Samsung Blu-Ray + DD 5.1 on Older Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-27-2009, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been upgrading my home theater setup piecemeal and have hit the first real snag that I'm unable to figure out on my own. I'm hoping someone will be able to lend a hand.

I have a Samsung LN46A750 HDTV with the latest firmware (1012.2). I just received a Samsung BD-P4600 Blu-Ray player. I have it wired directly to the TV via HDMI. The only older link in this system is a (by today's standards) ancient Yamaha RX-V595 receiver that I'm quite fond of. It has Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding via optical input, but no HDMI support, obviously. I've got the optical audio output from the TV wired into the DVD/LD optical audio input on the receiver. When I watch DVDs, however, (Blu-Ray or otherwise), the front of the display indicates "Pro Logic" rather than Dolby Digital as I would have seen with my previous (standard DVD) setup.

In my previous setup, I had a standard-def DVD player with the component video out routed to the TV and the optical audio out routed directly to the receiver (same input I'm using now). I would see the front display of the received switch to "Dolby Digital" when watching the main feature on a disc.

The brief listening tests I've done seem to suggest that I AM getting output from all speakers (center, main, and surrounds) in my system even though I'm in Pro Logic. I haven't had time to do any extensive testing to check whether placement in the soundstage is as I would have expected previously, but I wonder if anyone had any advice on how to get the comforting "Dolby Digital" processing on my receiver back on with this configuration. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-27-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 135
You need to run the optical connection from the player to the receiver, not from the TV to the receiver. When you run the audio through the TV, you get a stereo PCM output. The reason you are hearing sound from all your speakers is that ProLogic uses matrix processing to create surround sound. But, it's not the same as the discrete 5.1 you get in the original soundtrack.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaze426 View Post

I just received a Samsung BD-P4600 Blu-Ray player. I have it wired directly to the TV via HDMI. The only older link in this system is a (by today's standards) ancient Yamaha RX-V595 receiver that I'm quite fond of. It has Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding via optical input...I wonder if anyone had any advice on how to get the comforting "Dolby Digital" processing on my receiver back on with this configuration. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The other poster is correct. FWIW, I just got a Samsung BD-P1600 and have it hooked to my "ancient" Onkyo 5.1 receiver via optical and am getting 5.1 sound from Blu-Ray and DVD. I had to select the "bitstream audiophile" setting from the 3 audio output options on the Samsung. The PCM setting resulted in many audio dropouts and the "bitstream re-encode" setting had no sound from Blu-Ray discs but sounded fine with regular DVDs.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-27-2009, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

You need to run the optical connection from the player to the receiver, not from the TV to the receiver. When you run the audio through the TV, you get a stereo PCM output. The reason you are hearing sound from all your speakers is that ProLogic uses matrix processing to create surround sound. But, it's not the same as the discrete 5.1 you get in the original soundtrack.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to give that a shot now, but it raises another concern for me. Given that I'll now be feeding the video to the TV through HDMI and the audio separately to the receiver, I'm a bit concerned about audio sync issues. I may be back with questions along that line shortly, but I appreciate the help so far.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-27-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
I have my setup like that (DVD player, HDMI to the TV, optical to receiver), and have no audio sync issues.

If you get them, there may be a way to adjust it in the receiver.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #6 of 7 Old 12-27-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

I still think the odds were high that there would be issues, but things worked out quite well running the audio directly to the receiver from the BD-P4600. The audio sync is actually perfect which surprises me given there's no correlation between the audio processing time on the receiver and the video processing time on the TV. In any case, thanks for the help.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-27-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
There have been people who reported sync issues, but usually there's an adjustment to be made, or there is something funky going on with their setup. Quite a few run audio to the receiver and video to the TV without a problem. I've never had to adjust anything.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page