AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic1 View Post

LOL The Balls he is going to put in his hottub

Uh, think about that statment for a minute also.

Sorry Easy. This is too good to pass up.
post #1743 of 1754 Old 03-11-2010, 07:32 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

Uh, think about that statment for a minute also.

Sorry Easy. This is too good to pass up.

LOL yep i set myself up for that one LMAO Yeah I just completly got it now WOW I am tired. Thats really messed up the way you got me thinking I cannot believe that just went over my head.
post #1744 of 1754 Old 03-11-2010, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic1 View Post

LOL yep i set myself up for that one LMAO Yeah I just completly got it now WOW I am tired. Thats really messed up the way you got me thinking I cannot believe that just went over my head.

I think you should quit while you're behind.
post #1745 of 1754 Old 03-12-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

I think you should quit while you're behind.

Yes I should beacuse at this point basically anything will sound wrong.
What could I say next something like his steel balls or steel cannonballs either way I lose Even his BBs I ruined it.
post #1746 of 1754 Old 03-12-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
post #1747 of 1754 Old 03-12-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
post #1748 of 1754 Old 03-12-2010, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post

Nope, you need to look before you leap. I'll bet you have never used it.

Oh, I probably used it!
Our little motor lab had a 15 MegVA transformer in the back room and we had a large selection of 3 phase voltages available up to 5K Volt.
But I never looked at the wire specs.

Kevin
post #1749 of 1754 Old 03-15-2010, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

I have to get back to rewiring my new collider.

What was wrong with the old wiring??

Interesting discussion on guage, spheres, and cylinders.

Um, gents? Many wire vendors pull the bundle through a die to compress the bundle prior to insulation.. That eliminates the cylindrical sections of the wires and increases the packing factor percentage. High tension wires sometimes are drawn through a die sized such that the outer 5 or 6 aluminum conductors almost form a solid cylinder around the inner steel core.

I work with superconductor wires that are drawn through a turkshead, the resulting cable is of rectangular cross section (rutherford cable), typically 15 wires wide by two wires thick. And almost 100% packing factor.

I prefer high strandcount 650, 500, 350, and 250 kcmil conductors, as they are more flexible. Makes the tech's job easier.

Cheers, John

Some discuss because they can. Others attack because they cannot. (unknown attribution)
A good man knows his own limitations...(Dirty Harry)
Lead, follow....or get out of the way..
post #1750 of 1754 Old 03-15-2010, 09:12 AM

Liked: 11
what electronic manufacture would sell a product with a cable that can not give the product ample power? IMO power cables are for people with too much money or making crazy long runs where a normal shielded cable would be not enough.
post #1751 of 1754 Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurPE View Post

I agree
and electrons don't migrate through the 'voids', although they do fill holes

I'm not sure a parallel can be drawn between fluid flow and current flow though

same applies to filter media, smaller/larger, same void/fill ratio, for a smaller media pressure drop increases, flow rate decreases for a given driving head pressure...and filtration is more effective

Electrons can/do migrate the voids given sufficient energy. It is known as arcing. Even the best manufacturing techniques yield imperfection and cannot guarantee total conductor purity. When considering the nature of relatively random distributions of impurity content and geometry, statistics suggest even the best built conductors will have impurities arcable by even the lowest level signals which might concievably be expected to be transmitted through them. "Contact noise" is the common name for this type of noise. I have not identified any conductive element which does not exhibit contact noise as one of the components of noise it will introduce to any signal being passed through it.

I am guessing filter industry deals with similar limitations in manufacturing. I think the filter analogy is valid and the analogy for contact noise in filters would be imperfection of filter element geometry, integrity, etc. The analogy in this case, if I've got it right, would be unwanted deterioration of filter elements under rated operation and contamination of fluid with dislodged/dissolved/etc. filter material due to filter design/manufacturing defects. Surely this is minimized by the manufacturers of filters but exists at some level even for the best of the best.

Presumably quality manufacturers of both wires and filters are will be able to tell you what the expected levels of these imperfect performance is based on the manufacturing process limits.
post #1752 of 1754 Old 03-28-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly1 View Post

Electrons can/do migrate the voids given sufficient energy. It is known as arcing. Even the best manufacturing techniques yield imperfection and cannot guarantee total conductor purity. When considering the nature of relatively random distributions of impurity content and geometry, statistics suggest even the best built conductors will have impurities arcable by even the lowest level signals which might concievably be expected to be transmitted through them. "Contact noise" is the common name for this type of noise. I have not identified any conductive element which does not exhibit contact noise as one of the components of noise it will introduce to any signal being passed through it.

I am guessing filter industry deals with similar limitations in manufacturing. I think the filter analogy is valid and the analogy for contact noise in filters would be imperfection of filter element geometry, integrity, etc. The analogy in this case, if I've got it right, would be unwanted deterioration of filter elements under rated operation and contamination of fluid with dislodged/dissolved/etc. filter material due to filter design/manufacturing defects. Surely this is minimized by the manufacturers of filters but exists at some level even for the best of the best.

Presumably quality manufacturers of both wires and filters are will be able to tell you what the expected levels of these imperfect performance is based on the manufacturing process limits.

an arc is not in a 'void', it is in ionized air...
you still have current (arc) and a conductor (ionized air)...
and electrons are still 'passed' from hole to hole in an atoms valence...

the flow of a fluid and an electron (or electrical signal) are two different mechanisms...one governed by gravity or pressure ('enhanced or amplified gravity' if you will, since it still is measured in feet of head or height) and the other on a quantum level by electro-magnetic forces and nuclear attractions/repulsions...

arc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQQMK1Rvq0A
it's natural, switches are designed to break them with a sacrificial rod and not the contacts...
the switches 'whip' to extinguish the arc...eventually, lol

pretty cool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NEA...1&feature=fvwp
guys are in faraday suits, watch the arc at the end
post #1753 of 1754 Old 03-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurPE View Post

an arc is not in a 'void', it is in ionized air...
you still have current (arc) and a conductor (ionized air)...

Signal propagates in the void of outer space too but then again space is technically not a true void either. Perhaps I wasn't clear but I did mean air pockets while using the term "void" in my post. These tiny conductor material "voids" will often be physically small enough that ionization voltages are within the range of voltages of typical electronics signals. IOW even in the best wires there is micro arcing occuring within the conductor itself as voltage differentials seen across the air pockets/impurities/ etc. meet the energy requirements of ionization for that specific material in those tiny dimensions.

Quote:

the flow of a fluid and an electron (or electrical signal) are two different mechanisms

...and yet analogous, as you originally pointed out, due to both being forces acting on objects with mass. It's not as if there are seperate laws of motion for electrons and fluid molecules even if the nature of the origins of the forces motivating them is different.

Quote:

the switches 'whip' to extinguish the arc...eventually, lol

That video is an oldie but a goodie. It reminds me of a story one of my proffessors told me about breaker research he was doing for the million volt DC lines coming out of the Dalles and how they were looking into things like tnt canons to fire the breaker "contacts" in oppisite directions at the speed of a canonball to try and break the current path. lol! Videos like this one illustrate the point very well of not only how a sufficiently motivated charge will find a way to jump a gap but also how the "momentum" of many highly motivated charges all moving in unison can be a double whammy spark gap jumping insurance via release of energised magnetic field energy being stored by distributed transmission line inductance.

Quote:

watch the arc at the end

That is crazy. Besides the high voltage danger you couldn't pay me enough to hang around like a monkey up on the high wires like that.
post #1754 of 1754 Old 03-29-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
The pilot and the high wire guys make pretty decent money. I would rather do that than follow behind some of the more terestrial based "electricians" and Harry Homeowner installs I have seen.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page