Speaker Placement for Living room Help PLEASE :) I've included a picture to help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone. New here to the forum. Im wanting to get a new speaker system, receiver, and tv. I'm looking at the pn58c8000 plasma and I want a 7.1 surround set up. I have a picture with some ideas of how I want it setup. Any comments are welcomed! The living room has a big opening on the right and one on the bottom left. I have one layout that shows a 7.1 set up labeled "A". It has a right surround placed near the fire place. Figure "B" Shows another setup option with the surround near the rear, closer to the side of the listener from the couch. Lastly, figure "C" has a 5.1 set up. With there not being much room behind the sofa, 5.1 looks to be the correct setup; although I think the 7.1 arrangement might sound better, more enveloping. I'm thinking the surrounds and rear will be around 60" (around 5 ft) from the floor and with the surround speakers being a little out of place, volume and tilt adjustments may need to be made. I have read the recommendation for 7.1 rear surround, after reading some on the internet forums, is around 4 ft behind the sofa. I have the rear surround pointed slightly toward the wall to recreate a rear 7.1 dolby setup. What do you you people think? Also added figure "D" after the first two responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
C

post #3 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
"C" also. A and B will just destroy the soundfield Dolby mastered the audio for.
post #4 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Rear speakers are supposed to go, well, in the rear, not to the sides. So none of your options will work well IMO for the rear speakers. Remember - Your receiver is responsible for managing the timing and moving of sound between your speakers to create the illusion of the sound being in a certain direction / location around you. To be able to do that with a decent amount of accuracy, it assumes that your speakers are in the recommended layout, where the side speakers are on the side and the rear speakers are at the rear. All AVRs can compensate for distances by adjusting the timing when the audio signal is sent to each speaker (delay the sound to the speakers that are closer so that the sound arrives at the listening position at the same time from all speakers). But no AVRs that i know of can adjust for positioning that deviates too severely from the proper layout. So i would put the rear speakers on the rear wall behind the sofa. Get dipole / bipole speakers for that. Then put the side speakers to the side, like where they are in B (i think that's your best option for the side speaker placement.)

"He who asks feels dumb for a few minutes, but he who does not ask remains dumb forever."

post #5 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan View Post

Rear speakers are supposed to go, well, in the rear, not to the sides. So none of your options will work well IMO for the rear speakers. Remember - Your receiver is responsible for managing the timing and moving of sound between your speakers to create the illusion of the sound being in a certain direction / location around you. To be able to do that with a decent amount of accuracy, it assumes that your speakers are in the recommended layout, where the side speakers are on the side and the rear speakers are at the rear. All AVRs can compensate for distances by adjusting the timing when the audio signal is sent to each speaker (delay the sound to the speakers that are closer so that the sound arrives at the listening position at the same time from all speakers). But no AVRs that i know of can adjust for positioning that deviates too severely from the proper layout. So i would put the rear speakers on the rear wall behind the sofa. Get dipole / bipole speakers for that. Then put the side speakers to the side, like where they are in B (i think that's your best option for the side speaker placement.)

Look at the pictures again

C is a 5.1 scenario...i.e. no rears only sides and with the sides in the correct place.

The room is conducive to 5.1 only, no 7.1.

Using setup C the OP will get excellent surround sound.

post #6 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 867
C señor

Sanjay
post #7 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Look at the pictures again

Look at the OP again
Quote:
Originally Posted by avhdfan View Post

I want a 7.1 surround set up.

But feel free to shoot down people who are trying to give advice and educate people who ask questions. That adds so much more to this thread

Quote:

The room is conducive to 5.1 only, no 7.1.

As i explained, 7.1 is doable if he uses dipoles for the rears.

Quote:

Using setup C the OP will get excellent surround sound.

True dat, just not what he wants

"He who asks feels dumb for a few minutes, but he who does not ask remains dumb forever."

post #8 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As i explained, 7.1 is doable if he uses dipoles for the rears.

Doable, perhaps - but really only if he moves his couch several feet forward from the wall.

Quote:
True dat, just not what he wants

But he came here for education...

...IMHO the biggest lesson is that for his space 5.1 is optimal and will be completely enveloping.

A good 5.1 is way better than a severely compromised 7.1.

post #9 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
"c" is the only one that will work "well"...

i might even experiment with that a bit once they are in place and see what pointing the speakers slightly towards the back wall does...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

...IMHO the biggest lesson is that for his space 5.1 is optimal and will be completely enveloping.

A good 5.1 is way better than a severely compromised 7.1.

+1!

Ron
post #11 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Doable, perhaps - but really only if he moves his couch several feet forward from the wall.

I think if he uses dipoles he can get away with minimal distance away from the rear wall, like 1 or 2 feet.

IMO it's still better to have the rear channels than to not have them, similar in concept as it is better to have a center channel instead of doing that phantom.

But, that's all opinion / personal preference. I would try the 7.1 with dipoles. But the 5.1 setup in C is certainly a viable and good choice.

post #12 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think if he uses dipoles he can get away with minimal distance away from the rear wall, like 1 or 2 feet.

IMO it's still better to have the rear channels than to not have them, similar in concept as it is better to have a center channel instead of doing that phantom.

But, that's all opinion / personal preference. I would try the 7.1 with dipoles. But the 5.1 setup in C is certainly a viable and good choice.

Absolutely, it's all personal preference, but...

The side surrounds should be just slightly behind (as shown in image C). If he tried to do 7.1 the side surrounds would be in a far from optimal placement (whereas in image C they are pretty much optimal).

There is almost no 7.1 content - virtually all movies are 5.1. Most rear speakers stuff is guessed by the AVR, or worse, just a duplicate of the sides.

My preference is for 5.1 with all of the speakers in the optimal location. If there was another 4 or 5 feet behind the couch I might consider rear surrounds - but that's just my opinion/preference

post #13 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

The closer you place the couch to the rear wall, the smaller [the width of] the audio sweet spot on the couch for a 6.1/7.1 configuration. The alternative is the deliberate creation of a very diffuse rear soundfield . . . which might provide worse envelopment than a well configured 5.1 speaker layout.

[DSX and DPLIIz were created to provide outside-the-box 7.1 solutions for hard to configure rooms like this one. ]

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #14 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Do you have the ability to install in-ceiling speakers?
post #15 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Shep View Post

Do you have the ability to install in-ceiling speakers?

No.

Thanks all for all of your prompt and insightful replies! The reason I thought 7.1 rear would work is because from my understanding, they are the same as the side surrounds. I figure if anything, it'd make a more broad sound field. I figure I cant go wrong at least trying the 7.1 because I could just simply d/c them from the setup.. but I don't see how it could make the sound worse considering if the sides were in place. Seems like connecting the rears would just add more sound, if they are the same as the sides anyways (In dolby digital ex and thx and dolby pro logic IIx) I do want it for dolby truehd and dts-hd. The diagrams are pretty close to the layout but to put it into perspective, the corner rear to the sides of the couch are only about 8 feet.. so the timing doesn't seem like it would be too affected and I think it could possibly be calibrated like Gertjan said. GA here too btw.
post #16 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The rears are NOT the same as the sides, and it is erroneous to think that because there isn't a lot of true 7.1 content out there, you don't benefit much from a 7.1 setup over a 5.1 setup. 7.1 setups have been around for years, before BD etc were around (i have had one for years myself).

The DPLIIx algorithm (and similar algorithms) take however many channels are in the source material, and map that to the available number of speakers. You can have more or less speakers than there are audio channels in the source. The AVR will figure it out and extract and remix and route the sound to the appropriate speakers to get the best sound placement around you. And similar to the reasons why it is better to have a center speaker, it is better to have dedicated rear speakers than side speakers only.

If a 5.1 source contains a sound that is supposed to come from directly behind you, and you have a 5.1 setup, the AVR will have that sound come from the side speakers equally in order to try to phantom the sound in the middle between the 2 side speakers.

If you have that same 5.1 source with that same sound that is supposed to come from directly behind you, and you have a 6.1/7.1 setup, and you turn on DPLIIx processing, the AVR will extract that sound from the side channels and redirect it to the rear channel(s) instead of the side speakers. The DPLIIx algorithm is smart like that.

This is pretty much just like it would do with a sound that has to come from directly in front of you: If you have a center channel speaker, the AVR would send it to that speaker. If you do not have a center speaker, the AVR will send it to the FR and FL speakers in equal amounts to try to create the phantom center. And similarly if your source is a stereo source, and a sound is present in equal amounts in the L and R signal (which would create the illusion that it is in the center), the AVR can extract that sound from the L & R source channels and output it to the center channel to more correctly place the sound.

This is all provided you tell your AVR to do so. You can tell it to use the number of channels that are in the source, in which case the rear speakers would not be used or would be used differently in case the source is 5.1, and you would only truly benefit from the 7.1 setup if the source was also 7.1 . But if you have a 7.1 setup, i can highly recommend turning on the processing to use all 7 speakers to create a better surround field. All other things equal, a 7.1 setup is better than a 5.1 setup.

post #17 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Ok ! Very insightful thanks Gertjan! I think I have an idea! The couch is about 1 foot away from the wall.. What about this. Placing the rear speakers face up on the floor behind the couch. Seems like that would work well too considering the narrow area for the sound to travel between the wall and couch! Kind of like the ceiling approach.. Using diagram C and adding the rear speakers spaced behind the couch, on the floor, facing up.
post #18 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I dunno, you could try that i suppose... But i would honestly not expect it to sound that great. For it to work, sound needs to be able to seamlessly transition between the rear and side speakers without obvious changes in volume and timbre, you need the speakers to be at a similar height etc. I would expect that putting the rears on the floor like you propose will seriously diminish the ability for the rears and the sides to blend together. If you want to pursue a 7.1 setup, you should at least try to stay close to the recommended layout. If you cannot do that, a 7.1 setup is just not for you. In your case, i would seriously consider dipole speakers on the wall behind the sofa as the rear speakers. Then put the sides either the way you have them in B or C. I think the way you have the side right in B is better, since it is at least slightly forward from the rear plane. You could place the left side directly on the opposite wall for best sound on the sofa, or move it forward more like you have in B to make a compromise for the chair there.

post #19 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Why can't you move the couch forward two feet or so? You don't indicate actual dimensions so it is imposible to tell how far the couch is from the screen or what the distance/screen size ratio is? I agree with trying to get 7.1 using DDIIx if at all possible It is a huge improvement over 5.1.

fafner
post #20 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

With the sofa out a foot.. the screen will be around 11 ft away. And Im wanting a 58 in tv.. Pulling the sofa a few feet up leaving three feet from the wall will make it 9 ft from the screen but would make it closer to the right and left surround in figure B..

I was hoping that placing the rear speakers on the floor with the sound traveling up the wall would defuse basically making it just below ear level when the sound accesses the ear or maybe defused enough to be all over...
I also like the fact that the speakers in this position seem to be hidden.. where as in rear speakers behind the couch in plain view might give the room a "speaker look."
I do see what you mean Gertjan. I have heard that the rears and sides should be about the same height. I'm hoping this would allow a condition being that it seems it would be defused.
post #21 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm hoping this would allow a condition being that it seems it would be defused.

It would be defused alright. The thing is, you're adding these extra speakers to get better spacial localization. And that's partially achieved by having a smooth continuous sound from speaker to speaker. By putting them the way you're proposing, the continuous sound kinda goes out the window, and you're kind of defeating that purpose of 7.1 to a certain extent.

If you can pull the sofa forward another foot or so, put the sides to the side of the sofa, and put dipoles up on the rear wall, i think you get the most out of your setup if you want to do 7.1.

post #22 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I once tried rears lying on the floor and all I heard was mush. You can give it a try but as the person above just stated, you are really defeating the purpose of having a continuous sound all around you....preferable at about ear height.

fafner
post #23 of 43 Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Do dipoles rely on hanging on the wall for their sound? Or can they be flush against it sitting on like a sofa table behind the sofa? I don't want to nail holes in the wall and expose wires... so i'm thinking this would be the best bet..
post #24 of 43 Old 04-30-2010, 05:41 AM

Your room kind of sucks for 7.1, but you seem pretty set on having it. The only possible method is to take Gertjan's advice, move the couch forward, and use dipoles as the surround backs.

I personally would stick with 5.1 (option C) and spend the money you save on a better sub or fronts.
post #25 of 43 Old 04-30-2010, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifidavepa View Post

your room kind of sucks for 7.1, but you seem pretty set on having it. The only possible method is to take gertjan's advice, move the couch forward, and use dipoles as the surround backs.

I personally would stick with 5.1 (option c) and spend the money you save on a better sub or fronts.

+1

post #26 of 43 Old 04-30-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Also keep in mind that part of the fun of this hobby is upgrading your system incrementally to enjoy improvements over time. A 7.1 receiver can perfectly well handle 5.1 speakers. So you could go with the 5.1 setup for now, and then later up it to 7.1 if you still want that. That's a perfectly valid way to go. (In fact, that's how i did it myself.)

post #27 of 43 Old 04-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I 2nd what everyone else is telling you; 5.1 in that room would be better than 7.1. All your 7.1 arrangements are lackluster and, as such, will probably wind up being less enveloping than a less compromised 5.1 set up.
post #28 of 43 Old 04-30-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Gertjan, are bipoles better than dipoles? I read this:

" Definitive Technology - BPVX - Surround Speaker(each)

... said of Definitive?s bipolar surround speakers "they're actually better then dipoles for use with Dolby AC3 [Dolby Digital] digital surround systems.

-

Also I'm looking at the 5.1 systems with dipoles in them.. and thinking of using the intended front speakers as side surrounds and going with different front speakers eventually.. I don't know if the front speakers even small ones are good for being side surrounds though since they aren't intended to be..

Here are some 5.1 systems with dipole surrounds..
What do you think about these:

Nice and small.. I think these would be a nice choice and adding front speakers later and using the front speakers in this package as side surrounds.

================

Expensive.. not sure if its sounds good though..

================

This one's expensive... adding side surrounds later might work...

Over all I'm leaning towards the Paradigm Cinema 90 CT 5.1 Home Theater Surround Sound System.

As for the front speakers.. I'm thinking maybe the Primus P362 or one of these paradigms:

or

post #29 of 43 Old 05-02-2010, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I really cannot tell you which speakers are better. You will have to decide that one for yourself. Educate yourself by reading lots of stuff. It's more fun to learn & decide for yourself than it is to ask others, trust me

post #30 of 43 Old 05-02-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

With the sofa out a foot.. the screen will be around 11 ft away. And Im wanting a 58 in tv.. Pulling the sofa a few feet up leaving three feet from the wall will make it 9 ft from the screen . . .

If I'm not mistaken, the recommended seating distance from a 1080 58" display is around 8' to 9'.

Additionally, the main left/right speaker pair and the primary listening position should 'ideally' form an equilateral triangle, giving a 'recommended' separation for the main speaker pair which varies with the seating distance from the screen...

Seated 12' from the screen - space the main left/right speakers 13.8' apart.
Seated 11' from the screen - space the main left/right speakers 12.7' apart.
Seated 10' from the screen - space the main left/right speakers 11.5' apart.
Seated 9' from the screen - space the main left/right speakers 10.4' apart.
Seated 8' from the screen - space the main left/right speakers 9.2' apart.

These are only guidelines, of course...

[
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page