inexpensive upgrade to make at least the front three match I would be grateful. I also have a small b&w subwoofer which I would like to eventually upgrade to something a little more powerful. I would also like to change my remote to something simpler that I could actually program to my liking rather than having to pay the enormous fee my last home theater installer charged me. Also if you have some suggestions for stores in NJ I would be very happy to find one. Thanks, and I love the forum.

-Seth

Any cheap receiver will address to your needs. Get the cheapest one and save your money to upgrade your speakers. You will get better return for your money that way.

My favorite is Onkyo line. They have very affordable receivers that should do everything you need plus more.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page