Dont buy Home Depot speaker wire - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought 12 gauge home depot speaker wire about a month ago for my new rear surrounds. About a week later I blew my right channel. I returned my rear surround as it was new and still under warranty. I connected the new speaker and sure enough the same thing happened a week later the right surround blew once again. I checked all the connections and everything was fine. I then ordered some canare wire from blue jeans cables. When I took the wire down I noticed that inside the wire was all green corrosion inside the wire. I replaced the speaker again with a new one changed the wires and I have not had any problems since. So dont take a cranky old mans advice and by cheap wire from home depot. Thank God my expensive surrounds were new! Just wanted to share my experience I would stay far away from cheap wire from the depot and some cranky old mans advice of buying home depot wire. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Since you indicate that "you blew your right channel" and blame the wire I would have to ask you how you think a wire with internal corrosion or not blew your speaker. There is nothing in a wire that has the capability to blow a speaker.

BTW HOW did it "blow"? Was the voice coil fried open? That would require and excess of power fro the amp or severe clipping. (chopped DC instead of audio frequency AC getting to the speaker)

Professionally speaking there was another cause that was falsely BLAMED on the wire and corrected subsequently either by you accidently OR there was a defect in the speaker of some sort.

Damage in a wire such as a short between conductors would have zero effect on the speaker but WOULD damage the amplifier.
post #3 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Well the speaker is fine now and green corroded wires from Home Depot is not good! I do say that that was the problem I am running a good amp and paradigm studio 20's for my rear. I believe that was the problem I dont care what mumbo jumbo you preach... I am just want to warn others who may get conned into buying cheap crappy wires because some idiot says they are fine... Have a great day
post #4 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjiville View Post

Well the speaker is fine now and green corroded wires from Home Depot is not good! I do say that that was the problem I am running a good amp and paradigm studio 20's for my rear. I believe that was the problem I dont care what mumbo jumbo you preach... I am just want to warn others who may get conned into buying cheap crappy wires because some idiot says they are fine... Have a great day

It is not mumbo-jumbo. He is stating the truth based on physics. If you choose to blame corroded wires for blowing your speaker, feel free to do so but we will also feel free to

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 09:32 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

No mumbo jumbo there he is just stating facts, there is no way for corrosion in a wire to cause a speaker to blow, that is always clipping or not as ofter over powering it, the corrosion would cause the amp to blow a channel if the cable shorted but nothing would happen to the speaker

"There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as if everything is." Einstein

Now Format Neutral

post #6 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So why did you buy cable from Home Depot in the firstplace? Why didn't you notice the green corrosion when you first installed them? It is going to take a lot longer than one month for wire to corrode. And for the record, Giz is correct. A short in the wire (either internally or at the connectors) cannot cause a spealer to fail but it will cause an amp to fail in a heartbeat. Clearly you know very little about electricity or electrical signals.
post #7 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Home depot wire sucks dont buy it.
post #8 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:

one persons uneducated opinion

Now Format Neutral

post #9 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

An, articulate, well researched and reasoned response.

What is it about speaker wire that does this to people?

By the way, I've been running home depot wire in my theater for almost 10 years now.
post #10 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Wow dude, you're a tightly wound bundle of reactionary nerve endings, aren't you.

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Like words being cut-off before they've had a chance to finish, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post without comment, please check your zipper.
post #11 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah! The light goes on. You're the guy who wanted to use solid core magnet wire for your speakers because someone told you it was better. Then you wanted to buy some unknown speaker cable off the Internet that was silver plated because someone told you it was better. Then you went out and bought corroded Home Depot speaker cable (which you apparently were oblivious to from the get go) and mysteriously had a speaker blow. Wow. You have quite a track record.

Well, at least you ended up with some decent cable. Hope you don't blow anything else up.
post #12 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
If it was the speaker wire that blew your speaker, why did all of your speakers connected with this wire not blow?
post #13 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzz View Post

one persons uneducated opinion

OK you go buy there crappy corroded wire then you must be really smart... and I had that wire only for my 2 surrounds before I began my quest for good wire.
post #14 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:

OK you go buy there crappy corroded wire then you must be really smart... and I had that wire only for my 2 surrounds before I began my quest for good wire.

well I guess I'm smart enough to not buy wire if it's corroded in the first place

Now Format Neutral

post #15 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
+1 to what Giz, Kal, and others have said.

Wire cannot blow your loudspeaker.

Bob Lee
Applications Engineer
QSC Audio Products, LLC
Costa Mesa, Calif.

Secretary, Audio Engineering Society
post #16 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Brah - toss that crappy BJC garbage and upgrade to Monster brand speaker wire! At only ~$250/ft its an awesome deal that will give you better clarity and crisper sounding highs.

Then toss those speakes you have and upgrade to a Bose wave system. (or if you are obesely rich, the Lifestyle system)

I mean its costs waaaayyyyy more so its got to be better right?

Xbox360 / PS3 / Failed HDM Supporter
I have no idea what you are referring to
Gamertag: antwon412
(A/V)Ignorance is Bliss -------- sweet, cheap bliss
post #17 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

I bought 12 gauge home depot speaker wire about a month ago for my new rear surrounds. About a week later I blew my right channel. I returned my rear surround as it was new and still under warranty. I connected the new speaker and sure enough the same thing happened a week later the right surround blew once again. I checked all the connections and everything was fine. I then ordered some canare wire from blue jeans cables. When I took the wire down I noticed that inside the wire was all green corrosion inside the wire. I replaced the speaker again with a new one changed the wires and I have not had any problems since. So dont take a cranky old mans advice and by cheap wire from home depot. Thank God my expensive surrounds were new! Just wanted to share my experience I would stay far away from cheap wire from the depot and some cranky old mans advice of buying home depot wire. Good luck

Green patina on copper is not corrosion. Patina prevents corrosion. Is the Statue of Liberty corroded because it has a green patina on the copper skin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patina

As long as the connection points between the terminals and end of the wire are clean, the color of the wire means nothing much at all.

post #18 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I looked at my 15 year old Radio Shack clear jacket speaker wire that I use between my speakers and my wall outlets, and they are not green at all. Perhaps the plastic insulation on the Home Depot wire is causing a chemical reaction with the copper.

I don't even use "speaker" wire for wire that is installed in my walls and ceiling. I use standard 2 conductor communication wire that uses tinned copper.
post #19 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Again I ask, why did your other speaker that was connected with the same wire not blow?
post #20 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie View Post

Again I ask, why did your other speaker that was connected with the same wire not blow?

He obviously can't answer that question, because he's decided that he knows what was wrong, despite reasonable responses to the contrary.

At this point, unless he comes back and just admits that there was some other possible cause for the speaker problems, he's just going to get piled on.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #21 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You know, its threads like this one that make me want to go out to Home Depot and buy speaker wire just to prove someone wrong.
post #22 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk View Post

He obviously can't answer that question, because he's decided that he knows what was wrong, despite reasonable responses to the contrary.

At this point, unless he comes back and just admits that there was some other possible cause for the speaker problems, he's just going to get piled on.

Then he shouldn't have posted something so utterly stupid.
post #23 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Did it ever enter your mind that when your speakers blew and you replaced them the only connections that you changed were the connections at the speaker. Then when you went out and bought new wire you now had to re-do the connection at the receiver end where you most likely had a short to begin with? Have you even considered this??? Nawww why would you.
post #24 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie View Post

Then he shouldn't have posted something so utterly stupid.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but pretty much everything he's posted on this thread has been utterly stupid (or more appropriately, ignorant and arrogant).

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #25 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 11:54 AM

uh, someone got mad with home depot and starting the blame game here
post #26 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I've been using the same 14AWG speaker wire that I bought from "Home Emporium" (Kind of like Rickels... predecessors to Home Depot/Lowes) ~ 30 years ago.

Never blew any speaker. I love my green patina!

Only bad green thing in this thread that is bad... is the wire troll.

Oops... just saw a new post.

LOL!!! I was persuaded quite a few years ago to try MIT speaker cables (~$300 for an 8' pair) when I bought my new receiver. I was asked to give them two weeks of "break in". After three weeks and no improvement in sound, I returned them and reinstalled my green speaker wire and never looked back.
post #27 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm worried that your wire may be touching the ground. Have you looked into cable lifters? You want to be sure to avoid ground loop issues.

Ron

post #28 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk View Post

I'm not disagreeing with you, but pretty much everything he's posted on this thread has been utterly stupid (or more appropriately, ignorant and arrogant).

I know, I forgot to add a smilely after my post.
post #29 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Corroded wire bad, me thinks I buy super wire....good.
post #30 of 139 Old 01-28-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

You know, its threads like this one that make me want to go out to Home Depot and buy speaker wire just to prove someone wrong.

In reality, it was Monster Cable. Mine used to turn green too. It was absolute heck stuffing the wire back into the cable jacket after its weekly polishing.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page