Center Speaker Replacement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently have a front setup comprised of Energy RC-30s with the RC-LCR Center powered by an Onyko TX-SR806 which does very well with one exception...the center seems to lack a little in voice clarity when it comes to movies at lower volume settings....Not a "deal killer" but unexpected from a center of this price...How much of a stretch would it be to break all the rules regarding "always use perfectly matched fronts" by trying one of the Klipsch horns with the RC-30s in hope of gaining better dialogue characteristics?...Is there anyone out there that has tried such an approach or something similiar? All relative input appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Well, mismatched centers and L/R speakers generally have tonal problems. As the sound pans across the front three, when it hits the center it sounds different. How much different depends on which speakers, but going from an aluminum dome tweeter on the Energys to a Klipsch horn, I don't think it will be pretty.

But it might sound okay to you. If you can try out the speaker for free, you have nothing to lose.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I would think you'd be better off boosting the center by 6db - I've seen others do this.

Ron
post #4 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdad View Post

Currently have a front setup comprised of Energy RC-30s with the RC-LCR Center powered by an Onyko TX-SR806 which does very well with one exception...the center seems to lack a little in voice clarity when it comes to movies at lower volume settings....Not a "deal killer" but unexpected from a center of this price...How much of a stretch would it be to break all the rules regarding "always use perfectly matched fronts" by trying one of the Klipsch horns with the RC-30s in hope of gaining better dialogue characteristics?...Is there anyone out there that has tried such an approach or something similiar? All relative input appreciated...

Where is the center channel located?

How far from the floor is it?

Is it aimed at your ears?

Have you correctly run Audyssey?
post #5 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
As much as I like Klipsch speakers, I think that is not the solution to your problem. The ear is less sensitive to certain frequencies at low volumes. Your receiver has several features to deal with this. Do you have Audyssey MultiEQ and Dynamic EQ enabled? How about THX Loudness Plus?
post #6 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ron....Made the upward adjustment & first impression says you might have nailed it although next couple of movies will tell the real story...Sometimes, the simple cure works best.... Regards, Jack
post #7 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Ron....Made the upward adjustment & first impression says you might have nailed it although next couple of movies will tell the real story...Sometimes, the simple cure works best.... Regards, Jack

Now that you have totally destroyed your system's balance (assuming you had everything balanced correctly in the first place), what do you do when you find the center now drowns out all the other channels?
post #8 of 14 Old 01-20-2010, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I agree with bluesky. You should rerun Audyssey, if Audyssey picks up the difference it will boost the db of the center by how ever much is needed to make it blend seemlessly with the front L&R. I've done many setups on different peoples equipment and everytime I ran Audyssey I found it boosts the center by anywhere from 1 - 4 db (eg if front left and right calibrate at +2db then the center will be +3 - +6db). And all these results I have seen have been from matched LCR speakers. Maybe this isn't always the case but it has been in every situation I've used Audyssey.

Shawn
post #9 of 14 Old 01-20-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Just cranking up the center is the wrong answer.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-20-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

I agree with bluesky. You should rerun Audyssey, if Audyssey picks up the difference it will boost the db of the center by how ever much is needed to make it blend seemlessly with the front L&R. I've done many setups on different peoples equipment and everytime I ran Audyssey I found it boosts the center by anywhere from 1 - 4 db (eg if front left and right calibrate at +2db then the center will be +3 - +6db). And all these results I have seen have been from matched LCR speakers. Maybe this isn't always the case but it has been in every situation I've used Audyssey.

I agree with these guys too. My suggestion is more last ditch before going to a mismatched center. esp. Klipsch w/Energy - egad!

Ron
post #11 of 14 Old 01-20-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

The OP would do well to answer my questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

Where is the center channel located?

How far from the floor is it?

Is it aimed at your ears?

Have you correctly run Audyssey?

post #12 of 14 Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The OP would do well to answer my questions.

As stated in the my original post, the question was whether or not anyone had successfully broken all the rules by replacing a center with one of another manufacturer...As anticipated, the total response was a quite clear no which I accept & thank everyone....FYI, center is positioned 30" high directly beneath a 46" Sony pointed directly between the ears 8 ft. back...Audyssey setup was done by the book...The short-term fix suggested by Ron is merely that until further fine tuning hopefully results in what is considered to be acceptable dialogue...Appreciate your interest...
post #13 of 14 Old 01-20-2010, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As stated in the my original post, the question was whether or not anyone had successfully broken all the rules by replacing a center with one of another manufacturer...As anticipated, the total response was a quite clear no which I accept & thank everyone....FYI, center is positioned 30" high directly beneath a 46" Sony pointed directly between the ears 8 ft. back...Audyssey setup was done by the book...The short-term fix suggested by Ron is merely that until further fine tuning hopefully results in what is considered to be acceptable dialogue...Appreciate your interest...

You do not understand. Problems like you are having come up all the time in the Audyssey thread. 95% of the time they are due to improperly placed centers and/or Audyssey not being run correctly. The other 5% are due to speakers with damaged drivers. I asked those questions to try and get an understanding of how your center speaker is configured. More information is required in order to give you the best advice. If you want further help, I/we will be glad to give it. It you don't, well good luck.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-21-2010, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You do not understand. Problems like you are having come up all the time in the Audyssey thread. 95% of the time they are due to improperly placed centers and/or Audyssey not being run correctly. The other 5% are due to speakers with damaged drivers. I asked those questions to try and get an understanding of how your center speaker is configured. More information is required in order to give you the best advice. If you want further help, I/we will be glad to give it. It you don't, well good luck.

Thanks much for the kind offer...Will be sure to take advantage of your expertise as needed...
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page