5.1 or 7.1 Receiver operating at 3.1? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-16-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all - first post. This may be a silly question, but because of my open floor plan great room, rear speakers aren't really an option without looking out of place... so my question is this, in a 3.1 type of setup, for good music sound (and tv / movies), would I be better off with a soundbar or with a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver, but utilizing only 3.1 (no rear or side channels active).

Does a 5.1/7.1 receiver operating in 3.1 mode even make sense? Is that just overkill? I'm looking to finally jump into the home audio market and want good sound (esp. for music!).

Hope this isn't a repost of any kind either - I searched around and didn't see any questions kind of like this one. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-16-2010, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey31 View Post

Does a 5.1/7.1 receiver operating in 3.1 mode even make sense?

Well, since there is no such thing as a 3.1 AVR, it makes perfect sense. 5.1/7.1 AVRs are designed to be specifically configured for 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.1, 4.0, 4.1, and 5.0 (6.0 and 6.1, in the case of a 7.1 AVR) playback. When fewer channels are utilized, the AVR will automatically reroute the info present in the channels for which you have no speakers to other channels so that you do not lose any of the soundtrack's info.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 4 Old 03-16-2010, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
thanks for the quick reply. that makes sense... I'm just beginning to look into my options and I've never really had a "home audio" setup before, so it's good to know that the receiver can retain the sound information even without all of the channels connected.

thanks again!
post #4 of 4 Old 03-17-2010, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
you will be much happier with a good 3.1 system for a "great room". A sound bar would struggle to even sound as good as a simple stereo pair of speakers.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page