Setting crossover to match my speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-12-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

Not too long ago I upgraded my sound system by adding a Klipsch Synergy 10" Subwoofer. I plugged it in and everything seemed to be fine. Not too long after however I found my sub wouldn't kick in at the right time or it would rumble at the wrong times and sound "off". I've tried to research crossovers and frequency response and db's but every website I go to seems to have conflicting ideas on what settings I should do. Here's what I have:

Fronts: A pair of old AudioSphere Research (AG-271) fronts with 2 8" woofers, 1 5" mid range and 1 2.5" tweeter. Its response is 35-25,000hz and its crossover frequency is 2500 & 7000hz.

Centre: A basic mid size Precision Acoustic centre with 2 5" mid ranges and a small tweeter (not sure of size)

Rears: Again, basic PA rears, don't know much about them

Sub: Klipsch Synergy 10" Sub - Range from 40hz-150hz

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V800.

According to one website I went to, I should set my frequency cutoff on my receiver to 60hz, unfortunately my receiver does it in strange stages and I can get as close to 63hz. It also states my crossover point on my sub should be also set to 60hz. They base this on the size of my woofers on my front speakers which are 8"s.. yet the frequency claimed by the speakers are as low as 35hz.

My phase is set to 0 which seems fine I guess, and my volume is dead centre. Based on these settings i'm getting rumbling at the smallest hint of bass, from the sub.

I know there are 101 places to go (including this site) to read up on this before I post, but that in itself has been the main confusion for me, so I figured i'd try some experts.

Also, one last thing.. should I just connect the LFE connection on the back of my sub, or the LFE and Right connection together??

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-13-2010, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Couple of things here. If you want to use your system for HT listening I would use the sub with those speakers and would set the crossover to 80 hz. Not sure what receiver you use but some older receivers don't use independent electronic crossovers on each channel but instead use one universal crossover point for all channels.

Not sure about your situation that is why I would go with 80 hz. With music and with those speakers I probably wouldn't use a sub and run them full range.

Subwoofers are designed to pump out that bass. In almost all situations its advisable to use the sub for home theater applications. Very few speakers are true full range speakers and you are almost universally better off using a sub and setting a crossover point.

As far as connecting to your receiver. If it has an LFE input then you would use one cable and go from the LFE output on the sub to the LFE input on the receiver. The red/white analog inputs on the sub are typically used to connect to a stereo system in which case you use the subs crossover to set an appropriate crossover.

Think of it like this...Its one or the other. In almost all situations with home theater its advisable to simply use the lfe to lfe connection. Forget about the other stuff.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

I will change my sub crossover to 80hz and see what difference it makes. I read that THX always recommends 80hz as a crossover so hopefully it makes it sound better.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
NO. Change your speaker settings to small in your receiver (regardless of the size of your drivers) with the crossover in your receiver set to 80Hz. (Your Yamaha may default to 80Hz when the speakers are set to small, my old RX-V2095 works that way) The crossover in your sub needs to be bypassed or if you can't then turn it to its hightest setting. Give that a try and report back.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-16-2010, 06:22 PM

I would like to add that recently i found that setting my distance for my sub to 3-4 feet less then what an auto calibration picks, or if you don't have auto call phisically measure from your sub to your listening position and take a few feet off the measurement when inputing to the receiver. This made the bass seem more accurate and "on time" with the other speakers really well.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page