Diagonal Room 7.1 Speaker Placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question on room setup and speaker placement. I have a relatively small room and in order to conserve space and maximize seating, going diagonal is the only way the furniture works. All of the furniture is locked in the positions shown below (I don't want to relocate projector/screen), I just want to know if the speaker layout looks alright. I'll be running new speaker cable when I upgrade to 7.1 here soon.

Are the surrounds about as good as they can get? Should I separate the rear channels a bit more? Or do I ditch the 7.1 and keep 5.1 note my current 5.1 has all speakers in the same place, just the rear channels are gone).

I'd really like to go 7.1 if the room allows...

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentJ20 View Post

I have a question on room setup and speaker placement. I have a relatively small room and in order to conserve space and maximize seating, going diagonal is the only way the furniture works. All of the furniture is locked in the positions shown below (I don't want to relocate projector/screen), I just want to know if the speaker layout looks alright. I'll be running new speaker cable when I upgrade to 7.1 here soon.

Are the surrounds about as good as they can get? Should I separate the rear channels a bit more? Or do I ditch the 7.1 and keep 5.1 note my current 5.1 has all speakers in the same place, just the rear channels are gone).

I'd really like to go 7.1 if the room allows...

Thanks,

I would ditch the rear channels and use di-poles on the sides
post #3 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
If you wanna stay diagonal and you wanna do 7.1 go for it. My recommended changes would be to keep the sub where its at but put it at an angle to the corner so its parallel with your screen. Also I would move the surround right and surround left a bit wider to get them away from the ends of your couch. Move surround left toward bookshelf and move surround right toward movie rack. Seperate the rears just a little.

Shawn
post #4 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
OK but I'd sit near the middle of the room rather than on the sofa.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Kind of being self centered there Kal.

Have you ever heard sayings like "You make a better door than a window" or "Down in front"?
post #6 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie View Post

I would ditch the rear channels and use di-poles on the sides

Maybe I should have stated I don't want to buy/build more speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

If you wanna stay diagonal and you wanna do 7.1 go for it. My recommended changes would be to keep the sub where its at but put it at an angle to the corner so its parallel with your screen. Also I would move the surround right and surround left a bit wider to get them away from the ends of your couch. Move surround left toward bookshelf and move surround right toward movie rack. Seperate the rears just a little.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I'll see what I can do with the limitations I have. I am curious about your comment for the sub, though. How would the direction the sub faces change the sound? I understood it as the bass frequencies being fairly omnidirectional and independent on sub orientation?

Quote:

Tell me about it. I realize it's not ideal. Just trying to make it as good as I can.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Kind of being self centered there Kal.

Isn't that what I said? Clearly, those who want to hear the sound better balanced would find that a better position.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #8 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I am curious about your comment for the sub, though. How would the direction the sub faces change the sound? I understood it as the bass frequencies being fairly omnidirectional and independent on sub orientation?

You are right. It should make no difference.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #9 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am curious about your comment for the sub, though. How would the direction the sub faces change the sound? I understood it as the bass frequencies being fairly omnidirectional and independent on sub orientation?

What type of sub is it (sealed, ported, passive radiator)? Which side is the speaker on and if there is a port or passive radiator which side is that on? The reason I said to angle it parallel to your screen is because the way you have it facing in the picture you are going to get a terrible amount of reflections along that wall and it will affect the sound of the bass because the same sound will hit your ears at different times. You were correct that bass below about 100hz is omnidirectional but how the sound waves bounce off walls will affect the sound. Corner loading a sub is ok but from my experience you want the sub at an angle into the middle of the room and not at a 90 with the wall.

Shawn
post #10 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

What type of sub is it (sealed, ported, passive radiator)? Which side is the speaker on and if there is a port or passive radiator which side is that on? The reason I said to angle it parallel to your screen is because the way you have it facing in the picture you are going to get a terrible amount of reflections along that wall and it will affect the sound of the bass because the same sound will hit your ears at different times. You were correct that bass below about 100hz is omnidirectional but how the sound waves bounce off walls will affect the sound. Corner loading a sub is ok but from my experience you want the sub at an angle into the middle of the room and not at a 90 with the wall.

Omnidirectional means that it radiates equally in all directions, so which way you aim the sub is totally irrelevant. How do you think bottom firing subs work? All you want to do is make sure you leave a few inches between the driver or port and the wall if they are aimed at the wall.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Bluesky I'm not trying to argue, but I'm just curious. I have 2 identical subs each has a 10" down firing sub with a 4" front firing port. If I have them at a 45 with the port facing the corner I have tons of bass but it is very muddy and boomy and sounds very distorted but if i put them at a 45 with the port facing the middle of the room there is less bass but it has very little distortion and it is more punchy and tight and not as muddy and boomy. If I place them at a 90 with the port facing front it is a mix between the two other positions but there is a bass dead spot in the main seating position but way too much bass near the walls and at the other couch that is up against a side wall.

Why am I getting these results?

Shawn
post #12 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bluesky I'm not trying to argue, but I'm just curious. I have 2 identical subs each has a 10" down firing sub with a 4" front firing port. If I have them at a 45 with the port facing the corner I have tons of bass but it is very muddy and boomy and sounds very distorted but if i put them at a 45 with the port facing the middle of the room there is less bass but it has very little distortion and it is more punchy and tight and not as muddy and boomy. If I place them at a 90 with the port facing front it is a mix between the two other positions but there is a bass dead spot in the main seating position but way too much bass near the walls and at the other couch that is up against a side wall.

Why am I getting these results?

Truthfully, I have no answer. It should make no difference that I can see.

Kal? J_Palmer? HD? Anyone?
post #13 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

Truthfully, I have no answer. It should make no difference that I can see.

Kal? J_Palmer? HD? Anyone?

Output from the port, especially if the port is much smaller than the driver, is of much higher velocity at the port mouth and is more likely to be affected by nearby surfaces than the output from the driver. It really needs some clearance from boundaries.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #14 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Could we assume the port noise--if high enough velocity--would be somewhat directioal? Or just the output from the port is cancelling out/combining with the driver output to cause muddiness? My sub is sealed so I can't experiment.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-05-2010, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Output from the port, especially if the port is much smaller than the driver, is of much higher velocity at the port mouth and is more likely to be affected by nearby surfaces than the output from the driver. It really needs some clearance from boundaries.

That's the only thing I can figure, hence the comment in my original post, below. Hsu says to keep a minimum of 3" between the port(s) and any wall for my VTF-2 Mk3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

Omnidirectional means that it radiates equally in all directions, so which way you aim the sub is totally irrelevant. How do you think bottom firing subs work? All you want to do is make sure you leave a few inches between the driver or port and the wall if they are aimed at the wall.

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page