Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-24-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got this TV which has SRS Trusurround HD, but what I want to know is
should I have this turned on, even if I don't use a sound system on this TV?.

I am asking because I noticed that when I have it ON while watching HDCABLE, the quality of the sound is clearer but it has a none popping/ needs to have more bass quality to it, like I need to have the volume at 30+ to hear it loud.

But get this, when I turn SRS off, the TV lets you
access some SOUND MODES which all have Equalized settings specifically
suited for each mode (ROCK/POP/JAZZ/CLASSIC), which all sound diverse, I only need to have volume at 20 and it seems loud.

So I am wondering if that SRS Trusurround feature is for people with...surround systems which I don't have?,

The SRS site hypes it up as being great for TV speakers while gaming though???...

http://soundingoff.srslabs.com/?p=961

SRS TruSurround is a multichannel format processing technology that takes a 5.1 audio signal and creates an immersive surround sound experience with deep bass and crystal clear dialog all through the existing built-in TV speakers.

This might sound like magic or a bit unbelievable, but its true and there is actually science behind it. Here at SRS Labs, we spend countless hours engineering audio solutions that overcome the physical speaker limitations based on our knowledge of psychoacoustics (the study of how the human hearing system works). Simply by having SRS TruSurround XT™ or TruSurround HD™ turned-on, your TV can produce audio that sounds like you have phantom speakers surrounding you, placing you in the center of all the action. Gunfire, voices and other action will sound like it’s all around you, while collectively the ambient noise and sound effects within any game you play will sound more natural. Obviously there is only so much you can do without a subwoofer and satellite speakers, but for those of you who love gaming and want to feel as if you’re in the game, make sure you look for a new TV that has SRS TruSurround XT or SRS TruSurround HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-24-2010, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Audio experts or into people audio can you please give me some input on this.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-25-2010, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't read the link, but I believe it is a way to create 5.1 type surround with fewer than 5.1 speakers.

The only thing that matters though, it what sounds best to you. It may be great for watching movies, but not for the news or other sources.

HTH
post #4 of 9 Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What I posted in quotes/colors is the best part of that article. But yea you're right, perhaps I should have one of the modes with SRS OFF when watching HDCable and have SRS ON when playing PS3 and watching movies, since 9 times out of 10 they will have 5.1 sound quality.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 08:03 AM

So SRS TruSurround XT will work with only TV speakers alone? I dont need to have a surround sound system hooked up for it to work, right? It should work with my TV by itself, without additional speakers or a surround system? My tv speakers by themselfves should allow SRS Trusurround XT to work?? I dont need anything else hooked up for it to work, my tv alone is good to work with the SRS TruSurround XT?? Is thats what you guys are saying???
post #6 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
SRS Labs was recently bought by DTS for their metadata surround sound codec (Multi-Dimensional Audio). Here is a link to the site with TruSurround info.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-03-2013, 10:23 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

SRS Labs was recently bought by DTS for their metadata surround sound codec (Multi-Dimensional Audio). Here is a link to the site with TruSurround 2.gifinfo.
I've read a lot of reviews before deciding on this HDTV.This HDTV offers a superb value for anyone looking for a Smart TV that has solid picture quality for 299.00
post #8 of 9 Old 07-23-2013, 05:54 PM

No, the SRS TruSurround XT Technology only works with your TV's built-in onboard speakers, which is usually just two or three small little tiny speakers built into the back, side, or bottom of the television. The technology will be able to create a full home theater effect (usually only able to be created with a five to six speaker system setup) but instead reproducing that kind of sound only using the TV's built in speakers. You do not need any external equipment, product, or source needed to operate or enjoy this feature, so you can just go ahead and turn the SRS feature on from your TV's settings/menu, and the TV will automatically start processing and reproducing audio and sound using the built in TV speakers.

Lastly, say if you do decide to equip your television into a full home theater system sometime in the near future by adding more larger external speakers, louder sound and bass, an actual subwoofer, and an A/V receiver, then the SRS technology would not apply to that type of setup, as the television's built in onboard speakers would be turned off and not be into play and only the external speakers and subwoofer would be producing sound, and the A/V receiver would be responsible for creating all the sound effects and doing the mixing and sending sound signals to the speakers. So basically being said, the SRS technology is only applicable to the television's built in speakers and does not require external equipment to function when using TV speakers, but the SRS technology also doesn't enhance external sound sources.

Hope I helped and answered your question. Let me know if you need anything else, and have a great day.

Good luck with your TV watching and set up, all the best smile.gif

Also, what brand and model is your television?
post #9 of 9 Old 07-23-2013, 05:54 PM

No, the SRS TruSurround XT Technology only works with your TV's built-in onboard speakers, which is usually just two or three small little tiny speakers built into the back, side, or bottom of the television. The technology will be able to create a full home theater effect (usually only able to be created with a five to six speaker system setup) but instead reproducing that kind of sound only using the TV's built in speakers. You do not need any external equipment, product, or source needed to operate or enjoy this feature, so you can just go ahead and turn the SRS feature on from your TV's settings/menu, and the TV will automatically start processing and reproducing audio and sound using the built in TV speakers.

Lastly, say if you do decide to equip your television into a full home theater system sometime in the near future by adding more larger external speakers, louder sound and bass, an actual subwoofer, and an A/V receiver, then the SRS technology would not apply to that type of setup, as the television's built in onboard speakers would be turned off and not be into play and only the external speakers and subwoofer would be producing sound, and the A/V receiver would be responsible for creating all the sound effects and doing the mixing and sending sound signals to the speakers. So basically being said, the SRS technology is only applicable to the television's built in speakers and does not require external equipment to function when using TV speakers, but the SRS technology also doesn't enhance external sound sources.

Hope I helped and answered your question. Let me know if you need anything else, and have a great day.

Good luck with your TV watching and set up, all the best smile.gif

Also, what brand and model is your television?
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat