Running speaker wire in Wiremold Cord Protector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-03-2010, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in a rental property, and want to send some speaker wire around to go out to my porch and around to my surrounds (and maybe put my right main on the other side of a doorway). I can't go through the walls, and I just fixed up a fiasco where I tried to fish wire under the carpet and really messed the padding up. So, I need a way to get my wire across a 3 foot doorway, then ill just run the wire along the molding. I bought this wiremold cord protector stuff that you see at gyms and stuff to keep people from tripping on the power cords. Its really only made for a 14 AWG 3 conductor. It looks like I can jam 4 16 AWG speaker wires in it, and maybe the fifth I kind of want. The question is will I run into EMI problems having the wires crammed so close together? Seems like it may be an issue at high volumes when the wires are pushing a lot of current.

Anyways, I bought a 5 ft version of this link:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I'll be placing the wires in that center channel of the molding that it shows, i may even me able to finagle a wire through the each of the side slats.

I appreciate the thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-03-2010, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
getting that many 14 awg pairs through wiremold can be done BUT I suggest you use the mid sized channel Running several speaker lines in a conduit is done all the time with no issues.

Plastic channel with a snap closed cover is the easiest to use. HOWEVER, with the weight of all that cable, the adhesive backing will NOT hold it to the wall. (I speak from experience here). I would suggest that in addition to the adhesive backing that you put a pan head 1/14" #6-8 screw with a fender washer through the back of the channel about every 8 -10 inches before putting the wires inside and securing the channel to the header above the door. Then you can put the wires in and snap it closed. Do the same for the runs down the door jamb.

BTW use Pan head screws so there are no sharp edges to gouge the speaker wire jackets. These are available at HD with Phillips head for easier installation.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-03-2010, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

I don't really want to go over and around the door. i just want to go across the doorway on the floor. i am using 16 AWG fwiw. anyways, it sounds like it shouldnt be an issue.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-03-2010, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
You did state that is was a cord protector and I didn't see that I saw the wiremold and that's where I picked it up.

You would have no problem electrically IF they all fit.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

The question is will I run into EMI problems having the wires crammed so close together?

No, they are all low impedance loads, virtually impossible to induce enought interfering current in them to be audible.

Quote:

Seems like it may be an issue at high volumes when the wires are pushing a lot of current.

Nothing, including wires, "push current". A load will draw the current it requires.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-05-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12

I'd second the motion to use screws rather than the adhesive backing, especially at a rental property. That adhesive backing does not like to come up. It'll take the texture or finish of the surface off right along with the molding, or it'll leave a lot of sticky residue w/ foam that's a mess to clean up. It's much easier to patch small holes the screws will leave behind.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

post #7 of 9 Old 04-05-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Check out the link. The OP's talking about something that sits on the floor, not stuck on the wall.

There are more choices than just the Home Depot product --

http://cableorganizer.com/cord-covers/
post #8 of 9 Old 04-05-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne View Post

Nothing, including wires, "push current". A load will draw the current it requires.

this statement seems pretty trivial since you knew what I meant and I was using what I thought to be speaker slang. If you'd like a proper rephrasing...well, nm I'm not going to bother. But it seems my question is resolved. As long as the roomate doesn't mind stepping over/on this thing then I'll get to jamming wires into it.

Also Wayne I'll be going over carpet. Not around the door. The doorway is really tall and doesn't have molding, so it would be a long run and look awkward. I plan on seeing how the protector sticks to the carpet on it's own. If it moves too much, then I may grab a couple Velcro strips
post #9 of 9 Old 04-05-2010, 11:12 AM

Liked: 13
You're welcome.

Quote:

If you'd like a proper rephrasing...well, nm I'm not going to bother.

You didn't know about impedance, and it wasn't apparent you knew about current either.....sorry for enlightening you
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page