Unable to get audio when connecting TV to router. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Samsung TV yesterday (UN55C8000). I connected all my inputs to the TV via hdmi (DirecTv Hd box, XBOX, bluray 3D player) I then connected an optical cable from the audio out on the TV to one of the optical input ports on my Yamaha Reciever. In my TV menu there are two options 1. TV Speakers 2. External Speakers. Selecting external speakers mutes my TV but nothing comes out from my speakers connected to the reciever.

I don't see what I'm doing wrong.

Please help

PS: I have a connection from my reciever (HDMI out) to an HDMI in on my TV but this should not have any effect right? Nothing is plugged into the HDMI port for Cable/Sat (the optical input option I used for connecting the TV.

My goal here is to have all audio from the TV routed to the reciever via the optical out cable. This is currently not happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Connect all of the HDMI outputs from external devices to the AVR.
Connect an HDMI from the output of the AVR to an HDMI input of the TV. Problem solved.

The only reason to connect the optical out from the TV is IF you're using the TV's internal tuner (which I don't think you're using).

Be aware that even if you get audio working (using your existing cabling scenario), the best you may get is PCM Stereo as most TV's will not "passthrough" Dolby Digital, DTS or better.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Ratman..... That is initially how I had my setup. I ran everything directly into the TV because I didn't want any loss in Video quality (especially for blu-ray) from connecting to the reciever then having the reciever send it to the TV.

The loss in video quality may be small... but I wanted to eliminate it all together. Correct me if my thinking is wrong.

Question: Can I run HDMI to the TV and optical audio to the reciever or will the device automatically always use HDMI (in cases where the device does not have a menu option to select output) ?
post #4 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunta kinte View Post

The loss in video quality may be small... but I wanted to eliminate it all together. Correct me if my thinking is wrong.

The loss should be exactly 0; the same video bits that are received by the AVR are sent on; except in the extremely rare case where you have less than 1080p coming in on the HDMI AND your AVR does upscaling for HDMI (most don't), but in this case the AVR would be enhancing the video quality.

Quote:

Question: Can I run HDMI to the TV and optical audio to the reciever or will the device automatically always use HDMI (in cases where the device does not have a menu option to select output) ?

Yes you can do it (most devices will output audio on optical at the same time as sending everything out HDMI), but the question remains why...

- way more cables
- no better video quality
- lower quality sound from Blu-ray

post #5 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

With no AVR... all devices with HDMI provide audio and video to the TV when using HDMI. Of course, it will be only "stereo".

If you want take advantage of the Hi-rez audio (DTS Master, Dolby-HD, etc, you have to connect HDMI from the Bluray to the AVR using HDMI (at a minimum).

If you want Dolby Digital and/or DTS from other externals, then you have to add an optical/coax connection each device in addition to the HDMI to the AVR.

If you want to use the AVR and have the best of options, connect as suggested previously.

If you don't care about audio, then as stated previously, the best you may get is PCM stereo from the optical output from the TV. That option will limit you to using Dolby Pro-Logic for surround sound.

If you want to pursue your existing connectivity option/course, you probably don't have the input assigned properly on the AVR.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Ratman

Thanks for laying out the options. Please answer the following questions for me

I want to get the best video AND audio possible. Will I achieve this by connecting the Bluray to the TV and an additional optical out to the Reciever? In other words, is digital optical out carry better quality in audio than HDMI?

Secondly, will I lose video quality when connecting to the avr then having the avr transmit to the TV? (I previously didn't care about this,
but with a new TV and 3d blu ray player, It matters more to me now.)

Bottom line... I want the best Video and Audio possible
post #7 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

IMO, connect the devices accordingly for best audio AND video though the AVR using HDMI (as it was designed to do).

I you have any concerns about losing video quality when using the AVR, only you can be the judge. Try both ways and determine if there is a difference.

BTW...
If you want the "3D" experience, you have to have an AVR that supports HDMI 1.4.
If it doesn't, then you have no choice than connecting HDMI from the Bluray directly to the TV. You'll have to possibly compromise by having a low-rez audio though.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 01:00 PM

Ratman

Thanks for laying out the options. Please answer the following questions for me

I want to get the best video AND audio possible. Will I achieve this by connecting the Bluray to the TV and an additional optical out to the Reciever? In other words, is digital optical out carry better quality in audio than HDMI?

Secondly, will I lose video quality when connecting to the avr then having the avr transmit to the TV? (I previously didn't care about this,
but with a new TV and 3d blu ray player, It matters more to me now.)

Bottom line... I want the best Video and Audio possible

-----------------

I would connect DirecTv Hd box, XBOX, bluray 3D player to the reciever via hdmi, than receiver (what kind???) to tv with hdmi - set correct setting with your receiver.

That will probably be the most efficient and best results you are looking for. Most likely, HDMI will give you the newer audio formats that optical can not do and you prolly will not be losing video quality.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I do my connections somewhat differently. I send the cable box signal directly to my panel via HDMI, with a digital coax to the receiver. This way, I can elect to use the internal speakers or have the DD surround via the receiver. By sending the video to the panel, I can have a separate calibration for TV vs the other high def disc sources, that I normally watch in Movie mode. Using a Harmony remote, if I want surround sound for TV viewing, I simply have the remote mute the internal speakers.

Running an optical or digital coax out of the Blu-ray player will obviate any high def audio codecs of the BD, giving you only the lossy codecs of DD or DTS. Best to just send HDMI to the receiver and bitstream the audio to it for disc play.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks gents..

Looks like I'll have to get a new AVR at some point... the current one isn't 3D ready so I won't be able to enjoy that feature if connecting through the AVR. (I haven't tested it yet but I don't anticipate it working)
post #11 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Try it... then you will know for sure.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunta kinte View Post

is digital optical out carry better quality in audio than HDMI?

No.
Quote:

will I lose video quality when connecting to the avr then having the avr transmit to the TV?

No.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page