Digital Optical Output in 5.1 from Panasonic Viera TC-P42X1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-12-2009, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Question for my home theatre setup. I just purchased a TC-P42XI plasma tv. I have two HDMI (my xbox and ps3) hooked into it.

Now, I have my optical audio cord running from the tv's output into my surround sound receiver (Sony STR-K740P).

For some reason, when I use both the devices, it is only outputting in PCM 48.

The instructions say the TV outputs at PCM / Dolby Digital.

So how do I get it to output in DD?

Thanks, and please let me know if you need any more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-12-2009, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
It might be the TV only outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 from the internal tuner. The majority of TVs are like that, and there is nothing to adjust.

Does the manual say something about that?

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 17 Old 12-12-2009, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
soccerstud652
Quote:

I have two HDMI (my xbox and ps3) hooked into it.
For some reason, when I use both the devices, it is only outputting in PCM 48

Tulpa
Quote:

Does the manual say something about that?

Welcome soccerstud652, as Tulpa mention he is correct, see page 31 in OM at bottom note.
* When audio from other equipment connected to this unit via HDMI is output using “DIGITAL AUDIO OUT” of this unit, the system switches to 2CH audio.
post #4 of 17 Old 12-15-2009, 04:02 PM

Oh no... I have a TC-p54S1 and a denon avr-4802 which I love... I was hoping to simply run the spdif from the TV to the amp since it doesn't do hdmi... and now it turns out it only does 2 channels?

The worst part is I bought a dell zino and it doesn't have an spdif output, only hdmi...

Any thoughts? going by the manual it does seem that the tv won't output multichannel through the digital out. A usb sound card would do the trick though... but it also means running optical cables from all my other devices to the amp...
post #5 of 17 Old 12-15-2009, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Check your manual. It should tell you somewhere whether your TV downmixes to 2 channel or passes 5.1 through (most likely the former, very few do the latter.)

If it does downmix to 2 channel, you just have to find a way to route all sound into the AVR. Or live with expanding all the 2 channel signals back out with ProLogicII (not ideal, but would get matrixed surround sound.)

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #6 of 17 Old 12-15-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. The manual says "* When audio from other equipment connected to this unit via HDMI is output using DIGITAL AUDIO OUT of this unit, the system switches to 2CH audio."

So I guess I'll be running optical cables from my devices to the amp. It appears from the manual that tv is only decoding to 2 channels and passing these to the optical out, which is a problem.

So I guess I'll be in the market for a usb sound card for the zino,
Thanks for the help
post #7 of 17 Old 12-16-2009, 07:58 PM

i have this tv also and it recommends using the optical connection from tv to receiver to listen to tv thru your HT speakers but i cant seem to get it to work. anyone have any thoughts? thanks
post #8 of 17 Old 12-16-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf0656 View Post

anyone have any thoughts?

Yeah. Read this thread.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #9 of 17 Old 02-06-2010, 10:01 PM

Hi folks. New forum member here. Unsure if building on this old thread is the right thing to do. I searched it and did not find an answer to my need.

I hate to sound ignorant, but if I connect 2-ch component (analog) audio input to the tc-p42x1, will the tv output via the digital (toslink) output? In other words, will the tv convert analog audio to digital? I want to connect my DVD components (audio & video) to the TV so it can be played direct, and also output TV audio to the A/V receiver in case we want better audio and surround sound. I'm happy with 2-channel tv audio out since my NAD receiver does a good job of spreading it around 5+ speakers.

I could probably just hook up some cables and give it a try, but in the last year our A/V setup has seen so many iterations of cables. I'm tired of guessing. And tired of buying cables thinking I know what will work best. Perhaps someone here has an easy answer? Thanks for any advice...
post #10 of 17 Old 02-06-2010, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Welcome 42spoke, if you have an Optical cable now try connecting it (DVD) to the A/V receiver and keeping the Component Cables (video) connected to the Tv.
Also it would help if you list your sources (make/model) and maybe cables can be cut down some.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-10-2010, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have the panny PS50 viera series and was able to get the 360 to pass DD through the HDMI cable to the TV and out the TV's optical out to my receiver with no problems.

In your 360 dashboard, go to system set up and look for the display settings and then "display discovery" Turn that off and you will have DD using just the HDMI cable.

Not sure about the PS3 though.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-10-2010, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Instead of starting a new thread, here is my problem:
Xbox 360>HDMI>TV>optical out> to receiver= Dolby digital and DTS surround sound on all 360 games.

DirecTV HR21/700>HDMI>TV>optical out> to receiver= 2-channel stereo or pro logic (digital PCM) but no DD or DTS surround sound.

Panny BD-90 player>HDMI>TV>optical out> to receiver= 2-channel stereo or pro logic (digital PCM) but no DD or DTS surround sound.

Checked every connection and set up on all devices with no luck, so why does the TV pass the XBOX DD/DTS with no issues but nothing else?????

Any ideas?
I have the Panasonic VIERA S1 Series TC-P50S1 plasma TV
post #13 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf0656 View Post

i have this tv also and it recommends using the optical connection from tv to receiver to listen to tv thru your HT speakers but i cant seem to get it to work. anyone have any thoughts? thanks

By doing that you get to listen to TV, not sources connected to the TV.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-02-2010, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian1 View Post

In your 360 dashboard, go to system set up and look for the display settings and then "display discovery" Turn that off and you will have DD using just the HDMI cable.

Not sure about the PS3 though.

This is correct. Display Discovery as been creating problems for some Xbox users. When you turn this setting off your xbox will restart, when its starts up again go back into settings and change to DD 5.1. This worked on my Panny X1.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-04-2010, 11:36 AM

Hi I bought a Panasonic Plasma and I tried to connect to my Cinemate speakers but I couldn't find any audio out in my TV. Do you know if there's any way to do it?

The speakers only have the RCA (RED AND WHITE JACK)

Thanks for your help
post #16 of 17 Old 05-24-2013, 01:22 PM

This is my first post and so many posts on this forum helped me solve many a problem. Thanks to all of you on the forum.

I also got a Viera and found out the hard way about the step down from 5.1 to stereo for inputs with 5.1/DD.
The other thing to note is that, for DD audio generated by the TV's apps (Netflix, etc.), the built in optical audio out does output DD. So, since I'm cheap and want to use my 15 year old amp with a single optical in, I bought a six dollar Toslink switch from Monoprice and 3, two dollar cables and now I'm running DD for absolutely everything -- Dish, DVD, Netflix from TV. Works great and I was amazed. Having to move a physical switch is a pain but better solutions for this are expensive with addl remotes, etc. Not for me and only an issue when I want surround.
Thought this might help some folks who are on a bit of a budget.
post #17 of 17 Old 03-06-2014, 07:58 AM

I want to thank bbass408 for his/her advice. I did exactly this and everything worked great! I'm not an expert at all this stuff so I was lost and now I am found :-)

One note. The $6 Toslink switch works, but not really that well. That is, when I switch between inputs, I have to jiggle it a few times to get the connection to "take". Suggestions on a higher quality switch?

Thanks!

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page