Running wire to baseboard without removal - tips? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-14-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all - installing some in-wall surround speakers in a 7.1 setup. Have a few questions. It's for my basement (I own) but there's no access above, underneath, or at the sides. There is a large enough gap btwn the carpet and baseboard that I can run two 18-gauge four-conductor wires to the back of the room and then I was planning to split the wires off and run them up into the walls to the speakers.

First, I see that THX calls for putting the rear surrounds right next to each other, while most setups including DTS call for spacing them out. I had planned on spacing them out perhaps 4 feet apart, which is the most I can between the windows in my basement, but didn't know what the common practice is. I'm not concerned about meeting THX specs.

Second, I considered removing the baseboard so that I can bring the wire down from the speaker to the floor without it showing, but it seems a bit daunting and maybe unnecessary since most of the rear wall is concealed behind furniture. So what I was thinking was drilling a hole in the wall just above the baseboard and bringing the wire out, running it straight down across the face of the baseboard (maybe two inches, painted white like the wire) and into the gap between the baseboard and carpet. Has anybody used this method / recommend an alternative? I'm not sure how large a hole to drill but I figure it need only be large enough for the 18-gauge wire and maybe the fish tape or coat hanger needed to fish the wire through the hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Jeff View Post

Hi all - installing some in-wall surround speakers in a 7.1 setup. Have a few questions. It's for my basement (I own) but there's no access above, underneath, or at the sides. There is a large enough gap btwn the carpet and baseboard that I can run two 18-gauge four-conductor wires to the back of the room and then I was planning to split the wires off and run them up into the walls to the speakers.

First, I see that THX calls for putting the rear surrounds right next to each other, while most setups including DTS call for spacing them out. I had planned on spacing them out perhaps 4 feet apart, which is the most I can between the windows in my basement, but didn't know what the common practice is. I'm not concerned about meeting THX specs.

Second, I considered removing the baseboard so that I can bring the wire down from the speaker to the floor without it showing, but it seems a bit daunting and maybe unnecessary since most of the rear wall is concealed behind furniture. So what I was thinking was drilling a hole in the wall just above the baseboard and bringing the wire out, running it straight down across the face of the baseboard (maybe two inches, painted white like the wire) and into the gap between the baseboard and carpet. Has anybody used this method / recommend an alternative? I'm not sure how large a hole to drill but I figure it need only be large enough for the 18-gauge wire and maybe the fish tape or coat hanger needed to fish the wire through the hole.

What you're suggesting shouldn't be too conspicuous. I doubt that anyone other than you would notice once it's "camouflaged" with paint. On the other hand pulling baseboard and reinstalling isn't hard at all. Any damage can easily be touched up on the drywall or baseboard with putty and paint.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-15-2010, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Quote:

Has anybody used this method / recommend an alternative? I'm not sure how large a hole to drill but I figure it need only be large enough for the 18-gauge wire and maybe the fish tape or coat hanger needed to fish the wire through the hole.

I’ve done this – works fine. Inside the link in my signature you’ll find a tutorial on in-wall wiring that will show you how to get the wire from that point up to the speaker.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

post #4 of 5 Old 02-16-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post

I've done this - works fine. Inside the link in my signature you'll find a tutorial on in-wall wiring that will show you how to get the wire from that point up to the speaker.

Thanks for the advice Wayne, your how-to's have been invaluable. The magnetic "antenna" + chain method worked great for one of the speakers though the rest are going into insulated walls and so I'm going to have to deploy the fish tape.

Where I sawed the holes into the drywall I cut through the paper backing on the insulation. Is there a need to repair this perhaps with some tape? Or should I just leave it be?
post #5 of 5 Old 02-16-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Jeff View Post

The THX recommendation is only for those with THX Ultra 2/Select 2 AVRS using the THX Advanced Speaker Array processing with THX Ultra 2/Select 2 Cinema/Music/Games modes (Not to be confused, but often is, with the basic THX processing modes). This should not be a concern to you,
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page