AM/FM Radio Reception (Where to Research?) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-26-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

First of all, I had no idea where to even pose this question. This forum seemed like the best choice out of all the ones AVS offers, but if it must be moved, so be it.

I have a relative who is very fond of AM/FM radio. She just got a new radio for the house, but the reception in her area is terrible. My first thought was to get a better antenna, but like most Sub-$100 radios, it did not have an external antenna jack, just a wire sticking out of the back. So, I've been asked to find a better solution for them... a desktop radio that is known for good reception, and preferably one that can accept an expanded antenna.

I am not sure where to research this, because desktop radios are generally geared toward people looking to buy on the cheap, and don't generate the same reviews and research as full a/v setups. I'm sure a lot of you would suggest getting a full receiver with bookshelf speakers but I cannot stress enough that this is not an option. The Bose wave radio (or slightly larger) is the desired form factor, even though I'd be loathe recommend Bose specifically.

As I said, the original radio was about $100, although money is not exactly a factor if the replacement does have better reception. This is primarily an AM/FM device, so although I'd factor in CD/mp3/SatRadio compatibility, none of those are a significant detail. As I said before, I don't even know where to research this, could someone point me in the right direction?

--

Aaron J. Bossig

Some people like to complain about BluRay. I just like to watch movies in HD. I'm funny like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-26-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsLabRat View Post

Hi all,

First of all, I had no idea where to even pose this question. This forum seemed like the best choice out of all the ones AVS offers, but if it must be moved, so be it.

I have a relative who is very fond of AM/FM radio. She just got a new radio for the house, but the reception in her area is terrible. My first thought was to get a better antenna, but like most Sub-$100 radios, it did not have an external antenna jack, just a wire sticking out of the back. So, I've been asked to find a better solution for them... a desktop radio that is known for good reception, and preferably one that can accept an expanded antenna.

I am not sure where to research this, because desktop radios are generally geared toward people looking to buy on the cheap, and don't generate the same reviews and research as full a/v setups. I'm sure a lot of you would suggest getting a full receiver with bookshelf speakers but I cannot stress enough that this is not an option. The Bose wave radio (or slightly larger) is the desired form factor, even though I'd be loathe recommend Bose specifically.

As I said, the original radio was about $100, although money is not exactly a factor if the replacement does have better reception. This is primarily an AM/FM device, so although I'd factor in CD/mp3/SatRadio compatibility, none of those are a significant detail. As I said before, I don't even know where to research this, could someone point me in the right direction?

Try this... http://www.tivoliaudio.com

Espo77
post #3 of 5 Old 12-27-2009, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Tivoli, I think Sony still makes one. Look at the various HDFM table radios. Might troll e-bay to see what is out there.
The Bose would be a fine unit if it sold for $100. Form factor is good, and is what most rational people need. Sound at least fair.
Might look forward and look for iPod connection. Not my thing, but again, the trend.

Now for DIY fun. That wire is just a 75 Ohm quarter wave whip. You can replace it with a coax jack and run a "real" antenna. I soldered a balun to an old RadioShack and ran a folded dipole on it. ( 40 years ago) You can play games with the wire as is with foil and it's position. FM is transmitted with both polarities. This is the FM antenna.

You may have an AM antenna inside. The DX hobbyists still make external AM boosters. RF coupled. Buy or DIY.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-27-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post

Tivoli, I think Sony still makes one. Look at the various HDFM table radios. Might troll e-bay to see what is out there.
The Bose would be a fine unit if it sold for $100. Form factor is good, and is what most rational people need. Sound at least fair.
Might look forward and look for iPod connection. Not my thing, but again, the trend.

Now for DIY fun. That wire is just a 75 Ohm quarter wave whip. You can replace it with a coax jack and run a "real" antenna. I soldered a balun to an old RadioShack and ran a folded dipole on it. ( 40 years ago) You can play games with the wire as is with foil and it's position. FM is transmitted with both polarities. This is the FM antenna.

You may have an AM antenna inside. The DX hobbyists still make external AM boosters. RF coupled. Buy or DIY.

What do you mean "Sony still makes one" ?

Espo77
post #5 of 5 Old 12-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsLabRat View Post

Hi all,

Try looking here... http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-radios/

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page