Sounds good from cable box, souns like crap from tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-08-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. I have a sony str-de915 receiver, time Warner scientific America explorer 8300 hdc cable box and Toshiba 42rv535u television. When I play sound directly from the time warner box via rca cables it sounds like what I expect. However, since I have several components this is the setup I have. Cable box, ps2, and a Wii plugged into my tv. I tried regular rca cables and a digital out from the tv to my receiver. (I am currently using the digital out, but there was no improvement in sound). The sound is ok if I use just the front speakers. When I try using the surround is where I get a really bad sound. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Can you further describe "really bad sound"? Is it static or noise, does it sound hollow or unfocused? You said it is okay if you just use the front speakers, but do not like it in surround. What surround mode are you using? Try the different modes. They all process the stereo signal differently to get a pseudo-surround sound effect. I agree that for TV they usually do not sound very focused. TV is not made for large surround sound systems.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-09-2010, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeavs View Post

Hello. I have a sony str-de915 receiver, time Warner scientific America explorer 8300 hdc cable box and Toshiba 42rv535u television. When I play sound directly from the time warner box via rca cables it sounds like what I expect. However, since I have several components this is the setup I have. Cable box, ps2, and a Wii plugged into my tv. I tried regular rca cables and a digital out from the tv to my receiver. (I am currently using the digital out, but there was no improvement in sound). The sound is ok if I use just the front speakers. When I try using the surround is where I get a really bad sound. Any ideas?

Does your Sony lack enough inputs to just route all sources to it? Your cable box and PS2 would need optical outputs and your Wii just needs regular old stereo RCAs. That would be 3 video sources. I'm not sure if your component video inputs are hi-def compatible, but if they're not you can run video from your cable box directly to your TV and route the optical audio to your AVR.
post #4 of 17 Old 03-10-2010, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

XanderMoser : your description of hollow really hits the nail on the head. The sound is good if I do not try any of the surround modes. Each device sounds good if I plug it directly into the receiver. All modes bt normal or bypass sound hollow.

Easyaspie: I have enough inputs on my reciever, but my RCA cables are all bound together (video and audio). I got some after market cables that are supposed to have better video quality. It was take some careful work with a razor blade to separate each cable. I do not believe the PS2 has any inputs at all. I do not see any optical inputs on the TV.

I tried to post pictures of my equipment, They were links to websties with the same model as mine, but I am too new. Sorry.

Let me see if I understand. Are you asking me to plug everything into my receiver then all sources to the TV with 1 set of cables? I do not think I have an optical in on the tv so would I just do this with normal RCA cables? If so the only problem I have is the cables from the WII and ps2 are bound together. They even have the plastic pieces on the hold them together.

Thank you for helping. I am willing to answer anything you need to know.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-10-2010, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

XanderMoser : your description of hollow really hits the nail on the head. The sound is good if I do not try any of the surround modes. Each device sounds good if I plug it directly into the receiver. All modes bt normal or bypass sound hollow.

Easyaspie: I have enough inputs on my reciever, but my RCA cables are all bound together (video and audio). I got some after market cables that are supposed to have better video quality. It was take some careful work with a razor blade to separate each cable. I do not believe the PS2 has any inputs at all. I do not see any optical inputs on the TV.

I tried to post pictures of my equipment, They were links to websties with the same model as mine, but I am too new. Sorry.

Let me see if I understand. Are you asking me to plug everything into my receiver then all sources to the TV with 1 set of cables? I do not think I have an optical in on the tv so would I just do this with normal RCA cables? If so the only problem I have is the cables from the WII and ps2 are bound together. They even have the plastic pieces on the hold them together.

Thank you for helping. I am willing to answer anything you need to know.

Your TV doesn't need an optical input nor does your PS2. Sorry, in my earlier post I see that I mistakenly said input instead of output. I fixed it.

I'll explain in more detail:

What I meant was that your cable box should and your PS2 definitely does have an optical output. Run optical cables from eack of those outputs directly to your receiver. That will get you true 5.1 surround sound from those sources. You are not getting true surround now.

For video your cable box will have component video outputs, use them. If your Sony receiver's component video inputs are hi-def compatible, use them. For your PS2's video, you can get a proprietary cable with component video connections that will replace the one I believe you are using now to get a progressive scan image. It won't be hi-def but will be better than your composite connection. For your Wii, you can get another proprietary cable to replace the one that came with the Wii that has component video and stereo RCA connections on it. This will also allow yuou to get a progressive scan image from your Wii, again it won't be hi-def, but your games will be played in widescreen format. For audio on the Wii, the stereo RCAs will do just fine.

If you do the above, the only cable you need connected to your TV will be a component video cable from your Sony to take care of video. All audio will be handled by the Sony. You will need to have your Sony on all the time as no audio will be produced by your TV.

BTW, all the cables with the exception of the proprietary cables for the PS2 and Wii can be had from Monoprice. A good source for the proprietary cables would be either Parts Express or an Amazon vendor. just do a search.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-10-2010, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

1 more note on the hollow sound. Voices are what is lacking the most. I hear car crashes and other sounds, but it is the dialog that is the hardest to hear.

I wanted to use my TV as the central source because sometimes you just want to watch a little tv and I did not want to power up the system to watch the news. My ideal situation would be to allow my television to be the central hub so I do not have to have the stereo on all the time.

I think what you are saying should work. I will do some cable rearranging and see if if I can get good sound and picture. If that does resolve the sound issue I may have to compromise (good sound all the time (but consuming more power), moving cables for movies and video games, or other?)

Thank you for your help.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1 more note on the hollow sound. Voices are what is lacking the most. I hear car crashes and other sounds, but it is the dialog that is the hardest to hear.

Your description sounds very much like what some pseudo-surround modes do to many stereo sources, such as music or cable TV.

For what it's worth, I rarely take stereo sources and use the surround modes on them, for this exact reason. I find that they usually don't sound very good.

Sometimes the DTS Neo sounds more full to me than the Dolby ProLogic II modes.

In some modes you can change the "width." This will take what it normally sticks in the center channel and spread it out among the front 3 speakers. This may help your situation. It still never sounds quite right to me though. Because it's just extra processing that takes stuff away. Stereo always sounds better for music and most other 2-channel sources (all my opinion).

Edit: I read the above posts, and I agree with Easyaspie's wiring suggestions. Definitely use optical from all the sources that you can to get true surround if available. If the source is stereo, optical will still give you stereo and you can do whatever you want with that signal with the receiver.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-10-2010, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

-------8><-------

I would expect that this is because your tv is not downmixing 5.1 to 2.0 before sending it out the optical port - it is just passing the fronts through and ignoring the center, surround, and lfe tracks. Since the dialogue is pretty much all on the center channel this would explain your missing voices.

Hook it all up as described above and you should get a much better audio experience

There are no stupid questions. Stupid answers are a whole other story...........
post #9 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

I hate to ask this, but I am thinking about trying to spilt the component cable from the Wii so I can run one line to the tv and another to the reciever. This way I do not have the receiver on all the time. I only want to split the sound portion of the component cable. Will I lose much sound quality? Can I use a regular RCA splitter or do I need something special? The WII cable is a proprietary bundled cable unlike the other things hooked up. the bundled cable looks like this.http://www.prlog.org/10146078-wii-component-cable.jpg
so it can not be split up.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hate to ask this, but I am thinking about trying to spilt the component cable from the Wii so I can run one line to the tv and another to the reciever. This way I do not have the receiver on all the time. I only want to split the sound portion of the component cable. Will I lose much sound quality? Can I use a regular RCA splitter or do I need something special? The WII cable is a proprietary bundled cable unlike the other things hooked up. the bundled cable looks like this.http://www.prlog.org/10146078-wii-component-cable.jpg

You should be able to use any RCA splitter. While the Wii end of the cable is proprietary the other is standard.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

While it's generally better to run all sources through the AVR and then feed a single output from the receiver to the TV, that's not necessarily the case with the Wii. You are only using analog stereo audio from the Wii, so there's no reason not to run audio to the TV and out from there to the AVR when you want to use the sound system speakers.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

While it's generally better to run all sources through the AVR and then feed a single output from the receiver to the TV, that's not necessarily the case with the Wii. You are only using analog stereo audio from the Wii, so there's no reason not to run audio to the TV and out from there to the AVR when you want to use the sound system speakers.

I wish my tv would behave. When I run anything from my tv to the receiver it sounds awful. I do not have any component inputs in the back of my receiver and since the cable is bundled together I was thinking about a splitter. Do you think I would be better just cutting the cable apart so I get the individual wires? Then I can run video to my tv and audio to the receiver then I can have everything into the receiver and one line to the tv.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

ames12, are you the same person as makeavs?
post #14 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 10:04 AM

Yes,
I could not log in so I had it send me my password. (I thought I was resetting my makeavs password.) Looks like I signed up for this forum before and forgot. I am not sure what came first the AVS or the ames.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 10:04 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Do you think I would be better just cutting the cable apart so I get the individual wires?

Cutting what cable apart?
post #16 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Cutting apart the protective sheath that is around each of the individual component cables. So I would not be cutting any actual cables, just the case that is binding them all together.
post #17 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames12 View Post

Cutting apart the protective sheath that is around each of the individual component cables. So I would not be cutting any actual cables, just the case that is binding them all together.

That should be fine.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page