Speaker Placement for Living room Help PLEASE :) I've included a picture to help. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 05-14-2010, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Try moving the furniture, the tv between the windows and couch 3/4 the way into the room. This will probably allow you to use a 7.1 setup with center surrounds on each side of couch and rears mounted on wall behind couch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'm thinking of going with this set 7.1 setup with an Aperion speaker set.. Credits go to Gertjan for the dipole rear suggestion; although, I think bipole may work too. Intimus 4c Center channel. The 4t or 5t tower speakers. Not sure about the side surrounds. Intimus 4bp bipole surround for rear. What do you all think?
post #33 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsserious View Post

Try moving the furniture, the tv between the windows and couch 3/4 the way into the room. This will probably allow you to use a 7.1 setup with center surrounds on each side of couch and rears mounted on wall behind couch.

The space between the windows is too narrow.
post #34 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by avhdfan View Post

Intimus 4c Center channel. The 4t or 5t tower speakers. Not sure about the side surrounds. Intimus 4bp bipole surround for rear. What do you all think?

I think combining the 4C centre speaker with 4T or 5T towers will result in an inconsistent soundstage, especially for sounds that pan across the front. Better instead to get three of the 5B bookshelf speakers for greater seamlessness and consistency, and save some money as well ($440 cheaper than 4C+5T). The towers will go lower than the bookshelves, but that frequency range will be covered by the subwoofers anyway.

You're also trying to shoe-horn a 7.1-speaker set-up into a room layout that's not suited for it. With the couch that close to the back wall, stick to a 5.1 set-up. Certainly better than a compromised 7.1 set-up that doesn't give you any meaningful rear-vs-side separation.

Heck, if I were in your place, I would just get five 5B bookshelves and be done with it (still cheaper than the 4C+5T combo you're considering). You can put the surrounds high up in the back corners of the room; the multiple reflective surfaces will provide good envelopment and the wide spread will maintain strong stereo imaging in the surround field.

Sanjay
post #35 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

While i disagree with Sanjay about the 7.1 vs 5.1, his points are not without merit. I'd check to see if you can return speakers easily, and if so, test both the 5.1 and 7.1 setup in your room, and go with the one you like best. Even if you have to pay some shipping costs, it'd be worth it to ensure you end up with the best solution for your room.

I do agree with Sanjay about the choice of speakers - Better to have speakers that are as closely matched as possible, especially for the front L/C/R. It made a big difference in my situation, and i'd not want to go back from 3 matched fronts.

"He who asks feels dumb for a few minutes, but he who does not ask remains dumb forever."

post #36 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan View Post

I'd check to see if you can return speakers easily

The Aperion speakers he's considering have a 30-day return period and the company pays shipping BOTH ways, which is about as 'risk free' as it gets.

Sanjay
post #37 of 43 Old 05-20-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I almost 100% agree with Sanjay, except that I think 7.1 is *okay* as long as you use identical speakers.

I would also go for bookshelf speakers with dual subs over towers with a single sub in most cases.

John
post #38 of 43 Old 05-21-2010, 10:09 PM

I recommended the tv by the windows because you said you were loking at a pn58c8000 plasma. If you have your plasma on the wall in that configuration you will have alot of glare,sure the sound wil be great, but your picture won't, trust me I had mine configured similar and ended up moving the plasma and speakers. My living room has the same walls and windows, moving it made for easier/cheaper speaker placement/choice and I have 7.1 setup and sounds great and picture looks fantastic now on sammie 58 plasma.
post #39 of 43 Old 05-27-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Now i'm thinking about this system.. using the definitive 800 series package with the 4 satellites as side and rear surrounds.. ProCenter 1000 and using the mythos sts as fronts they all have 1 inch tweeter and 4 1/2 mids so i'm thinking it will be seamless.

but I think this would be even better. I could go with the mythos sts fronts; the mythos nine center; and 4 mythos gems as sides and rears. the gem's have two 3 1/2" drivers instead of one 4 1/2".
Ill put the distance of the rear into the receiver since it will be a little further than normal placement. I can't put them closer than the corners..

What all do you think?

post #40 of 43 Old 05-27-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avhdfan View Post

What all do you think?

The Aperion 5B will likely move more air than the DefTech 800s and Gems, not to mention make for a more seamless sub/sat blend. I'd rather transition from the sub to a 5.25-inch driver than a 3.5-inch driver.

Also, your rear speakers are spread too far apart to anchor sounds behind you and too close to the side speakers to give you any meaningful rear-vs-side separation in the surround field. If you're determined to do 7.1 in that room, then consider placing the rear speakers on the back wall, spread roughly the width of the couch. This way, at least they'll sound like they're behind you and not some side-ish/rear-ish location.

Finally, stradling the listening location with a pair of subwoofers will help give smoother low frequency response. Rather than buying one large subwoofer, I would get a pair of smaller subs and place them against the walls on either side of the couch.

Sanjay
post #41 of 43 Old 05-27-2010, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well... what about Definitive Technology BPX on the rear wall... Definitive gem XL's on side; Definitive mythos STS fronts and Definitive mythos nine center. Do you all recommend about 2 feet above ear level on rear and side?
post #42 of 43 Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

or maybe 4 gem XL's. 2 sides and 2 rears instead of BPX rear due to the BPX possibly not voice matching the rest of the mythos setup (gem XL's, STS towers, mythos nine center channel or the ten)
post #43 of 43 Old 05-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

I've heard the BPX surrounds and they sound great. There's some used ones on Audiogon too.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page