What's the smallest room you've tried 9.2 or 11.2 channels in? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Just add water and stir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Some people seem to be talking about the home decorating impact of lots of speakers and others about the aural impact. For the latter, I don't see any difficulty with lots of speakers, provided the room is not too reverberant. I have 11 speakers in a space of around 12x18x7 -- it's not a problem.

I can't use front heights and front widths simultaneously, but I can easily compare them using one button on my remote. They sound very different. Front widths put me up close to an ensemble, and front heights put me in a larger room.

Is it a magic button? Or just an everyday button?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Just add water and stir

Comparisons between fronts and wides, as to which one benefits more seems like comparing which windows in the car. Sure the windshield is the biggest, and nice to look out. But so are the front side windows, and then again, the benefits of over the shoulder checks without blind spots is nice too.

I think I struggle to see which combo is more useful, though I willingly admit, wides are more noticable in my room...I do find heights are involving and draw sounds much higher in their "awareness"
Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

Is it a magic button? Or just an everyday button?
Everyday. The "Speaker" button on the remote of my Pio sc1522 9.2 AVR gives 4 settings, 1 with FW and 2 with FH when using the Neo:X mode.

I use dipoles for FH, which might be why I get the impression of a larger space when I use them.

Greg Lee
Old 03-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Everyday. The "Speaker" button on the remote of my Pio sc1522 9.2 AVR gives 4 settings, 1 with FW and 2 with FH when using the Neo:X mode.

sweet
Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My room is about 17x14 and it will be 11.2. My 60 degree wides had to move up the wall. My heights aren't 45, they're left and up from my L and R speakers but not by much. Ill save this thread and report back when my build is finished.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I calibrated a client's room on the weekend in Dallas where he had a lower 7 channel array with 2 front and 2 rear 'presence' speakers (Yahama proprietary DSP) and a top array of another 7 channels running off a separate Sherwood receiver using Trinnov's spatial remapping. His room is small, maybe 10x10x15. It was definitely one of the more complex theaters I've calibrated, especially because the surround speakers in the lower array had their own subwoofers so we could get full range from the surrounds. The sense of envelopment was pretty stunning, and the height dimension definitely adds something.

Acoustic Frontiers: design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

I calibrated a client's room on the weekend in Dallas where he had a lower 7 channel array with 2 front and 2 rear 'presence' speakers (Yahama proprietary DSP) and a top array of another 7 channels running off a separate Sherwood receiver using Trinnov's spatial remapping. His room is small, maybe 10x10x15. It was definitely one of the more complex theaters I've calibrated, especially because the surround speakers in the lower array had their own subwoofers so we could get full range from the surrounds. The sense of envelopment was pretty stunning, and the height dimension definitely adds something.

That sounds awesome! Very inspiring.