"LFE Level" and other question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-28-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a yamaha receiver, and the highest LFE level is 0, everything else is -something, what is a common setting?

And under the settings, it says what the speaker distances are, does it matter what the sub is set to?

I have tried soooo many different settings the last few days, and am so frustrated that I can't get the sound I'm looking for, just wondering how important these 2 things are.

I'm a complete noob and am trying to learn, but right now I am completely lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post

I have a yamaha receiver, and the highest LFE level is 0, everything else is -something, what is a common setting?

And under the settings, it says what the speaker distances are, does it matter what the sub is set to?

You may find the answer or get a better response if there is a forum dedicated to your receiver in the receiver forum section.

Did you run the YPAO setup? That's probably as close as you can get to "optimum" settings. If you don't like the sound, then tweak settings until you do.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-28-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

I have a yamaha receiver, and the highest LFE level is 0, everything else is -something, what is a common setting?...

The correct setting is the calibrated setting (this applies not just to the sub but all of your speakers). If your receiver doesn't have an auto calibrating system like Audyssey then you need a SPL meter (should have one anyway) like a Rat Shack.

Quote:

...And under the settings, it says what the speaker distances are, does it matter what the sub is set to?...

Yes it does and distances should be measured and set again for all of your speakers.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-28-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Shane R, there is no need to post this at three different thread. Others are trying to
help with recommendation and questions but there is no feedback from you.
Hardly any bass??
**Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread
post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2010, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Shane R, there is no need to post this at three different thread. Others are trying to
help with recommendation and questions but there is no feedback from you.
Hardly any bass??
**Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread

The receiver thread is a different receiver than mine so I decided to stay out of it.

I could not find the other thread, but now see it is back a page, clearly I am not very good on a message board either.

I appreciate all the input, I didn't post here because I wasn't getting any answers, just wasn't sure what happened to the other thread. Thank you guys....

My next question, I have a movie in, I hear music, but no voices. ugh
post #6 of 7 Old 02-28-2010, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Set the LFE level to the default setting and leave it alone. The default setting for that receiver is probably "0". That setting is different from the subwoofer channel level trim and is only there for the (now) very rarely encountered old recording that has an incorrectly encoded LFE channel.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #7 of 7 Old 02-28-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Set the LFE level to the default setting and leave it alone. The default setting for that receiver is probably "0". That setting is different from the subwoofer channel level trim and is only there for the (now) very rarely encountered old recording that has an incorrectly encoded LFE channel.

Thank you, it was weird to me that there were no positive settings, just negative like "-3", after all the input I received here I think I have it finally.

Thank you!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page