New to 5.1 (about speaker placement and Dynamic Range Control) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-19-2010, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a (5.1) set of speakers to connect to my ( ). Some questions:

I have a question about the center speaker placement. I can locate it above the TV and below. I understand that if it's above, it has to point my head/ears. If I locate it below, it's much closer to ear level, the problem is that because of the TV stand, the center speaker is a few inches near me than the Left & Right speakers. I would like some advice on what the recommended position would be.

The other question is about the Right & Left front speakers. Do they have to be pointing directly at my head? What distance should they be from the TV? I sit at 5 feet from a 26" TV.

And the last question is a bit tricky, I thing. It's about Dolby Dynamic Range Control settings. In the soundcard's settings, I can set the dynamic range to the usual modes. But, in a video player like MPC-HC, there's a checkbox wich says "Dynamic Range Control", but it offers me no furthers options. What I'd like to know is, do the soundcard & MPC-HC settings interfere with each other? I mean, if I enable in MPC-HC AND in my soundcard's options, would I be doing a "double" compression?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcius View Post

I recently bought a (5.1) set of speakers to connect to my ( ). Some questions:

I have a question about the center speaker placement. I can locate it above the TV and below. I understand that if it's above, it has to point my head/ears. If I locate it below, it's much closer to ear level, the problem is that because of the TV stand, the center speaker is a few inches near me than the Left & Right speakers. I would like some advice on what the recommended position would be.

Ususally, I would think closer to ear level would be better, but there are lots of variables involved. Things like, is the speaker ported? What type of cabinet will it be in below the TV? How much breathing room will the speaker have inside the cabinet? My suggestion would be to try it both ways and see which sounds best to you.

Quote:

The other question is about the Right & Left front speakers. Do they have to be pointing directly at my head? What distance should they be from the TV? I sit at 5 feet from a 26" TV.

Speaker positioning has a large effect, but once again it's hard to answer your question because there are a lot of variables involved. Here are a couple of links for more info on setup...

AVS Home Theater Audio Setup 101 thread

THX Home Entertainment Setup Guide

Quote:

And the last question is a bit tricky, I thing. It's about Dolby Dynamic Range Control settings. In the soundcard's settings, I can set the dynamic range to the usual modes. But, in a video player like MPC-HC, there's a checkbox wich says "Dynamic Range Control", but it offers me no furthers options. What I'd like to know is, do the soundcard & MPC-HC settings interfere with each other? I mean, if I enable in MPC-HC AND in my soundcard's options, would I be doing a "double" compression?

Thanks

I don't know anything about this one, but I'm sure there is someone here that does. Good luck and enjoy your new 5.1 setup.

There's nothing to see here.

post #3 of 3 Old 04-21-2010, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page