will these speakers work with this stereo tube amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-11-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok, so i'm an electromechanical technology major, but when it comes to spending lots of money on gear, i dont trust my own intuition.... so here's the lowdown. i am hoping to pick up a tube stereo amp very soon, and newegg's got some polk bookshelf speakers that would look really nice on my desk. i just want to know if these speakers will work properly with this amp. the output impedance on the amp is 4Ω-8Ω, as is the impedance of the speakers, so i believe that is ok, however the amp only puts out 5W for each of the two channels, but the power rating of the speakers is between 20-150W per channel. will the amp be able to drive these speakers enough to sound good? i want quality audio (i use apple lossless for my audio files, and i have some nice sennheiser hd280s), but i'm sorta on a budget hence why i'm interested in these two components. let me know what you guys think, and if u don't think these speakers are compatible, can you explain why and possibly recommend me a pair of polk bookshelf speakers from newegg that WILL match? links are provided below... thank you to whoever helps!

GLOW AUDIO AMP ONE AMPLIFIER:
http://www.glow-audio.com/glowstuff.html

POLK AUDIO BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-098-_-Product
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-11-2010, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I personally misdoubt you'll be able to drive any reasonable speaker to reasonable loudness with only 5 W (Paul Klipsch's famous quote aside). However, it may sound loud enough, especially since the single-ended tube amps distortion will likely be dominated by the bit smoother-sounding second harmonic distortion rather than the more typical (and worse-sounding) third... In fact, 1 W may be enough average power, but the ratio of peak to average in music is about 17 dB, a factor of 50 in power.

My concern over time is that clipping generates higher-frequency content that can damage your tweeters.

All that said, I love the sound of a good tube amp... - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3 of 4 Old 04-12-2010, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 384
When using a low power amp one must use high sensitivity speakers. I suspect you'd need speakers with sensitivity greater than 100db. The Polks you mention are claimed to be 89db.

Selden
post #4 of 4 Old 04-12-2010, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like your spending too much on amplifier and not enough on the speakers. You've got it backwards. Spend your budget on a nice set of high sensitivity speakers and $50 for this.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-380
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page